LST and the Big Fan Leaves

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

omnigr33n

I'm a damn monkey.
Reaction score
I have started to LST for the first time and I have to say that it really makes the tending of my plants a lot more enjoyable.

I have one question. What do I do with the big fan leaves that block light to the new growing colas? If I leave them will it affect the growth of the new colas? I am thinking I should just leave them where they are.

Those fan leaves are solar collectors, that provide for the process that supplies energy to your plant.."photosynthesis"
IMO.. don't remove them. Don't tuck them away from the light. They are what utilizes the light more than any other plant part

Hick said:
Those fan leaves are solar collectors, that provide for the process that supplies energy to your plant.."photosynthesis"
IMO.. don't remove them. Don't tuck them away from the light. They are what utilizes the light more than any other plant part

Thats what I initially guessed, but needed a second opinion. Didn't seem right to hide away such huge photosynthesis factories. Thanks Hick, you da man dude.

I read somewhere the other day not to cut the fan leaves cause "Mother nature put them there and Mother nature doesnt make mistakes." This is true im sure BUT considering that when we do things like LST plants and were kinda 'messing with nature' then do those same rules apply? Im just curious cause I to have a plant that im doing LST on and I thought about this the other day because I have some fan leaves also blocking the underneath growth. Normally I leave them alone and let "mother nature" take its coarse but I questioned removing them this time since I am kinda 'tweaking' my plants 'natural' way of growing. Just wondering.

I don't see why you cant try and move them out of the way. AS long as they are still receiving light.

omnigr33n said:
Thats what I initially guessed, but needed a second opinion.

Looks like you have gotton four opinions...Leave them Be..The plant will adjust itself to the light...with us doing LST its going to happen..just wait a day os so..it will grow past the leaf...the thing I watch 4 is that they dont lay on top of soil..seems to cause problems..JMO..Hope this helps

take care and be safe

Hhmm...Here's another opinion to consider; I've been known to remove a fan leaf or 2 (or 3), IF they are in a bunch and concealing the majority of the light to lower leaves branching to bud-sites. - I only do it sparingly.

megan23 makes a very good point about the "tweaking" of the plants during LST; the removing of a few fan leaves is just another example, IMO. - Anything to encourage better growth all around. ;)

Hick is correct man. Fan leaves are the "solar" panels that provide the needed energy to promote health bud growth.

If you feel that the leaves are blocking the lower part of the plant, then cut off the lower branches that are getting no light. It is FAR better to trim up the lower part on the plant then to pull leaves trying to get light to lower branches that will produce inferior buds.

Trust us, you will be happier! :)

What ive been doing is just moving the fan leaves to expose the newer grow lights, i kinda tuck them to the side, that way they still recieve light, seems to be working so far, check this pic out, look at the budsites

ok.. whats gonna happen is..... the parts of the plant that dont get light are gonna turn brownish and die off... what i do personaly is about every 2 or 3 weeks i cut off most of the big fan leaves.. this lets light get to new growth and in about a week there are new big fan leaves so the plant isnt hurt at all.. then when i take clones i cut off all big fan leaves, take my clones and cut off lower leaves that i know im just gonna cut off later anyway.. i thin tha plant out prolly 3 or 4 times between taking clones..

Bleek187 said:
ok.. whats gonna happen is..... the parts of the plant that dont get light are gonna turn brownish and die off... what i do personaly is about every 2 or 3 weeks i cut off most of the big fan leaves.. this lets light get to new growth and in about a week there are new big fan leaves so the plant isnt hurt at all.. then when i take clones i cut off all big fan leaves, take my clones and cut off lower leaves that i know im just gonna cut off later anyway.. i thin tha plant out prolly 3 or 4 times between taking clones..

Not that im speaking from my vast experience or anything, but im pretty sure that removing bigger fan leaves is not a good thing, i have no problems exposing my future budsites with proper training and manipulation,and have not found a need to cut off any leaves unless they are dead, or very close to dead and dried up. Im pretty sure that cutting off these "energy factories" is most certainly going to stunt growth at a noticeable level, again, not that i have experience or anything, im a newb and learning, but i try to stick to what the seasoned gentlemen & ladies have told me on this site.

Bleek187 said:

This is not sound advice.

Do NOT cut your big fan leaves off. Period. As I said, if you are worried about the undergrowth not getting light, cut out the undergrowth.

Why does this keep coming. How is killing your plants food source a good idea? Of course when you cut the fan leaves you see the plant respond with vigerous growth, its trying to replace all the leaves you took from it. If you cut the roots then the leaves wouldn't grow until the roots caught up to the foilage. If you cut the foilage the roots won't grow until the foilage catch's up to the roots. Bigger roots = bigger harvest. Cutting fan leaves off is moronic.

DITO Last posts ..what are you thinking Bleek187 my friend.

hmmm.. i guess it depends on what your doing with the plant..

so let me clarify...

If we are talking about a plant in flower... then no.. dont cut off the fan leaves... i usualy lollypop my plants which is pretty much cutting off most of the undergrowth... they will end up with one big cola and 4 or 6 big branches with nice size buds...

If we are talking about a Mother or a plant that you are keeping in Veg while doing LST... then i say cut away... you cut off the fan leaves and guess what... more grow back...

heres my mom thats under LST

Fist pic is just after i took clones from her...
i took 25 cuttings and trimmed off all the big fan leaves..
i also cut off a lot of small fan leaves on new growth...

the second pic is exactly 2 weeks later...

NEW BLAH BLAH.JPG

PB.jpg

I do a screen of green set up were I trim the bottom part of the plant, leaf canopy in the middle and buds minus the fan leafs on top. This work very well if you have a small light like a 250w were the light gives less penetration.

If you have a larger light like a 400 or biger were you have more penetration you can keep the uper fan leaves.

Bleek187 said:
hmmm.. i guess it depends on what your doing with the plant..

If we are talking about a Mother or a plant that you are keeping in Veg while doing LST... then i say cut away... you cut off the fan leaves and guess what... more grow back...

Well, you got 'that' right.. "you cut off the fan leaves and guess what... more grow back."
but do you "think" that forcing the plant to RE-produce the fan leaves is a good thing? Forcing it to RE grow leaves, rather than expend that energy into new productive growth doesn't make much sense.
The "canopy" feeds the entire plant. When you remove leaves from the canopy, you eliminate the plants ability to photosynthesize. Photosynthesis is THE process that allows your plant to convert light into usefull energy. Removing them goes against all botanical/biological facts.

what are some general pointers for LST... Im somewhat new
look in the indoor section for the "sticky" on 'low stress training'..;)

Latest posts

Back