How tall can I let my plants get? see pictures

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maryjanenewbie

Reaction score
Can you guys give me an est. on how tall I will be able to grow my girls in these pots? They are 5 gal nursery pots, These pots arn't actually 5gals are they? Plants are from 6"-9" and 4 weeks old now. What height should I start flower stage for max yield? Room has 8' ceiling less lamp hood.

well you gotta figure the ladies are gona chase the light and jump twice and more theyre current height, unless they are not mature then theyll just stretch till you get preflowers and ude waste alittle bit of time.

id say let them get 12-15" in veg since you got 8ft. keep your temperatures nice and keep your light penetration as best you can. evryone likes dense buds.

take ez dude
those look beautiful

HI,

Those look like 3gal containers to me. What is your light MJN? If you have a HPS/HID light you can flower them a bit bigger because the light will be able to penetrate the canopy much better than fluoros. Whether you're using HPS or fluoros you'll want to keep them shorter and more compact so that more buds get maximum light but with fluoros it's more critical to keep them short.

Like anaujiram_Es sez 12" - 15" will give you plants that end up approx 24" - 30"... they may not be sexually mature enuf to flower for a couple more weeks and if you go to 12/12 too soon they will stretch until they are mature enuf to start flowering. They probably have a couple weeks until they will be mature but if you see preflowers they are mature. Another indicator of sexual maturity is the production of 'alternating nodes' which is branching like the pics below...

Peace!:cool:

26_Non_Alternating_1.jpg

26_Alternating_nodes_1.jpg

maryjanenewbie said:
Can you guys give me an est. on how tall I will be able to grow my girls in these pots? They are 5 gal nursery pots, These pots arn't actually 5gals are they?
5 gal. nursury pots = 3.4 gal at my home depot. It says on the label on pot on the ones I get but you gotta look close. I heard somewhere 1 gal of soil for every foot of height but can't remember how accurate the source:eek:

I agree with above post, looks like three gallons. I think plants are sposed to be puting on preflowers after 4 or 5 growth nodes, from seed. I grew out some clones last winter in pots that size. One got about three feet tall, they were store bought clones, and flowered as soon as I brought them home. They were under t5's.
Good luck to you.
Beautiful plants too.

maryjanenewbie said:
pre flowers will only show when i switch to 12/12 correct?
No, most strains will show "pre-flowers" after reaching sexual maturity at near 6 weeks of age.

The "pre-flowers" are just identifying characteristics of the plant that show it's sex upon maturity.

When you switch to 12/12, you'll be seeing the actual flowers that will grow on your plants, not "pre-flowers".

BTW, I also have an 8 foot ceiling, but use hydro. When my plants are at 18" tall, I switch to 12/12. The plants are usually at 5 feet at harvest. This leaves enough room for the distance from the lights.

Good luck to you!

If you top your plant at 24" in veg, will it grow taller during flowering, or does it stay 24", I mean i know that the other branches might get taller but if you top all top branches, wouldnt they stay 24" ???

no Tito, from what i have been told and have read they will double or triple is size, so your 24 will be 48 or even 72 at harvest

Latest posts

Back