How to avoid hot strikes?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
N

nvthis

Well, winter is fast approaching and it's got me thinking...

I read somewhere (can't remember now) about some piece of equipement that will shut your system down during power surges and you have to reset them manually. Is this right?

Mine runs through the circuit breaker (of course) and through a heavy duty strip. This won't stop restrikes during momentary loss, though. So what to do, what to do? What does everyone else do? Ideas anyone?

Oh, also, I shine at night so sleeping through any event is highly likely..

Mmm... No, I don't think that was it. I could be totally wrong, but I am pretty sure. By memory it was slightly more specialized then that. However I suppose at the end of the day maybe it might do the same thing? Thanks man.

nvthis said:
Mmm... No, I don't think that was it. I could be totally wrong, but I am pretty sure. By memory it was slightly more specialized then that. However I suppose at the end of the day maybe it might do the same thing? Thanks man.
Yes, you can get a high quality "Whole House Surge Protector" that will not let spikes slam your equipment. I've used one for several years now. I would suggest going onto a Home DIY site and asking about them. The electricians on the site will guide you to the right purchase and tell you how to install it properly.

Our power utility calls it SurgeSense and will install it for about $175. I believe it arrests the surge at the meter and before the breaker panel. Check with your power utility would be my advice. Over.

When I first read this, I thought you were talking about hot flashes. In my experience, there is no protection from hot flashes except to cower in the basement with the dogs until it passes.

ArtVandolay said:
Our power utility calls it SurgeSense and will install it for about $175. I believe it arrests the surge at the meter and before the breaker panel. Check with your power utility would be my advice.
Is there a monthly service charge associated with the installation of the device, Art?

The one I bought is a small box about 4" x 4" and installs directly into the breaker panel in the house. It has a couple of small red lights on it that lets you know it's enabled and working.

It also comes with a $25 thousand dollar, 5 year warranty for all of your household appliances and electronic equipment.

You'll have to go to "Intermatic.com" to find it. There linking URL's are really stupid.

No, Stoney, no monthly charge. You can purchase it or lease it (for a monthly charge). It's advertised to protect major appliances. The utility claims, however, that 60% of surges happen within the home. Then they try to sell you surge-protected outlets, too.

Like yours, it installs at the electric meter and redirects lightning (surges) hits.

He's not trying to avoid surges, he's trying to avoid hot re-strikes when
the power goes out and then comes back on. There is such a device,
but it's name eludes me.

Kcar said:
but it's name eludes me.
That's nothing more than a UPS, (Uninterruptible Power Supply). It maintains house current, prevents brown-outs, rapid on-offs and surges from damaging individual equipment. You can get one that is device level up to house level.

Or perhaps they've invented something I'm unaware of...

Kcar said:
but it's name eludes me.

Exactly;)

Stoney, Art I humbley appreciate the great info and it may be the course I need to take. Keep it comin' bro's!

But $175.00 and the help of an electrician? Mm, I was kinda hoping for something a little more appliance specific. I read somewhere (I am starting to doubt myself a little here, so at least I am pretty sure I think I read it:eek:) about some piece of equipment that you attach directly to your grow and during an outage (even momentary) it will shut the system down until you manually reset it. Some guy was talking about having just picked one up and how it worked.

If I can get the time tonight I will surf it up on line if I can.

nvthis said:
Exactly;)

Stoney, Art I humbley appreciate the great info and it may be the course I need to take. Keep it comin' bro's!

But $175.00 and the help of an electrician? Mm, I was kinda hoping for something a little more appliance specific. I read somewhere (I am starting to doubt myself a little here, so at least I am pretty sure I think I read it:eek:) about some piece of equipment that you attach directly to your grow and during an outage (even momentary) it will shut the system down until you manually reset it. Some guy was talking about having just picked one up and how it worked.

If I can get the time tonight I will surf it up on line if I can.
Hey nvthis, there are programmable UPS's. They have ones that will support a LOT of power for a short, shut-down time. You program it to begin the shut down if the power outage lasts longer than ten seconds or so.

Do a search on auto-shutdown UPS. That should get you some results. The larger ones are costly, but I've seen them run an entire lab for a ten minute shut-down. You can use them on individual equipment or in a "shared" environment.

You could wire a magnetic breaker in line. So if a surge happens it will throw the breaker and you would have to manually flip it back. I lazily have used some for on and off switches :cool:

****-dog said:
You could wire a magnetic breaker in line. So if a surge happens it will throw the breaker and you would have to manually flip it back. I lazily have used some for on and off switches :cool:

I am, admittedly, more of a plug'n'play kinda sport, but explain more please...

It is just a little magnetic breaker. It has a positive and negative connection. You can just wire them in line.

You would, if you just want it for you lights, would want to pick one with a slightly higher wattage/amperage than your lights pull. If the mag breaks you just set it back. Any electronics supply store/computer store should have them.

Watts to Amps: Amps = Watts / Volts
Amps to Watts: Watts = Amps x Volts

This one is CRAZY expensive but serves the purpose of a picture. I would expect a 20 - 40 dollar range.

hxxp://cgi.ebay.com/Thermal-Magnetic-Circuit-Breaker-TMC-Style_W0QQitemZ330366484047QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4ceb607e4f

StoneyBud said:
Yes, you can get a high quality "Whole House Surge Protector" that will not let spikes slam your equipment. I've used one for several years now. I would suggest going onto a Home DIY site and asking about them. The electricians on the site will guide you to the right purchase and tell you how to install it properly.

Ideally a back-up generator would be in place..coupled with the surge protectors you wouldn't have to worry about power outages...the only problem is that by the time the generator takes over your HIDs are out and will need time to cool before "re-igniting" them.. which in theory could be wired on an electronic 'counter/timer' (by an electrician) to avoid any chance of failure..it's easier said than done,but technically you could 'automate' everything so if there is an outage while your out of town...
sorry for rambling.. the subject got my gears turning:hubba:

nvthis I too have read where there is a manual type of timer that when you lose power it will not re-light unless you do it manually. ...Thanks now you have me looking to where I have read this previously.:laugh:

pcduck said:
nvthis I too have read where there is a manual type of timer that when you lose power it will not re-light unless you do it manually. ...Thanks now you have me looking to where I have read this previously.:laugh:

BINGO baby! See? Oh man, I thought I might have been seeing stuff. Again.

Kcar said:
but it's name eludes me.

We had the same thing on the central air when living in SoFla.

Like a timer sort of deal that would keep the compressor from trying to re start for 5 minutes or so after a momentary outage. It let the pressure bleed off for a safe re start and do it automaticly, unless the breaker tripped. We had lots of momentary outages during the rainy season.

I can't think of the name either, but the devices have been around for at least 14 years.

DD

Latest posts

Back