How does weed effect pregnant woman?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

louis

I was just wondering, how does weed effect pregnant women and there babies? I'm fixin to be a daddy, and told my girlfriend not to smoke, she proved to me that pregnant women can safely have one drink a day, and I was wondering, is there a chronic limit? Is it a no no all together? Or is the natural herb safe?

Thanks,
Louis

IMHO any smoking or drinking can be harmful to a babies development. You just never know man, you just never know. I myself would tell her to stop. Better safe than sorry IMHO. ;)

There are reports of it helping with mothers suffering from pre-term labor, morning sickness, and endamitriosis (think thats how its spelled). but they (laymen not dr.s) only recommend in tea or consumable type ways.

As far as smoking no. I do not agree that smoking anything or drinking anything would be of benefit to the unborn.

If you guys made the decision to have the child...why take the chance at all with anything regarding the childs well-being. As a father myself...when mine was born I check all them fingers and toes so to speak. I would not want to add to the fears by "maybe we shoulnd't have done this or that" IMHO.

MJ is untested in many regards to medical. So anything is a potential risk IMO.
They say drinking one drink is "safe" but not beneficial. best to abstain all together.

just my 2 bits.

edit: beat me to the draw yet again TBG ;)

Personally I agree with TBG. I have 3 kids and didn't smoke a thing while pregnant with them. For myself it wasn't worth the risk. Heck, with my 1st I even quit a 2 pk a day cig habbit!

But I have heard that some women who suffer from extreme nausea and vomiting can be helped by smoking mj if used as medicine. It can also aid in childbirth as a pain reliever.

I wasn't squeaky clean during my pregnancies by any means, but my babys did come 1st and like I said, it wasn't worth the risk to me.

Thanks everyone. She hasn't been smoking, I was just wondering if it would be safe to let her indulge. I am tryin to enjoy what I can, cause I got the feeling I'm not gonna have much time while the baby is young.

I feel differently about things done in moderation. Like a joint a month wouldn't be as dangerous as a joint a day.

Pregnancy only lasts 9 months. In a lifetime that's not much time at all. Put that baby 1st and try to be as healthy as you can. It's not just about the woman here ya know.

Congrats on your baby. :)

Thanks. I do tend to be pretty healthy (I only smoke in moderation.) I plan on giving up for a while, but I'll probably still grow, for fun, and to build up so I don't ever have to buy again.

HippyInEngland said:
Hi guys
I found this thread interesting so went looking to see what i could find and found this >> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3665226.stm

I personally think total abstination from any form of chemical stimulant is in mother and babies best interest.

Hippy

EEEK hippy that is some serious stuff man. that requires a D&C...not good.
Just as bad as a miscarraige on a woman.

Follow everyones advice....keep that baby healthy. ;)

HippyInEngland said:
Hi guys
I found this thread interesting so went looking to see what i could find and found this >> BBCnewsputsnegitivespinonpot

I personally think total abstination from any form of chemical stimulant is in mother and babies best interest.

Hippy
I'm sorry but did anyone read that whole artical? Nowhere in there does it say that marijuana causes anything, it says ciggaretts do so maybe they're talking about just the smoke.. either way it says typically the people who have those types of ectopic pregnacys get them from std's which also means that they are just ASSUMING that they smoke weed because they probably do other, harder, drugs too.

sorry for the run on sentance but there's no way i'm going back over that

You get the hardest question in the world award

ive read many many reports and studies done on the effects pregnant women smoking.
From everything thats been gathered...there is no straight answer and results are inconclusive.
Honestly, the only way to know, is to try it yourself.
and thats the hard truth that makes this a difficult question to answer

For the record, there has been accounts of children being born with no complications with a smoking mother. as there has been no complications with a non smoking mother.
then again there have been complications with non smoking mothers. And there were complications with smoking mothers.

personally, i would find it hard to make myself a lab rat, but on the other hand, if you had a child while you were ingesting THC and everything turned out fine, it would be a very compelling statistic.

i cant imagine how cannabis could possibly harm a human body after what i have experienced, but i dont know everything. Ive been split in two from this question for some time.

If anything however, i would not smoke it because it makes sense that it will restrict the amount of oxygen the fetus is recieving. But if it is ingested another way like eating it, i dont know how it could be harmful.

louis said:
she proved to me that pregnant women can safely have one drink a day

a drink as in alcohol!?!?!???!! if you are, then i highly advise agianst that. I dont know 100% if THC is harmless but i can tell you with 100% certianty that it is less harmful than alcohol

yeah id say a big no to the alcahol but i know that my parnter smoked right through her prenacy an also smoked ciggys(not as much as she usally does)but our son turned out to be perfectly healthy an was a good wieght an we was having 2 session a day.She was also the same with her 1st kid an she is healthy as an is now carrying twins which are due in a couple weeks an these babies are all healthy as in the womb at the moment an shes smoking each day but yeah of course any kind of smoking isnt good for you but just thought id add this into the convo

I appreciate the help, no. She doesn't drink, but I wanted to know about chronic, so I started doing research. Apparently one drink of alchohol a day is safe (One drink is either A: One beer B: One shot of liquor or C:One five ounce Martini. We both hate the taste of Alcohol so that's not an issue, just food for thought.

good thread.i was just coming on here to post this question,my partner in crime smokes wit me,not heavy,but we were curious wether or not she would know be able to smoke while pregnant.i know plenty of girls that smoke weed while being pregnant,but my girl has PCOS and has miscarried in january,i was just curious to know.shoot i wont even let her drink caffeine now being as tho were getting everything fixed with her now....this should be a sticky

I am currently at 5 months, and I do smoke at least twice a day. But, I have cut back SIGNIFICANTLY. I used to smoke 5 joints or so a day (with my hubby) and now I smoke more like two bowls a day. I only do this because I have NO appetite whatsoever, and I figure that not eating is more harmful than smoking a bowl so that you can eat to provide nourishment to the unborn. As far as harmful side effects goes, my mother smoked pot the WHOLE time she was pregnant with me, VERY HEAVILY, and I turned out just fine. I was a little small (5 pounds 10 oz) but otherwise in good health.

I smoke a bowl when I wake to relieve the morning sickness and so that I can eat breakfast and then I smoke another before dinner so that I can eat dinner and not hurl it right back up.

There is a BIG difference in smoking cigs and smoking marijuana. Cigarettes contain additives such as arsenic and other harmful chemicals that are not only not good for baby, but for mom either. I was a pack and a half a day smoker until about a month ago. One day when I went to smoke a cigarette I just couldn't stop throwing up. The baby let me know that he didn't like it. However, I do find that when I smoke my morning and evening bowls I have trouble moving around. It doesn't produce a "couch lock" effect, but it does make me light headed when I try to get up and walk around or do anything besides. I was told that the best thing to do is to make tea... not smoke. But I find it hard to believe that could be better, considering that when you smoke it goes to the lungs and to the bloodstream... but when you drink it or eat it it is ingested directly by the fetus.

I think it's a matter of opinion and what you are comfortable with. My doc says noooooooo to it... but my mom and experience from friends and family say it's okay in small doses. I would say let her smoke a LITTLE... but don't overdo it.

Also, as far as having a drink a day, my doc says that if you must drink, to drink red wine. It has positive effects on the heart and respritory systems that will be carried to the fetus. However, again, don't overdo it. One 8 oz glass of red wine a day is enough to give you the effects you desire and also to help out a little with your and baby's health.

Hope this helped.

~Metalchick

I'm not sure as to how it affects pregnancy, but I can say that it could take a woman who smokes wd longer to achieve pregnancy.

Latest posts

Back