Hey all

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nOob grower

Reaction score
Very new to this, pretty much got bored since i have been laid off and needed something to do so I started to grow, cant smoke yet but i can grow. I dont have the best setup but it is working for now. I have attached some pics, im just growing in my room between the wall and my dresser. Any suggestions are appreciated since i have never done this before. I believe I am at the point where i move to a bigger pot and start fertilizing. The light doesnt go off, and its just a 200watt bulb that puts out over 3800 lumens, i am trying not to get too fancy here since this isnt my house, even though my dad knows i am growing i dont need to run up the electricity bill or anything on him so i am trying to stay simple.

100_0090.JPG

100_0091.JPG

100_0092.JPG

question... this 200w bulb... is it a CFL?

and... you don't need to transplant yet... you can, but u don't need to till about the 4th or 5th node.

and you see those 2 round cot leaves at the bottom?... u don't need to give neuts till they yellow/brown and die off... weak at first, and gradually increase. Of course, you shouldn't give nuets every watering... more like every third.

make sure your soil dries out in between waterings... I assume u have drain holes to allow any excess water you give the chance to run out?... you don't want to drown the plant...

and when u do transplant, I would sink the plant up past the cot leaf nodes and bury it right up to the first set of leaves (it'll help reduce height) - that's what I do.

and get some airflow on it - small fan on it will suffice.

just always remember... less is better when it comes to giving neuts.

and yer light... try and get it as directly above the seedling as you can.

I'll let others be more specific. :cool:

oh ya... welcome to the boards :48:

That crazy vancouver guy said:
question... this 200w bulb... is it a CFL?

and... you don't need to transplant yet... you can, but u don't need to till about the 4th or 5th node.

and you see those 2 round cot leaves at the bottom?... u don't need to give neuts till they yellow/brown and die off... weak at first, and gradually increase. Of course, you shouldn't give nuets every watering... more like every third.

make sure your soil dries out in between waterings... I assume u have drain holes to allow any excess water you give the chance to run out?... you don't want to drown the plant...

and when u do transplant, I would sink the plant up past the cot leaf nodes and bury it right up to the first set of leaves (it'll help reduce height) - that's what I do.

and get some airflow on it - small fan on it will suffice.

just always remember... less is better when it comes to giving neuts.

and yer light... try and get it as directly above the seedling as you can.

I'll let others be more specific. :cool:

oh ya... welcome to the boards :48:

Its just a standard house/shop light i got from Ace hardware, puts out quite a bit of heat, i was just looking at the lumens, i cant get too fancy considering im out of work. I do have drain holes, but i do water daily, but its a very small amount, i use a straw to water it, i do have a fan in the room, just not blowing on the plants, but i will set that up, last time i got the light too close, i burned the tip of one of the leaves, thats why it isnt that close right now, but im guessing if the fan is put blowing on it that will keep it from burning the leaves? I also have no clue what will grow as i have no clue what seeds these are, they came from a buddy out of a batch he bought, just some regular stuff he gets on a normal basis. as far as the nutrients go, i have done the research and know less is better than more, i just have to find the right fert mix, and have $ for it.

first hello and welcome :48:
that shop light will not do you any good ,,,try and get hold of some cfls cheap to buy and cheap to run ,,and you can put them within an inch of your babies without burning them and also get the fan on them to strengthen the stems ,,,goodluck :peace:

melissa said:
first hello and welcome :48:
that shop light will not do you any good ,,,try and get hold of some cfls cheap to buy and cheap to run ,,and you can put them within an inch of your babies without burning them and also get the fan on them to strengthen the stems ,,,goodluck :peace:

Problem is finding a CFL that will put out enough lumens that fits in a standard light fixture. I have some at the house but they dont put out nearly the the amount of lumens this one does. Now i guess i should ask if the lumens mean anything, i have read that i should be between 2000 and 3000 lumens. Remember i have to be cheap on this, and the bulb i am using also puts out a good amount of heat, since the weather here is fluxuating too much and isnt nearly warm enough to really grow in optimal conditions. and if i plugged in my heater i would start popping breakers due to the amount of computers i have in my basement. Im a tech guy and these computers arent going to be the first to go. if i could fimd a CFL that would fit a standard fixture i would be willing to buy it, just not sure if they make one that will fit the standard light fixture and produce the lumens needed, and i cant go out buying new fixtures to accomidate this either, but if i get the job i have an interview today i may beable to go high tech here :D

CFL's fit in standard light sockets.

LOL.... ummmm .... one changes to cfl's 'cuz they use LESS ENERGY than a standard tungstant fillament bulb.

right now u r drawing 200W... with a cfl, you can get a "150W " daylight bulb (what I use), but it only draws 42W of energy... you can get 3 - 150W's on there, for an output of 450W, and it would only be drawing 126W - less than your current bulb... and the lumens on the plant would be around 6000 lumens (if I remember the output correctly).

they were only like... $15 CAD

trust me - use the cfl's ;)

you can get them anywhere you can get regular type light bulbs :D

Ive seen the lights at Ace hardware, but i only have one light fixture. Do the Lumens actually make that big of a diff, like say if i used just 1, 150W CFL? The reason i went with the one i did was because it put out over 3800 lumens.

hey noob, welcome
more lumens will not get you better results, if you don't have the right colour spectrum, you will have better luck going with cfl's or flourescent. incandescent lights just don't work for growing marijuana
good luck and have fun, but beware, while smoking herb is not addictive. growing has gotten a lot of folks here hooked

brushybill said:
hey noob, welcome
more lumens will not get you better results, if you don't have the right colour spectrum, you will have better luck going with cfl's or flourescent. incandescent lights just don't work for growing marijuana
good luck and have fun, but beware, while smoking herb is not addictive. growing has gotten a lot of folks here hooked

I am about to go out right now and buy a CFL, and for right now I dont smoke, as i am looking for a job and would rather know i am clean going into a drug test than chancing it by trying to cleanse my system. But i know where you are coming from in the growing becoming addictive, i am having more fun growing it right now than i am doing anything else.

Another note is, I am growing in my bedroom, which i do sleep in, i just hang a blanket over my dresser cabinet door and part of the chair i have the plant sitting on to drown out the light a bit so i can sleep. And i am also only doing ONE plant for now, as i dont have the room needed to grow more than one at a time, maybe when i live on my own place ill try more. This is just a trial/fun run i am doing since i have been out of work for almost 4 months.

just wait till those little suckers hit there growing spurt, i think you will find this a very satisfying hobby, or "passion"
remember-- be safe and good luck

Wassup,
Welcome to MP brother, hope you enjoy all it has to offer. Like what was said above, growing becomes very addictive, you just have so much fun with it, especially when your results are better than anything on the market!:). One thing you should know about indoor growing is the light's relationship with your plants, there are many details you should study and look into just on lighting. The most important factor is the lumen rating, the more lumens the better. The minimum standard lumen rating for growing MJ indoors is 5,000 lumens per square foot, and during flowering you want to double this output if possible. Personally in my indoor set-up i currently have 66watts per sq. ft, but i am also using multiple 600watt h.p.s for the flowering phase. Good luck on the grow and dont hesitate to ask for help, there are alot of good growers here who dont mind helping others succeed. Peace and Love!!!!!!!!!
Roken.

i went out and bought a 45W CFL bulb, damn thing is huge, but it puts out like 2900 lumen which i do believe is good, especially since i only have one plant. Here are a few pics of how it looks now, i have also pointed my fan towards the plant to get some movement around and strengthen the stem.

100_0093.JPG

100_0094.JPG

oh ya... yer probably gunna wanna build yerself a little growbox soon too... so you can flower properly... you won't be able to flower in yer little makeshift tent.

here's a look at a smaller growbox I made recently . yours doesn't have to be even this big... in fact, you can make yerself a micro-grow utilizing different growing techniques. just read that link I gave you and you'll know what I'm talking about.:cool:

have fun, man... I do :D

http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23230

looks good, make sure your fan is not too strong for the little guy, sorry girl. and if thats foil youve got there try to replace it with something with flat white paint, you will get better reflection of light with no hot spots
your on your way good luck

The fan i am using is just a wind tunnel floor fan running on medium about 6ft away, not too strong, just enough to make the plant sway a lil bit constantly. As far as making a grow box or finding something to line the walls with a white reflective sheeting, that has to wait.
Unemployment = $636 a month
Bills/ciggarettes = about $1000 a month

I'm have to keep this at low cost until I find a job, so if there is anyone with cheap ways to make these items or obtain these items at low cost i am all ears.

have any white paper and tape around? ;)

and uhhhh.... quite the smokes... it's killing you prematurely anyways :p....

(as I type this with a smoke hanging out of my mouth and bothering my eyes...)

That crazy vancouver guy said:
have any white paper and tape around? ;)

and uhhhh.... quite the smokes... it's killing you prematurely anyways :p....

(as I type this with a smoke hanging out of my mouth and bothering my eyes as I'm typing this...)

How about white computer paper? Or maybe, even better, i have white gloss photo paper that would probably be better?

i would go with the computer paper, flat white is better than glossy
a nice big cardboard box with some flat white spray paint should'nt cost you much, just keep the mildew off the box with some diluted bleach every now and then

I wouldn't do it within a box (fire hazard)... just use the regular, flat white paper on the surrounding area... (don't be a fool and put it so close as to cause a fire hazard (above), or use it permanently)

keep in mind, this is only temperary until u get some cash to do things properly... pot takes a while to grow....

Latest posts

Back