light leaks in 6 hours darkness period ( currently 18/6 vegatative growth )

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charlesweedmore

Reaction score
hi folks,
i just switched PL-L lamps to 600W dual spectrum hps and 24 hours to 18 hours.

i run the hps 18 hours and 6 hours darkness.

i have homebox grow tent.but i noticed that there is very much light leaks from passive air intake /air flaps of homebox to inside of homebox for 6 hours darkness period.

is it a problem ?
i read that light leaks in flowering cycle can caused to hermie issues.

is it true for growth period as well ? if so i will run 24 hours my hps lamp.

thanks

My understanding is as long as it's getting at least 18 hrs light it will Vegg. So if in the Dark period ,after 18hrs of light,, its still getting some sort of light,,wouldnt that just kinda still be like 24/0 light,,just the last 6 hrs has alot less lumens,,right?!:confused:

Now,,that deffinatly will not work for Flowering. You cannot have light leaks while flowering or it will screw it up. So I would say it's probably alright for vegging,,but not gonna be alright when you start flowering,,,if ya use the same growbox that is.

i dont run 18/6 for veg, 24/0

light leaks in veg shouldnt affect your grow

when you flower tho, you need it to be near perfect darkness or you will most likely have issues.

i run my Bloom homebox in a bedroom by itself, the room is completely light proof with 2 layers of panda film on the windows, and black blankets used as light curtains to isolate the homebox from light that can get in from the door.

My tent sits in perfect darkness, i measured the darkness with a meter and its perfectly dark.

last grow not so much and i had a few hermies.

why does an indoor crop require complete darkness when an outside crop rarely has complete darkness?

would the light leak be = to illumination from the moon and stars?

a noob ? that i cant find the answer to.

use velcro to seal the vent tight, maybe do an overlaping flap.

SSH

A light leak in veg isnt something to worry about as long as it's sorted before you go into flower,whereas in flower it can have grown men crying.

Growing indoors is an approximation of nature and miles away at that,so the same rules don't seem to apply as outdoors and yes it's a fair question,moonlight can be really bright so the plant must sense it but I think the consensus is,is that moonlight does have an effect although limited,a full moon in late flowering might slightly lengthen the time to full maturity and so planting info in old almanacs took this into account.

The lumen output of the moon doesnt meet the lumen or spectrum requirements to trigger photosynthesis.

hope that helps.

Whereas indoors, Light, of any kind will typically meet this requirement, as none of us can see indoors with a lumen output equal to moonlight.

Latest posts

Back