i need to beat the heat!!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maryjane22

Reaction score
my plant is about 3 weeks old..it looks nice and healthy good green color but the big bottom leaves are dry and yellow and my temps are very high..it never gets less than 90 degrees in the closet..im only doing an experiment and have only 1 plant growing but the closet is like 7 ft long by 2 ft wide with two big sliding doors..the light is 18 inches away and i have one fan blowing on the plant and another blowing out the closet so the heat gets out and the most it ever dropped to was 88 degrees..im in disbelief one of my closet doors is halfway open and thats more than enough vent. i think..please help!! i heard that freezing a water bottle and putting it in front of a fan could work

if you have an attic above the closet your growing in.
Go to home depot and buy a bathroom fan. (the one that goes in the celing).
they sell a great one for 12.00 dollers, you have to cut a square in the ceiling of your closet. this $ucks all the heat out and into the attic.
I did this, worked great. cutting the square out was easy...its just drywall.

p.s if you install the fan, dont leave your door all the way open, leave a crack open, it gets better Sucktion* through the closet.

This is not the solution but more a band-aid till you can solve the high temp issue but....

I grow in a small cabinet (3'X3'X6') and had a similar issue. I ended up putting some frozen water in gallon milk jugs from my chest freezer in the cabinet and was able to drop the temps down 2-3 degrees. Its not much but 87 beats 90 any day.

hope it helps.

the problem with these swamp cooler type methods as bandaids is that by adding frozen water, and 90+ temps, you get condensation, which will produce humidity and in itself, make the air actually feel hotter to the plants. It can also create mold issues if there is not enough ventilation which is what is needed anyway.

I am currently having this problem myself, and I have looked into portable AC units, and by far, not worth it, because you'd have to exhaust the ac unit itself or else you'd have hot air exhausting back into your grow room. And this is not to mention the energy costs. :(

Another way around this problem is to add CO2...it enables the plants to be able to adapt to the high heat...it can be done inexpensively, using water, sugar and bakers yeast. It is a bit of work, but it would help some...

Peace...j.b.

Latest posts

Back