Lights Help! Please

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tess

Reaction score
Hi just a quick query...brought a lamp hanger and my 400 w hps light buld and it's not working The hangers working as my other half electricuted himself by sticking his fingers in it lol....but not sure why it's not working brought the bulb brand new today?? Is it possible i need an ignitor (as in the shop in the catalouge it said the bulb comes without ignitor but not sure what it is, If i need it or how to do it.....Hope someone can shed some light Thanks:eek:

Is there anyway of going about it without the ballast or is that my only option? Thanks

it is what powers your HPS or MH bulb if you do not have the ballast then what would the hangar plug into..... its a special end that only plugs into the ballast and the ballast plugs into the wall. The ballast is the most expensive piece and most important of your grow!!!

ok thanks but the hanger just has a plug for a normal house hold plug socket and the other end is for the bulb which i brought in the local grow shop its a ceramic one with about a meter of cable . thanks

you need to know the style of light that you are running i am just guessing on your setup

with the plug OUT!!!!!
try taking a small flathead screw driver and pry the tab at the end of the socket out.

it looks like a small coin way down in there. thats if u have a ballast etc.
what exactly is the lamp you are using?

never mind you need to get a 400w H.P.S. ballast. stoned and kinda forgot what you posted

Ya i ran into the same confusion with the "ballast" and HPS bulbs so I'm just using florescent now haha but i only have one plant :) haha

hi peter are you using the light hanger? and what wattage bulb? how is your plant doing? At least im not the only one thats had the same prob....some things are too technical lol

I'm realising now that i have obviously made a huge error with my choice of lighting so i am on the look out for some cheap flourescent lighting ( I Know cheap isn'nt always the best option but at least its a start Lol.....

tess said:
I'm realising now that i have obviously made a huge error with my choice of lighting so i am on the look out for some cheap flourescent lighting ( I Know cheap isn'nt always the best option but at least its a start Lol.....

You didnt make a mistake, just get the ballast .
HPS light is the best light to use.

if you are flowering then i would not recommend using "cheap floros" .the floro bulbs needed to flower efficiently cost quite a bit......on the other hand, cheap floros rock for vegging......lower energy cost and way less heat....just make sure you have enough.

Hick said:
it requires the same amount of energy consumption, to burn 400 watts of cfls as it does 400 watts of hid.
i stand corrected....

sure didn't know that,thanks hick.hate to bump this thread,but i will,what type and about how much would a 2 ft. fluro, cost and how much lumen and wattage could i get in something like this? i want to get something for my girl,she likes to play with flowers.i got her a small tent.shes got 1 of those so called 2 ft grow lights from wally world.sorry to interfere with this thread.

andy52 said:
sure didn't know that,thanks hick.hate to bump this thread,but i will,what type and about how much would a 2 ft. fluro, cost and how much lumen and wattage could i get in something like this? i want to get something for my girl,she likes to play with flowers.i got her a small tent.shes got 1 of those so called 2 ft grow lights from wally world.sorry to interfere with this thread.
most all bulbs labled "grow" completely suck....go with the cool white/warm white combo(2 different bulbs)you'll need at least 4 bulbs total IMO to do anything worth doing..T12's are the cheapest bulbs around and most of them are 40w a peice.i use 12(4ft) of them to vegg.

I have seen that plug for the bulb you are talking about.

I think it is for those big CFL lights. The ones that have the ballast built in and are really long. I think they are about 100-200 watts. I wish they sold those at the stores because I have only seen it online.

Latest posts

Back