HR 5843 is the Act to Remove Federal Penalties

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

md.apothecary

Art is Resistance!
Reaction score
HR 5843 is the Act to Remove Federal Penalties For Personal Use of Marijuana by Responsible Adults.

Introduced to House April 17 by Rep Barney Frank (D-MA).

To "eliminate all federal penalties prohibiting the use and possesion of up to 100 grams (three and a half ounces) of cannabis, as well as the not-for-profit transfer of one ounce or less."

Franks:"[in a free society] people are allowed to make their own choices as long as they are not impinging on the rights, freedom or property of others."

not to burst your bubble but it was post in April and i posted as well as others. but none the less if this passes it means squat until your state passes or changes laws on it. I know it won't pass this year as this is election but i think i read somewhere they will reintroduce the bill next year.

Also check out HR 5842 and the Hinchey-Rohrabacher Medical Marijuana Amendment

If you are in like a federal park or something and this thing passes can you smoke freely or could state police still do something?

i hope this goes through even though states laws are still there. Its still a step for the cause.

im sure that if the feds made a change the states over time would follow

it might not happen this year but one day it will. the way people think of mj is changin. the kids of the 60's and 70's are getting into positions of power. someday it will change.

yea aint our government crazy, i mean they approve all these perscribed drugs, people get them and some die from them. they take them off the market.i have never heard of anyone dieing from taken a hit from a joint,pipe,bong or whatever. i dont know maybe there has but i would be willing to bet that more people have died from FDA approved perscription drugs, then has from smokeing marijuana..... just my thoughts...

Megatron said:
You know... I spent the last half hour typing my thoughts just to have the server too busy.. Just to have everything deleted.. TSS
Happens to the best of us:).

Kludge said:
Yeah and a lot of them have become all hypocritical like Clinton did sending the DEA after medical marijuanna users.

Sorry, I just don't trust anyone.

-- edit --

Oh, I do like that Obama has come out in support of MMJ.

your not seriouse on that comment on Obama are you? You know i think he dosen't know for sure.

UPDATE ON THIS BILL

Source - Norml

NORML Press Advisory: US Lawmakers To Hold Capitol Hill Press Conference Tomorrow To Urge Ending Federal Marijuana Prohibition

July 29th, 2008 By: Paul Armentano, NORML Deputy Director
Share this Article
delicious.gif
digg.gif
stumble.gif
facebook.gif
technorati.gif
rsslogo.gif

barney%20frank%20crop.jpg

WHAT: Congressman Barney Frank (D-MA) and other House members will convene a press conference on Wednesday, June 30, in support of legislation to remove federal penalties for personal marijuana use, and take questions from the media.
HR 5843, An Act To Remove Federal Penalties for the Personal Use of Marijuana by Responsible Adults, seeks eliminate federal penalties for possession of up to 100 grams of marijuana, and for the not-for-profit transfer of up to one ounce of marijuana.
Representatives from the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws (NORML), the Drug Policy Alliance (DPA) and the Marijuana Policy Project (MPP) will also participate in this press conference.
WHEN: Wednesday, July 30, 2008 at 10:00am
WHERE: Room 2220 Rayburn House Office Building
CONTACT: R. Keith Stroup, NORML Legal Counsel, at (202) 483-5500.

Cant win if we dont try people at least we do have some people in places trying to make the change and as we all see this is more of a bill that targets personal use not medical use so it wil be a tougher fight to pass but i believe its a step in the right direction.

there is also a bill for mmj users. its HR 5842. just shearch norml's website it has it all there..

i agree with dubbaman. can't win if you don't fight.

I hope more for HR 5842 its more applied to protecting individuals at fed leval so long as they are in compliance with state laws :cool: the bill HR 5843 makes no changes in whats punishable for things like cultivation transportation etc. A couple links

hxxp://www.house.gov/frank/hr43summary.html
hxxp://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd?bill=h110-5842

Latest posts

Back