Hydro/aero, viens yellowing, tips dieing w/pics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CitrusVenom

Beyond the Kaiper baby!
Reaction score
*I just discovered a ph discrepancy between two brands of test strips (explained below), so I'm not sure which to trust.

ph from test strips that came with hydro system: somewhere between 6.25 and 6.75 (two color test strip, top color is 6.25 and bottom is 6.75, chart shows in pairs) Original ph of tapwater below levels on comparison chart, so lots of ph up added. Tap water smells and tastes strongly of chlorine, but reads below chlorine test strip (the kind for pools).

From pool test strips: ph 8.4 + (both readings just taken twice with each type of strip, but this is the first time I've used the pool test strips) 0ppm chlorine, total alkalinity between 120 and 180ppm. 0ppm stabilizer lol.

Lights: 16 daylight 8 night; 85 watt full spectrum and 85 watt flowering (2700k) at 4-6 inches

Bubbler: on 15 minutes of each hour (most of the time)

Ambient temp: 84F peak during light hours 67F low peak during dark hours. Water stays between 64 and 67F.

Humidity: between 34% to 50% on any given day and depending on whether or not the lights are on. Though the strain apparently prefers low humidity, it says nothing about complications due to high humidity.

Nutes/solution: SH Grow and micronutrient formulas + H2O2, water (is cloudy white probably due to the dead algea bloom that has come out of the pump and watering hoses (happens in pools too) it was a very light green/yellow when first mixed. Nute solution is 5 days old. No indication of nutrient values on package. Solution was in for about 7 days the first week in hydro, they are good for 7-10 days as per the package though I was planning to stretch them to 14 just to keep things easy)

Roots: white/offwhite and very thin for the most part, but lots of (hundreds if not close to a thousand) of tiny 1cm long root tips all sandwiched side by side growing from the main roots. they were slimy prior to changing the nute solution, but where dried and rinsed throughly. No slime currently.

Plant height: between 6-8inches (expected height is 2.5 ft)

Plant age: 3.5-4 weeks from seed flowering time is 7-8 weeks.

Strain: White Widow x Sweet Tooth

System: Stealth Hydro bubbleponics 6 gallon, 6 plant system

Medium: Hydroton (thoroughly rinsed, no dirt or orange/brown stuff in tank)

Environment: Ventilated tent with fan and exhaust running 24/7. Negative ion environment.

History: started in miracle grow organic soil (was growing just fine) and moved to new hydro/aero system. Plants grew fast, but started to yellow in the veins on some plants during the first week of hydro. I discovered an algea bloom in my tank and that the ph had apparently fallen below 4.5, so I removed the plants and scrubbed everything out thoroughly with soap and then ran pumps w/ bleach/water solution. Rinsed system thoroughly and ran fresh water through pumps and aded premeasured nute powder and mixed with 150ml of 3% H2O2 (no inactive ingredients other than distilled water as per the bottle, but it is the drug store stuff), tested ph with hydro strips and measured out the ph up powder twice and added to tank, tested again and got the the same results I got today.

Oh and one more question, is alfalfa tea a replacement for other grow nutrients or just a soil fertilizer?

IMGA0004.JPG

IMGA0005.JPG

IMGA0006.JPG

Latest posts

Back