I know this sounds CRAZY but....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

popart

Reaction score
I woke up this morning with both my eyes very swollen, eyelids and the inner corners and undermeath. I was poking around the internet and saw an article about this being cause by Corneal Burn -- from bright lights.....
I have a 5x5 grow tent with 400w HPS, I was checking trichs last couple days and I'm wondering if this is what happened? Do you guys wear eye protection? and if so - then how can you tell the color of the trichs? egads - this sucks!

I use an inspection lamp if I am checking trichs, or just power up the CFLs by themselves and leave the hps OFF. What you are talking about is usually 'arc eye' caused by high levels of ultraviolet. It is a burning sensation like your eyes have sand in them. You'd have to spend a while - probably more than 15 minutes - exposed to strong UV. If this is what is happening it sounds like your lamp is unsafe.

It's a brand new lamp, I've only had the setup for about 2 months. So you use your cfls after the HPS turns off?

Never heard of such a thing...I dont use any eye protection...I will tell ya I dont go in first thing in the morning...lol..BRIGHT!!!! what a read about is useally caused by looking at an eclipse..( So I read) could ya have Hay fever? ave ya seen the DR yet? I highly dout your 400 caused this...take care and be safe

I have to agree with 4u2.

When I was growing inside I would spend upto a couple of hours (mostly 1 hour or so) with a HPS 600 and it had no effect on my eyes at all.

But that said, we are all different in our biological makeup and it may effect you where it effects few others.

:peace:

sexytricks said:
do not send drugs to my kidz home u 5ft bald loner:hubba: got ur address dont forget

Keep this crap off the walkway.

What you have is common among welders, try wearing sunglasses when you first start your gardening and eventually youll get use to the light. If it feels like sandpaper when you blink you should go straight to the doctor! Your gonna need that cream they give you to heal your eye's.

I'm a welder by trade, and have had burnt eyes many times, if this is what you are feeling, the sand in the eye effect, then take a fresh potatoe, and get the juice out, I usually put one in a food processor, and mash it up into a pulp, put this juice in your eyes, works great, and a lot cheaper than a dr visit. I, however, have not gotten eye burned from my hps, or mh.

thanks guys. I'm sure I sound like a paranoid hypochondriac, but it freaked me out a bit (Making a living as an artist - kinda need the eyeballs!)

I agree HIE,

As for the eyes thing, it sounds like what you get from welding without the propper eye cover on. See a doc is my advice.

popart; light can bother me sometimes too, never experienced that though.
i like to wear a hat, or atleast hold my hand on my forhead.
it's only the direct light from the light iteself that bothers me, and these shade that out. if it's light in general, then some sort of glasses may be best for you.

u mentioned swelling but no pain...did u drink alcohol recently? is it possible u r dehydrated? my eyes will swell if I need liquids badly..or maybe allergies? or did u change the washing detergent on your sheets or clothes I can only use all clear or that arm and hammer free and clear.

The only time i have gotten that is from tig welding and it sucked. basically sun burn on my eye balls. i dont think you could get that from grow lights, even the light a gas welder puts out isnt bright enough to do it to me.

I've had Corneal Burn. In my personal experience you would not have been physically able to be surfing the net. The burn is so severe when it hits that you can't even keep your eyes open. I had to go to the emergency room and they covered both eyes for three days except when the patches were removed to put in drops.

I doubt theres any chance a 400W hurt your eyes. Even being in a growroom with 10,000W for a couple hours every day without sunglasses, its bright, but never hurt my eyes.

it wasnt the light you probably slept with your pillow stabed into your eye the pressure caused it to swell had this crap happen to my left eye didnt look the same till i used one of those female products to remove eye bags dont know what its called but shiz did its job

Hey there popart,

You got me wondering about your eyes. Please allow me to express the importance of taking good care and precautions when it comes to your sight. The good fellas here are advising well. It would seem rather doubtful that the HPS would cause this, but then no-one is foolish enough to rule it out.
Should this happen again, or not clear up wquick then it's off to the opthamologist with you. Do you have feather pillows by any chance ? I had a terrible thing happen to my eyes over a stupid feather pillow, turns out I developed a sensitivity to them, so was just sorta wondering ya know ?

Good luck friend, and please do take care of your eyes.

smoke in peace
KingKahuuna:cool:

The king has a point. It might be a allergy thing. If you can't see when you walk outside on sunny days without the aid of dark sunglasses, you may have a retenal sensitivity thing. I can't get my eye's adjusted to bright sunshine sometimes and have to wear shades most of the time. But in exchange i can almost see clear in pitch black. If this sounds a little like you go to the doc, heck go there anyway. He can give you a refferal to an eye doc or a allergy type person whatever they are called. Cold compresses on your eye's, take two bongs before bedtime and don't call anyone in the morning! Get to feeling better, the doc's is out...Peace!(good moby d)

Latest posts

Back