How Long Do Seeds Last???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aaonehundred

I Am No1&No1 Is Perfect
Reaction score
In know this is OT but I don't know where else to post this question. . .I have about 30 seeds right now and I want to know how long these will last?? and how should I store them. . Thanks

theyre most likely already quite elderly.
i heard that even if you purchase seeds from a seedbank or a delivery place, apparently the seeds are already years old.
but i have no idea,
i would just keep em in a ziploc bag in a drawer for as long as you want
i could see no reason youd want to hold onto seeds for like 10 years haha

Seeds are pretty strong SOBs. I bet you could save seeds for 5+ years and they would still germinate.

A lot of people put them in the freezer, probably in an air tight container.

I just keep them in a cool, dark, dry area and it works perfect for me. If you have an air tight mason jar just put them in there and they will last a long, long time.

DRY is the important factor here! Keep them DRY!

I was told to use a 35mm canister put in a few grains of rice and place in the fridge..not sure about freezer..but was told would still be viable for 5 years..now the answer up there that said seedbanks have them on shelfs for years..IDK...but look at the bottom of this page...and you will find other links like this one that can help as well..good luck :bolt::bong:

I seem to recall reading about some freebies Sam the Skunkman gave away a while ago.............

If my memories serves me well, they were reputed to be 15 or so yrs old.

thedonofchronic said:
i would just keep em in a ziploc bag in a drawer for as long as you want
i could see no reason youd want to hold onto seeds for like 10 years haha
hahah .. .Not even close to 10 years.. .Thanks guys. .

bud.uncle said:
I seem to recall reading about some freebies Sam the Skunkman gave away a while ago.............

If my memories serves me well, they were reputed to be 15 or so yrs old.

I had those seeds in 2007. All 3 germed just fine, one was just a day slower. But who knows how old they really were.

The Effen Gee said:
We are having hard times getting our seeds to sprout that have been stored for 7 years.

They pop, then shoot...then stop...and die or dampen off.

This is from several different kinds, mostly northern californian outdoor.
That sucks. . .Wish you the greenest of grows .. I don't plan on storing them for more then 2yrs ..

you will be fine...take care and be safe:bolt::bong:

Yeah, I use film canister + grains of rice + dessicant (those little bags that soak up the moisture you sometimes see in electronics or other packages).

GrowinGreen said:
Seeds are pretty strong SOBs. I bet you could save seeds for 5+ years and they would still germinate.

A lot of people put them in the freezer, probably in an air tight container.

I just keep them in a cool, dark, dry area and it works perfect for me. If you have an air tight mason jar just put them in there and they will last a long, long time.

DRY is the important factor here! Keep them DRY!

4u2sm0ke said:
:confused2:

:rolleyes:

:bolt::bong:
Better late than never right 4u.
I had the same problem as Effen Gee, 10 yr old seeds sprouted then died off. Film canisters and rice has worked for years

Latest posts

Back