Humidity - How important is it really?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

medicalGreenGrower

Reaction score
i've got a small closet grow and i'm getting humidity levels up to 70 percent. it feels really dry in there but that what's the gauge says. i can't afford 200 bucks for a dehumidifier, especially when i might have to spring for an air conditioner if i can't keep my temps down (using co2 hoping never to go above 90 and need air) this summer. my second concern is adding another energy draw to my house. i got my bill today and for a small closet grow with 750 watts of light, it was over 200 bucks. usually, it's less than 50. i certainly don't want to add to that bill if i can avoid it.

if humidity is a killer, then has anyone tried the Eva-dry products that work by absorbing liquid and then you plug them in to dry them out? hXXp://www.amazon.com/Eva-Dry-High-Capacity-Renewable-Dehumidifier/dp/B001E3FZDY/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1241066610&sr=1-6 If not, i'll take any recommendations on cheap ways to dehumidify. thanks.

mG2

:yeahthat: mold is the main thing u want too watch for, obviously with very high humidity like 80% plus isnt going to be good as it tends to help towards heat stress i found.

When using CO2 don't you want your grow room in the 90's?
If your 750 watt small closet grow is adding that much cost, you must have something running, That should not be, like an air conditioner.

For me to add 750 watts to my electric bill for a month of flower is $18.90 and for a month of 24/7 it is only $37.80. That is at $0.07/kWh your rate would have to be nearly 3 times that to justify a $150 increase

have you watered or has it rained recently or were the lights out when you took the reading? Humidity will be higher during any of these conditions.

I get 80% + humidity in my box. 80% around here these days is low humidity :D. IMO just make sure you're moving a lot of fresh air through your box 24/7.

budders, thanks for the heat heads up. heat has always been a big problem for me since i'm in a tiny space. i found some dehumidifiers that say they have no moving parts so i hope that will keep the heat issue at bay.

pcduck- you're right about the electric costs. i remember i did some calculations before i started on cost and it was supposed to be 20 bucks a month for lights but i never figured on the pumps and fans. i've been running several computer fans, a dayton 250cfm and an ecoPlus 600cfm fan 24/7 but i've put the big fans on timers now and i think i will do the same for the computer fans. i'm going to lengthen the time between floods and not flood at night anymore. hopefully this will save some electricity and money. with that big a spike i'm worried now i'm going to get a visit or call from the electric company.

mG2

the 20% -30% is me. I added a humidifier to my room to bump up the RH to 45% now. At least I know when I get to flowering I can get the RH back down to a safe level.

Latest posts

Back