How to thicken up stalks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MechaniMan

Reaction score
Is there any way to thicken up the stalks for more support? This is only my second grow but mine don't seem to get any thicker than a pencil or maybe a Sharpie permanent marker on the main stalk.
20221010_101913.jpg

nope

its 99% in the genetics

some plants , like the Arcata trainwreck and the Genius from the c99 family , very thin stalks and a real viney plant that needs a lot of staking and supporting , i real challenge to grow , flops a lot

some people swear that silica helps build a more fibrous stalk but I never seen no difference when I used it

nope

its 99% in the genetics

some plants , like the Arcata trainwreck and the Genius from the c99 family , very thin stalks and a real viney plant that needs a lot of staking and supporting , i real challenge to grow , flops a lot

some people swear that silica helps build a more fibrous stalk but I never seen no difference when I used it
Precisely what these are, long spindly and floppy

For me, which means indica leaning plants, I wait to top them. At least 6 th or 7th node. For me, it seems to have a much better root system than would be if topped earlier. This also serves to thicken up all the stalks, especially on subsequent toppings. (usually 2 is enough for me.) Downside is, it will add a couple weeks to your veg time.

At this stage, I guess just tie them up. I've had plants that all the colas want to hit the ground....not the worse problem!

I find improved yield with the above method, over veg 4 weeks, cut, then flower.....which works but seems to yield a higher percentage of good nugs, but smaller size.

Bubba

I will be building a larger room for my next grow because there's no way I'm going to fit 15 plants in this tent. We should be able to get me netting up faster
For me, which means indica leaning plants, I wait to top them. At least 6 th or 7th node. For me, it seems to have a much better root system than would be if topped earlier. This also serves to thicken up all the stalks, especially on subsequent toppings. (usually 2 is enough for me.) Downside is, it will add a couple weeks to your veg time.

At this stage, I guess just tie them up. I've had plants that all the colas want to hit the ground....not the worse problem!

I find improved yield with the above method, over veg 4 weeks, cut, then flower.....which works but seems to yield a higher percentage of good nugs, but smaller size.

Bubba
On my first one I had to tie up every plant, it was ridiculous. There were strings everywhere 🤣. I built a 3-in mesh scrog net for this one which I like because it seems as though the plant actually grew a couple inches once I put it up. My best guess is that it don't have to support itself anymore so it put that into growth.

One crazy idea I had was to use wire coat hangers and cut pieces of wire out of them and then just tape them to the stem with landscape tape.

Me no care how a man ties his buds up, as long as it works! usually it is whatever is in grabbing range.

Bubba

genetics baby

the group I grew this year had several plants that had some really thick stalks , so thick that I did not need any stakes to hold them up

i love those genetics!
My Goat ad Monkey Ultimate OG had no trouble holding up its buds...When I see thick stalks on the cola branches, its like the plant is saying "watch this" or something!

My Goat ad Monkey Ultimate OG had no trouble holding up its buds...When I see thick stalks on the cola branches, its like the plant is saying "watch this" or something!

yep yep , we have two of those babies that are close to harvest and they have some big fat colas

I was one of the main reasons I topped my plants so many times this run, the colas became so heavy on the first run. Made for an excellent yield but it was a pain in the ass.

Latest posts

Back