HID-LED side by side comparison

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would like to see a side by side of a 300w LED and a 600w HID. IMO the led would outperform the hid. I've seen some 300w led panels on e-bay that are pretty 'cheap' considering the cost of the 90w ufo's about six months ago. They are 6th gen 1w leds there's 288 lights plus an aoutomated cooling system in the panel. Well I guess cheap is a bit of a stretch but go to ebay and search "tri band led" and this unit will be near the top of the page.

I plan on purchasing this exact unit in the future but I've already gone way over budget on my current setup. I'm going to buy the entire setup and do a side by side but don't hold your breath as it could be a year or more. I'll do a comparison between a 300w led and a 400w mh/hps and I'm already pretty confident about the results I will see.

I will risk to say that within the next ten years, perhaps 5, hardly anyone will use HID's or any other type of light *but* LED's for inside growing.

Of course, there will always be the person driving a Model-T, but the majority will be using the LED's that are getting better and better by the month.

In 5 years, there will be LED's that will be 10 times better than what is available right now. NASA will be the one who invents them probably.

The ever increasing ratio of new inventions is awesome. I've read that of all the inventors that have ever lived, 99% of them are alive right now.

That's pretty impressive. It's so exciting to be a part of the world right now. Over my lifetime, I've watched this "Invention Curve" rocket out of the Universe. Each 5 years in our future will come with so many new toys to play with.... :hubba: :D

How long do you think it will be before we are looking for an LED vs Plasma side by side. A 600w LED will probably cost $200 in one to two years, and as soon as LEDs are affordable and 90% of the growing community is using them somebody will come in and start gushing about how well plasma lighting works. Technology sure is great if you've got the means with which to keep up with it.

stonedrone said:
How long do you think it will be before we are looking for an LED vs Plasma side by side...?

Luxim Plasma Light Bulb Kicks Some Serious LED Butt

LED vs. CFL: Life-Cycle Study Shows a Close Race, but LED Likely to Take the Lead

At 140 lumens/watt, these pill-sized plasma light bulbs by Luxim are a pretty awesome contender for "light of the future". They are almost 10 times more efficient than traditional incandescent light bulbs, twice as efficient as current high-end LEDs, and they also beat CFLs, most of which are around 50-80 lumens/watt. Only the prototype 300 lumens/watt nanocrystal-coated LEDs can hold a candle to them.

And the light from Luxim's LIFI bulb is not ugly either: color rendering index (CRI) is 91. Lifetime for a bulb is estimated at 20,000 hours, and a relatively large amount of power can be pumped through them, allowing a tiny bulb to produce 30,000+ lumens (not something LEDs can do).

How is it that you know something about every single thread on this forum Stoney? I have only heard about plasma lighting recently, but you already know specifics about it. It's amazing.

stonedrone said:
How is it that you know something about every single thread on this forum Stoney? I have only heard about plasma lighting recently, but you already know specifics about it. It's amazing.
I've spent a lifetime being a researcher. During that time, I've read literally thousands of books. I have a pretty good memory for facts and when I hear of something, it generally reminds me of something I've read or researched, and that helps me find the information.

It's the magic of reading. I've been a reading addict since I was old enough to pick up a book. I started serious reading as soon as I was allowed to browse the shelves of a local library and sign out books.

When I was 10, I was given special permission by the library to sign out adult books.

After that point, anything that usually makes a kid say "Why does..." resulted in a visit to the library to find out the answer.

Graduating into research was a natural step in my own evolution.

The more you read, the more you learn. The more you learn, the faster you learn. The faster you learn, the more you learn in a period of time. As that time progresses, you tend to learn a lot as a direct result of reading.

The BIGGEST gift you can give a child is to teach them to love reading as a way to satisfy their natural curiosity.

Seriously the only thing that matters is quality of bud and quantity of bud in a given area. watts per sq ft or anything else doesnt matter at all.

Once I see and smoke some bomb weed thats been grown under LEDs i will be a believer, until then.......

greenfriend said:
Seriously the only thing that matters is quality of bud and quantity of bud in a given area. watts per sq ft or anything else doesn't matter at all.

Once I see and smoke some bomb weed that's been grown under LEDs i will be a believer, until then.......
That is true for some, greenfriend, but not for all. For quite a few growers, the costs are a considerable factor. How many watts of electricity they have to pay for matters a great deal.

Watts refers to the amount of electrical usage that has to be paid for. If someone can grow more weed with less watts, THAT is something that is a major concern to most.

I'll guarantee you that my up coming crop of LED weed will be bomb. That isn't even my concern or doubt. How *much* of it I can grow per/watt of cost is my largest concern, seconded only by how *much* of it I can produce per/sq ft of area.

However much I can grow, it will all be world class weed. I have no doubts about it.

The only bummer is that I can't start it right this moment!

Latest posts

Back