Marijuana: A Human Right?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clandestino

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I am new to this forum, I used to be a member of a similar forum several years ago and really enjoyed the chat. I like the "Coffee Table" idea for a place where we can discuss anything. So I have a question for the community to ponder and I am very interested in hearing your ideas.

I study and write about international human and civil rights. Many texts that outline these rights do not mention the right to consume substances whether they be marijuana, tobacco, alcohol or what have you, however they do outline such rights as the right to life, the right to the pursuit of happiness and the right to security of person among others. Now inferences can be made from these three rights I have mentioned. For example, if someone has the right to the pursuit of happiness, as laid out by the US Declaration of Independence, then that can mean people have the right to pursue things that make them happy, such as, exercise or good food or alcohol or sex. Now these are just examples, but if someone has the right to pursue these things which make them happy, are they allowed to pursue a partner of the same sex if that makes them happy? What about smoking marijuana? These are things to consider if people are truly allowed to pursue happiness.

Next lets consider the right to life. If people have the right to life, does that also mean that we have the right to sustain life? If so then that means people have the basic right to health care even if they can't afford it. And with health care comes medicine. So if marijuana helps someone to maintain or sustain their lives in the fashion they choose, is it then a human right?

I can go on and on but I will leave you with one last note before I leave it to you. The first article of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights states "All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood." While considering this ask yourself, if human's inherently seek to alter their state of mind, be it with drugs or music, in order to interact with others, what substance facilitates a spirit of brotherhood the most?

I would really enjoy to read what this community thinks about marijuana as a human right. I hope this finds you all safe and well.

I have a different take on "Pursuit of Happiness". I always took it more of being able to get an education, able to own land, to pick your own work.
Ability to "Pursue" your goals freely.

Think some try to take meanings to loosely. If I enjoy kicking puppies, I cant just pursue my happiness by wondering around looking for puppies to kick.
If I like to talk. I cant yell fire in crowded areas no matter how funny the outcome might be.

I really dont consider marijuana as a human right in any way. I see it more as a privilege. Like driving.
And privileges can be taken by such things as abuse of.
Nobody says you have to drive to live, can ride a horse, bicycle, or anything else. You caught drunk driving, endangering others health, that privilege is gone. With marijuana, it would be a privilege no matter what the medical factors are. Cause it effects those around you. You go around lighting up around others that dont smoke, dont want anything to do with it. Your effecting them negatively.

I see your view on the pursuit of happiness being getting an education, owning land and choosing the way to earn a living.

However kicking puppies and yelling fire in a crowded area are things that can be considered to endanger the public welfare and are cruel. Just as you mentioned drunk driving endangers others so does yelling fire in a crowded area. These things actions would of course not be considered rights and violate among other things the premise of acting with a spirit of brotherhood.

Good points though. Thanks for your input.

SPEARCHUCKER said:
I really dont consider marijuana as a human right in any way. I see it more as a privilege...With marijuana, it would be a privilege no matter what the medical factors are. Cause it effects those around you. You go around lighting up around others that dont smoke, dont want anything to do with it. Your effecting them negatively.

imo you are too narrowminded about Medicinal Cannabis, it can be consumed w/o infringing on those who oppose pot in any way. im sure you have heard about edibles or vaporization.

it is crule to tell someone who is in need of Cannabis, b/c pharmaceuticals do not work, that sorry about your condition worsening but there are a few more pills we would like you to start taking and maybee they might bring you relief.

SC, break your neck and suffer from severe spasticity, take every pharmaceutical option under the sun, go through a double blind FDA approved drug study (zanaflex didnt work) and then respond to your statement "no matter what the medical factors are". no, i dont wish you to break your neck. i hope no one on this forum does but if so then maybe they will be luckier than I and pharmaceutical will work.

it is definitly a human rights issue to have safe access to Medical Cannabis.

However kicking puppies and yelling fire in a crowded area are things that can be considered to endanger the public welfare and are cruel. Just as you mentioned drunk driving endangers others so does yelling fire in a crowded area. These things actions would of course not be considered rights and violate among other things the premise of acting with a spirit of brotherhood.

I see marijuana the same way. Shouldnt drive when stoned. Shouldnt toke around nonsmokers, kids.
It would be listed as a privilege to me. You dont know if the guy next to you when you want to light up has asthma or not. Dont know if its against his religious faith to not like with the Mormons and Muslims.

SSH. Its something that CAN and WOULD be abused by 98% of its users. Small fraction might be in need. But not everyone is going to get a vaporizer. Or buy it in pill form or whatever else. They want to light it up and burn.
So again. It would be a "Privilege" based right. Not a "Human Right".
Which means if you are to abuse. It can be taken from you. If not abusing, wont be taken.
If a person is in need, dont abuse. Simple as that.

It might mean life or death to a person if they dont have an oxygen machine running. They have the right or privilege to buy electricity. They dont pay their bill, they get no current to run it. Wheres the "human right" there? It was a need, but abused and wasnt taken care of. So it was taken. Cause it was a privilege allowed upon them.

My health, my life, my problem. Thats the way I wish things were. I want to do this or that, I should be able to as long as I do it responsibly and do not hurt others. If I get drunk and kill someone I should go to jail for KILLING someone not for being on alcohol/drugs. But behind closed doors, at my home I truly think I SHOULD be able to do as whatever I want that doesn't threaten the health or well being of others.Just the way I feel, we only have one life... Who are YOU to tell me what I can and can't do. Just how I feel....

Clandestino said:
Hello everyone,
Now these are just examples, but if someone has the right to pursue these things which make them happy, are they allowed to pursue a partner of the same sex if that makes them happy?
Yes.

What about smoking marijuana?
Absolutely~

If people have the right to life, does that also mean that we have the right to sustain life?
Yes, so long as we don't impose on the life of others.
I think it's up to everyone to act as a collective, to decide on the true meaning of impose (ex. May a civilization breed more children, at the expense of our planets ability to sustain children in the long run?).

So if marijuana helps someone to maintain or sustain their lives in the fashion they choose, is it then a human right?
Yes.

If human's inherently seek to alter their state of mind, be it with drugs or music, in order to interact with others, what substance facilitates a spirit of brotherhood the most?
music

I would really enjoy to read what this community thinks about marijuana as a human right. I hope this finds you all safe and well.
Welcome to the forum, and thanks for the interesting questions :)

The following is my opinion like it or leave it freedom of Speech (that is a right) Marijuana is a choice not a right. Your rights are spelled out in the Constatution, bill of rights, UCMJ (military rights) so on and so on. If you do not like your rights get out and change them.

Good Thread. I have an example kinda...not really Human rights, but constitutional Rights.

I have been consulting a Lawyer, as some of you know. the particular county I am in is fighting tooth and nail to keep any collectives/Dispensaries from opening in the area.
So, we are debating weather or not to file a complaint with the Courts that my City officials are denying me and others that would join my collective, the right to Free Assembly. So far, that looks like the best avenue to pursue.
I am just struggeling with "sticking my head out of the sand", and RISK my freedom to open the doors to other folks, in my State, and around the US.

Whats sad, is I would have no issue with it, but discussions here on this forum have led me to believe that even though we all smoke pot, we SURE are not on the Same page as far as what folks consider "medical", and "commercial".
It just sickens me that I might be fighting for freedoms to be enjoyed by folks who really don't care or want to keep it "Illegal".

it is crule to tell someone who is in need of Cannabis, b/c pharmaceuticals do not work, that sorry about your condition worsening but there are a few more pills we would like you to start taking and maybee they might bring you relief.

SSH- I am sorry for your pain and trouble and wish you well. But if you have definitive proof that the majority of people in your situation would be relieved through the use of MMJ, then by all means you should be allowed to use it. But is there enough documented proof that this works? You could say the same about crack or heroin. Should that be allowed also (I've never tried either) if it alleves someone's pain?

IMHO, since the dawn of time, there have always been a group of people who try to control the masses to suit their own agendas or views of right and wrong. It is the basis for society as we define it; either through laws or organized religon.

Through my reading of MJ history, sounds like it was outlawed by fear (at least in the US) by a small group who were fed enough propaganda that it had to be outlawed, or the black man would destroy our society. And since then it's been stigmatized and labelled as evil, and the masses buy into it. The real reason of controlling the black man has fallen to the side and again, people have been brainwashed.

To the original question though, as a right? I don't know. What are the limits? Who decides? Can you smoke pot but you can't do heroin? Why not, you're not hurting anyone by doing heroin. Where do you draw the line?

We need laws to prevent chaos. I think MJ should be legal, but that's my opinion. Once enough evidence is presented to society, there will be change. But change rarely occurs overnight.

NorCalHal said:
Whats sad, is I would have no issue with it, but discussions here on this forum have led me to believe that even though we all smoke pot, we SURE are not on the Same page as far as what folks consider "medical", and "commercial".
It just sickens me that I might be fighting for freedoms to be enjoyed by folks who really don't care or want to keep it "Illegal".

brother i hear you on that one. we always have to take the good with the bad as far as the knuckleheads who do not want to keep it legal are concerned.

BBFan said:
SSH- I am sorry for your pain and trouble and wish you well. But if you have definitive proof that the majority of people in your situation would be relieved through the use of MMJ...is there enough documented proof that this works.
im lucky, i do not have any pain associated with my spasms due to my level of injury.

there is definitive proof that Cannabis stops spasms and no the majority may have favorable outcomes with pharmaceutical options but i am one that pharmaceuticals do not work on.

documented proof. what do you consider documented proof. currently Cannabis is a Schedule I controlled substance meaning that there is NO medicinal value to Cannabis, in the eyes of the USA. if you choose to believe the research done by countries other than the USA then there is mounting evidence of the myriad of medicinal benefits of Cannabis.

NCH
"Whats sad, is I would have no issue with it, but discussions here on this forum have led me to believe that even though we all smoke pot, we SURE are not on the Same page as far as what folks consider "medical", and "commercial".

I couldnt agree with you more. please, keep fighting for those of us who are truly in a Medical need. i also think b/c of the safety nature of cannabis that too many people are trying to hide under the Medicinal umbrella. there definitly needs to be a distinct difference between Medical and recreational use of Cannabis.

Spearchucker
"SSH. Its something that CAN and WOULD be abused by 98% of its users. Small fraction might be in need. But not everyone is going to get a vaporizer. Or buy it in pill form or whatever else. They want to light it up and burn."

although i disagree with your outlook that is whats make this country great, Freedom of Speach.

BBFan said:
SSH- What are the limits? Who decides? Can you smoke pot but you can't do heroin? Why not, you're not hurting anyone by doing heroin. Where do you draw the line?

You are right BBFan, we need limits. It is sad that we have not reached a point that we could all find that limit without harsh laws that judge indiscriminately but that is the world we live in.

Your point about not hurting anyone by doing heroin is very interesting. My take is that people should have the right to do heroin if they so choose as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else. But how do we know heroin use isn't hurting anyone? The nice thing is MJ you can grow yourself and you are sure not to hurt anyone and of course the same is true for opium poppies and coca if you so choose.

Unfortunately, the majority of opium used in heroin today comes from Afghanistan where the profits are being used to hurt people. The same is true with cocaine, it is coming from South America, mainly from Colombia and the profits have been and continue to be used to fuel the paramilitaries and drug cartels who do hurt others.

So my solution is a total legalization and regulation. If not for countless other reasons for this one; no matter what you decided to take, whether it be heroin, cocaine or MJ, you would know where it was coming from and that its production was not hurting innocents as so much of it is now.

You all have great ideas, opinions and stories to tell about MJ in your lives. Thanks for the great posts. I really enjoyed reading your opinions.

I suppose I am started to have a thing against authority more so lately, but when I think about it, its really upsetting to think that some This is my one shot to enjoy and make the most of this life I have. Its confusing though because even as I sit here typing this I DO understand the need for laws and control over society. Without them no one would be able to truly pursue any type of true happiness in a lawless state of anarchy. Its just that the laws and control have gone too far IMHO.

What are the limits?
As I see it, the extremes are "living to get high" (ex. cocaine addict who steals to get $ for drugs), and "getting high to live" (ex. cancerous school teacher recovering from chemotherapy, smoking marijuana so that they can hold down their food).
Who decides?
Ultimately, I think it comes down to each one of us deciding for ourselves, much in the same way we decide how long we study at school, and how much effort we put into our relationships and jobs.
Thankfully, I think the laws of evolution favor those who are passionate, productive, and care about greater things than just feeling a dopamine rush.
Can you smoke pot but you can't do heroin? Why not, you're not hurting anyone by doing heroin.
I agree with Clandestinos' point about not knowing where the heroin profits go.. you may ignore that you are hurting anyone, but that doesn't change the fact that you are a contributing part to a large system.
In my experience of observing certain friends on cocaine/heroin/marijuana, some struggle with their drug usage to the point where they share that they are hurting themselves by using the drug, but do not have the knowledge/power to change themselves.
Where do you draw the line?
I am constantly erasing, and redrawing that line.. allowing my intuition to guide me. I can feel what is right or wrong, for me. I do not think it can measured in terms of grams, or basic environment conditions (ex. only with friends, only at parties), which is why I think all laws, no matter how detailed, will never be perfect for everybody.
I think to use drugs responsibly, one must take into account the entire context of their life, and analyze from a greater perspective (as opposed to "using so I can feel good right now").

Will God stop you from smoking weed? Nope. Will Mother Nature stop you from smoking weed? Nope. Will you stop you from smoking weed? Nope. Will some dude in a wig and a black dress stop you from smoking weed? Yup.

Your rights are provided for you by the law of man. This is the only way that you and I can be held accountable for anything.

You are not entitled to decide what your rights are, someone else is. And unless you are that very 'someone else', this discussion is rather pointless:p

:watchplant:
remind me to finish this read tomorrow...
godbless

NVTHIS:
This thread is not pointless, but it seems like a very libertarian-leaning hypothetical. Perhaps a preface stating: "I'm a big Ayn Rand fan and Libertarian advocate..." would establish a better foundation. Most people know that Libertarians advocate the legalization of all drugs and free markets. To promulgate their political philosophy, they often blog and write letters to the editor to support their party. So here we are pondering a libertarian hypothetical.
Anyway, there is serious movement afoot internationally to change the law of man regarding cannabis. Portugal has changed the way it deals with drug use/abuse. California has Prop. 215 since 1996 and CA Senator Tom Ammiano is proposing to legalize/regulate cannabis by way of public vote next year. As I've said before, the legal history of cannabis and the scientific data employed to initiate and maintain its status as an illegal narcotic is obsolete. It also suffers from a "Reefer Madness/Cheech & Chong" stigma which is maintained by the media and opponents to its legaization/regulation. Incrementally, cannabis is gaining stature as an alternative medicine that helps seriously sick people find relief from chronic illness. And this is very different than the recreational use that millions of adults around the world pursue to alter mood/conscienceness (enhance creativity, make music, dance, eat, drink and be merry) which is a choice, not a right.

It's a right to do drugs...period. Any Drugs. The fact that you should have a CHOICE should be a RIGHT.
Just because Anslinger was a complete clown is the main reason our "right" was taken away.

If you stay out of peoples "bubble", go ahead and do as u please, just don;t effect anyones "bubble". If you want to shoot heroin in your toes, go for it, just don't make me do it.

It is our right to live free here in America. Nothing was ever said by our founding Fathers about throwing drugged up folks in Jail. Those rights were taken away from us to protect us from ourselves, if you ask any anti-drug politician. But I would rather have that RIGHT and CHOOSE for myself, just like alcohol. I choose to drink once in a while, and that is my RIGHT.

If a guy chooses to become a Heroin addict, then that is his right. He will soon have serious health issues and could die, and natural selection has just taken place. Just like the alcoholic who has his liver go out. It was his right to drink himself to death.
Who is anyone to tell these folks that they are wrong? If they are weak minded and fall into an addictive patteren, then they were too weak to begin with, and the drug use will take it's toll. I don't feel sorry for them, it was there choice. Let them kill themselves off by overdoses and criminal behaviour.

I am a FIRM believer in helping yourself, over having someone helping you overcome your own issues. That is just a weak person, who is another sheep in a world of wolves. Just like the sickly african deer lookin' thing getting mauled by the Lions. Natural selection.

What it comes down to for me is let folks exercise thier right to get smashed by whatever means they choose. Just don't let it effect others.
If Heroin becomes legal, lets open up some poppy plantations and take away profit from the "cartels". Don't blame the Cartels for the addicts problem. it's the weak minded addict that is the problem.

"The fact that you should have a CHOICE should be a RIGHT."

This is a tricky statement of logic that is not necessarily true IMHO. The use of the word 'should' twice in the same sentence with respect to CHOICE and RIGHT is redundant at least and clouds the subjectivity between CHOICES AND RIGHTS. The rest of the post seems rife with circuitous, condescending and bombastic statement of opinion typically used by demagogues to hammer home their point and provide a false sense of logical or intellectual superiority. Sort of reminds me of Hannity, O'Reilly and Limbaugh.

However, I do thank you for the Anslinger reference. I was ignorant of his role in U.S. history and the prohibition of cannabis.

Latest posts

Back