magnesium deficiency

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buddog

Reaction score
when using Epsom salt to correct a mag. deficiency is best to foliar feed or mix it in the res.

im,,not much help im afraid ,,i only grow in soil ,,and used it both ways :D

Hey bud. I am considering adding some Epsom as well and was thinking the same thing. I always believe you should "feed the soil, not the plant" but I guess it might depend on how much of the plant seems to be suffering a deficiency.

I don't think it would hurt to do both. But if I had to choose I would go for mix in res. Make sure you mix Epsom with warm/hot water first before adding to res. Otherwise it won't dissolve properly. If it doesnt right the wrong, you can always try foliar then.

I use in the rez as a preventive and as a spray if the plants are showing a deficiency. I also powderize it before using.

If instant results are required; in cases of extreme deficiency foliar feed.

I add Mg to the res upon refill as a matter of course; probably not necessary but not excessive doses so doesn't hurt. Cheap as chips really so if it's wasted meh.

so monkeybusiness are u saying that the epsom salt will make the ph go up some.

buddog said:
so monkeybusiness are u saying that the epsom salt will make the ph go up some.
naw, i mean that plants make use of different nutrients at different ph levels, which is one reason it's good to let your ph float here and there. If you are having serious magnesium problems you need to keep you ph at 5.9 or 6 so the plant can make the most use of the supplement.
Check out the chart at the link i posted before and you can see at what ph level the plants can utilize various nutes. fascinating stuff..

chart is here

hope this helps!

Latest posts

Back