Leaf Discoloration- Anyone who can diagnose?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dubblehue

Reaction score
Check out the discolorations on the leaves....I have no idea what it could be, I'm not that smart at plant sicknesses. Anyone have any ideas? What could it be? And how could I treat it?

More of this plant can be seen here:
http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33642

IMG_0033.JPG

IMG_0035.JPG

andy52 said:
need more info,what medium are you using,lights,temps,etc?to me it looks like a ph problem

Hey Andy,
I'm growing in a 3 gallon pot with Gardener's Gold Organic soil, with half a bag of worm castings mixed in. Temps vary day/night between 65-72. I'm using a single 250 watt HPS that's about 12" over the highest bud. I've been hitting her with some serious nutes every three days, some 10-54-10 stuff, should I ease up on that for a week or so and feed her just plain water? Does it look to you like the pH is too high or low? I can buy that pH up/down stuff..
many thanks in advance

Is that pic of the top cola? Can you include a pic of the entire plant.

Looks like a lot of issues, pH is the first. There is also tips curling under which will indicate over ferting. The crispy sharp edges also indicate overheating.

I'd flush it; make sure the pH is right, foliar feed with Magnesium, and cut back on the ferts until it shows signs of improving then slowly up the doses.

dubblehue said:
I've been hitting her with some serious nutes every three days, some 10-54-10 stuff, should I ease up on that for a week or so and feed her just plain water? Does it look to you like the pH is too high or low? I can buy that pH up/down stuff..
many thanks in advance

seriuos nutes every 3 days! gadzooks! yeah id do a mild flush then water only for couple wks. then @ MOST wkly ferts. good luck:D

hahaha ok you guys got it.
Joe that is not the "top" cola, as the plant has been LST'd since vegg. It's one of the bottom branches that come out of the trunk of this tree.

What is "foliar feeding?"

Flush will commence tomorrow, and then re-introduce a lighter fare of nutes to her gradually.
Thanks

foliar feeding is where you spray the leaves with whatever you need to use :peace:

UKgirl420 said:
foliar feeding is where you spray the leaves with whatever you need to use :peace:
can you feed this way using any kind of nutes? and what are the advantages and disadvantages of foliar feeding?

bluealein56 said:
can you feed this way using any kind of nutes? and what are the advantages and disadvantages of foliar feeding?

The only time IMO you need to foiliar feed is when trying to correct a nute deficiency, foliar feeding gets absorbed fast thru the leaves, very easy to burn foiliar feeding.

Example would be mg deficency and using epson salts in a spray bottle.

Growdude said:
The only time IMO you need to foiliar feed is when trying to correct a nute deficiency, foliar feeding gets absorbed fast thru the leaves, very easy to burn foiliar feeding.

Example would be mg deficency and using epson salts in a spray bottle.
...AND sooooo often, "more is less".. IMO.., more times than not, there isn't a "defficiency" in the medium anyway. But the available nutrients are not being utilized due to ph lock.
every three days, some 10-54-10
I "doubt" a soil defficiency is the problem here..;)

Folair feeding is good when you are in veg state, not so good for flowing I've heard cause it promotes molding on the buds. Do it when vegging. There is a FOLAIR feed they call Starter Fluid you make that is good for sick plants as well as cuttings and starts. A friend of mine swears by it. You make it: 1/2 cap of "FOX FARMS" Grow Big.......6 drops of "SUPERTHRIVE" ....mix these two together with 1 gallon of good "PH" water and put in a sprayer with a fine mist nozzle and your off. Another good Folair feed is a Tea of : worm castings, fish emulsion , and bat guano. Hope this helps and good luck, im shure thell be fine, lots of good help here on this site. PEACE

blancolighter said:
Whoa, did I miss reading that no one knows the PH here? I'm suprised it really hasn't come up more, you gotta always know the ph of whatever you are giving your plants.

Well 3 people told him PH so I thought that would be enough but ALWAYS check your PH anytime you have problems. You cant correct a nute problem without knowing the PH.

Good call blancolighter.

So I bought a pH meter and tested...I'm at about 6.5 so I backed off the light and took a closer look, only to discover...Spider Mites! Just a few of them though, maybe 15 total that I could find during a very thorough investigation. Many eggs though. After reading up on Spider Mite killer I decided on a bottle of Green Thumb flower & vegetable insect spray. It's .02% Pyrethrin and .20% Piperonyl Butoxide. I sprayed up good. Will check tomorrow AM before they go to sleep and see how the killin is going and update then.

Don't spray while that HPS is on, it will burn the hell out of your plant.

godspeedsuckah said:
Don't spray while that HPS is on, it will burn the hell out of your plant.

^ yep......steamed shrimp sanario. cooking em. good luck man. PEACE

I spray all the time with my hps on, just make sure you dont hit the bulbs and that your circ fan is on high when your done.

mendo local said:
I spray all the time with my hps on, just make sure you dont hit the bulbs and that your circ fan is on high when your done.

yeah I pull the plant out into the bath tub and spray it up then stick it back under the light.
I can wash all the mites and run off from the spraying right down the drain.

It works out. About to do it in 10 minutes, using antibacterial soap spray this time..mix it up on these little jerks.

Ok,well you are massively overfeeding them mate so no feed for at least a week and then feed at about 1/4 strength and monitor their progress.

As for the mites,well,spraying with pyrethrins on flowering plants is not best practice as it can impart a really shitty taste and depending on the sprays strength may actually kill your pistils and once that happens the calyx stops producing resin so its counter productive.

Pyrethins are used on vegetables that are washed before consumption and as you can't wash your bud,well,you get the picture?

About the only spray on the market which is benign enough to use in flowering is something called SB Plant Invigorator.Its a plant tonic and foliar feed that greatly suppresses( but not eradicates)the borg and is organic as well.

You can do a chemical fogging by using(I know,I know it sounds awful!)Bob Martins Flea foggers which you get from pet shops.

Just place a canister high up in your grow,hit the button and get out and let the fogger fill the grow and kill the bugs.Very handy when you have many plants as its such a hassle to spray loads of them.
The stuff breaks down in sunlight and is used in domestic premises without ventilation so isnt a bio hazard if used properly,done weekly.

If you are gonna spray,never do it under the lights as water droplets can act as prisms and burn the plants really quite badly so after spraying always leave for at least an hour to dry before placing back under lights.

Latest posts

Back