IOLE`s journal, first timer, need all the help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now the plants have 3 sets of leaves. I have noticed that on the main stem, where it meets the leaf stem there are little hairs, green in color, there is 1 on each side of the leaf stem, do these have anything to do with sex??

Nope, That is where a branch (or shoot) is going to form. Pre-flowers don't show up until after 6 weeks of veg. (sometimes) or after you commence flowering.

You can sex a plant most times between 4 and 6 weeks if you use an eye loupe.In the last few years i haven't hardly seen a plant that i can't sex in or around that time span.You need optcal help to sex early to be able to see well enough.

Slowhand said:
You can sex a plant most times between 4 and 6 weeks if you use an eye loupe.In the last few years i haven't hardly seen a plant that i can't sex in or around that time span.You need optcal help to sex early to be able to see well enough.

Any pics to illustrate that Slowhand?

In my experience, the only way to be 100% sure is to put the plants into 12/12.

Most times "pre=flowers" will indicate the sex, BUT even an experienced eye can mis-diagnose prefowers.
These pics show definitive signs of gender.

Here is another update, I started giving them nitrogen-rich ferts. I have also planted 5 seeds of ICE, you guys know anything about it?

Day 28.jpg

Looking good iole. Check out the marijuana strain guide in the marijuana strains section. Its at the top of the page. I think Ice is in there.

Didnt see ice in there, maybe I didnt look well enough. One of the ice plants has a little problem, the two leaves are half dried up, what the hell???
Can you tell sex by leaf shape? some are pointier than others and the are from the same pot.
thanks

iole said:
Didnt see ice in there, maybe I didnt look well enough. One of the ice plants has a little problem, the two leaves are half dried up, what the hell???
Can you tell sex by leaf shape? some are pointier than others and the are from the same pot.
thanks
Whats up Iole. Your babaies are getting big. What leaves are drying up on your plant. No you cant tell sex by the shape of your leaves. Sometimes you can have two of the same seeds and the plants be different.

iole males tend to grow faster and bushier with massive leaves imho and caio dude welcome to the site.

any probs drop me a pm and ill do my best to offer advice.....

ps ice is nice few buddies have grown it and full of crystal/thc amongst the frostiest looking plant ive ever seen along with white rhino.

pkj

New developments. Fifth and sixth pair of leaves coming out and I noticed something, the bentral part of the leaf near the stem is gelden brown in color, resin color, what the heck? And I can start smelling the herb...isn`t it too early for that? thanks

mmm.....yes those babies can smell at this age...gently rub the leaf or stalk...and sniff your fingers ;)

I have no idea what you are using.. a little specificity about your nutes, strength etc would be helpful.

However, the plants look a little droopy in the pics above and coupled with some of the browning you describe may indicate overnuting. This will first manifest in the older leaves.

BTW, the most vigorous plants I have ever had turned out to be female. Put that in yr pipe and smoke it (btw can someone pm me where those cool smilies are?)

I'm afraid I got a male. The plant is only about 1 foot tall, isnt it a bit early for flowering?? I see little green balls on each side of the branches. What should I do?

iole said:
Here they are now..
Whats up Iole. You are growing outside right? How old are your plants? Is there any way you can get a close up pic of what you are talking about?

iole said:
I'm afraid I got a male. The plant is only about 1 foot tall, isnt it a bit early for flowering?? I see little green balls on each side of the branches. What should I do?

Don't rush to eliminate it untill you are certain of it's sexuality. It will be obvious before any pollen is released. "Size" has little to do with the onset of "pre-flowers", maturity is the main factor. If I count your time correctly, they should be in excess of 6 weeks old, plenty old enuff to be exhibiting preflowers.

erm... flowering depends on light cycle.

It sounds like you were doing a lot of outside light. You should be at 12/12 or therabouts to see flowering. Not sure where you are to have that happening outdoors.

So... if your natural or artificial light is at this on/off cycle you will see flowers usually around 11-14 days after the 'change'.

100% sure that its a male, I'll just wait a bit then cut him and stick him in a bottle of grappa. The other two big plants dont have any preflowers yet but I have noticed a difference. The male doesnt smell much at all while the other two have this awsome scent, could it mean female??

I have cut down the male, it was a hard thing to do but I had no choice. One of the other plants though shows female pre-flowers!!!

Latest posts

Back