Making Honey Oil

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I looked up "how to make honey oil" on google, and saw all the different ways including isopropyl alcahol, butane, high-proof rum, hexane ect....

Im posting this asking which "solvent" would be safest to use and still get the BEST honey oil?... I tried it out once with ronsonol butane, and i dont like it because it smells like butane still in the end even after its all evaporated :**:

But people have told me that ronsonol brand has impurities, and other brands of butane such as Colibri are good.

What do i use?

personally i like the isopropyl method. only use 99% tho cuz the lower percentage stuff takes forever to dry and stays kinda wet not sticky if that makes sense. i have tried the butane as well and with the right extractor you will do ok but be safe with it. with alcohol i just fill a jar with enough shake/trim to fill it but not pack it tight. pour in the alcohol, put on the lid and shake hard for 45 seconds to a minute. i then remove the lid and place a coffee filter over the opening and secure it with a rubber band. turn upside down over my plate or bowl and let drain. throw away the filter and wet shake and then let the alcohol evaporate off the plate with the help of a fan and scrape up the goodies that are left. just my opinion. happy smoking.

I did the ISO shake in a jar/filter/evaporate thing and was excited about the results at first, it looked like dank brown/black hash. Then I held a lighter to it and it started putting off a black smoke so I tossed it.
If you are going to make oil, use quality butane, outdoors, and be super cafeful. After proper evaporation, which can take weeks/months, you will have a superior oil to ISO imo. I have some thats been in my fridge for a year at least, it looks like a sponge from all the butane that evaporated out over time. It's not a quick process, but the stuff is insanely stoney :guitar:

Dr. Manny Bowles said:
I did the ISO shake in a jar/filter/evaporate thing and was excited about the results at first, it looked like dank brown/black hash. Then I held a lighter to it and it started putting off a black smoke so I tossed it.
If you are going to make oil, use quality butane, outdoors, and be super cafeful. After proper evaporation, which can take weeks/months, you will have a superior oil to ISO imo. I have some thats been in my fridge for a year at least, it looks like a sponge from all the butane that evaporated out over time. It's not a quick process, but the stuff is insanely stoney :guitar:

I ended up with a black tar from my alcohol method (used 95% everclear) and it was not good smoke on its own, could only take a hit or two before i wanted to choke out from the taste. I ended up just topping off bowls with it and it was a very nice compliment for a nice fatty.

I've never made butane oil...how would you all compare it to a good bubble hash?

legalize_freedom said:
I've never made butane oil...how would you all compare it to a good bubble hash?
Hey LF, I hope all is good. The butane oil I made is what I would describe as full-melt. If you top a bowl, as soon as heat hits it, it disappears into the bud. Very smooth taste and probably the stoniest thing I've ever smoked in 20 years. I got about a gram out of 2+ oz's of good trim. I don't make it anymore since I got my bubble bags, but I would say the oil was stronger than my best bubble hash. The oil is just dangerous to make and the yield isn't as good so I stick with bubble.

Zipflip- The ISO I made was with 99% rubbing alcohol. I agitated it for around 45 seconds or so and let it evaporate on its own in a pyrex pan for around 5 days. The result was a nice golden-black tar that looked great but definitely had some sort of residue in it. It did put off black smoke and wasn't anything I was interested in smoking.

the yield on oil, if done properly is in the ballpark of 85 to 95% gain.

If done imporperly, you loose as much as you would making bubble, where your at round 70% on the best runs.

Butane is second most efficient method to cold co2 extractions.

....I usually get about 5 to 6 garms from an oz of trim. regularly.

mmm, that does look like good stuff Zip. Mine looked very similar, I was excited about the consistency of it. Maybe agitating too long was where I went wrong. Thanks for the suggestions, I know some ISOer's here will benefit from it.
Lately I've been turning all my trim into bubble, and then turning the bubble into butter in my crock pot. Holy smokes batman :batman:

I'm kind of surprised at how few people use hash/honey oil to cook with. I put it in all kinds of stuff and it will take you to the clouds. Easy to make, easy to store and easy to use. Does anyone else here use it this way? It gets you past the taste problem of regular cannabutter. I just add the oil to butter until it melts into it. It takes seconds and you're ready to use it in a recipe.

Yeah, I think I shook it in the jar too long maybe? And I didn't smoke any, after the lighter test it went in the trash.

I use iso, ethanol, butane, and hexane for extractions, depending on what med the patient asks for. I also do bubble and dry sieve.

I use them to make aspirated, oral, and topical meds, all of which have different requirements.

All have been tested by volunteer patient test panels against mixed tolerance and medical conditions.

What exactly do you want to end up with?

GW

Hi GW,

If you ever need another on your panel give me a shout; purely for the science of course.

Latest posts

Back