Marijuana activist agrees to prison deal

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FruityBud

Reaction score
VANCOUVER -- Canada's most prominent marijuana activist, the self-styled Prince of Pot, may soon be changing his moniker to Prince of Prison.

Facing a possible life sentence in the United States if extradited and convicted on charges of selling marijuana seeds to online U.S. customers, Marc Emery has agreed to a deal that would see him spend a minimum of five years behind bars in Canada.

Although the plea bargain is not yet "signed, sealed and delivered," Mr. Emery, 50, said that he expects to be heading to prison as early as March.

Should the five-year prison sentence be confirmed, it would be one of the harshest punishments in some years to be served in Canada for a marijuana offence.

Mr. Emery, founder of the B.C. Marijuana Party and publisher of Cannabis Culture Magazine, had been openly selling marijuana seeds from his Vancouver store since the 1990s with little interference.

But the so-called "war on drugs" south of the border ensnared Mr. Emery in 2005.

He was busted by the RCMP on an extradition warrant from the U.S. Drug Enforcement Agency, charging him with conspiracy to distribute marijuana seeds and marijuana, and conspiracy to engage in money laundering.

The prison deal was suggested in a letter sent late last year by U.S. assistant district attorney Todd Greenberg to Mr. Emery's Vancouver lawyer, Ian Donaldson.

"Four days ago, I agreed," Mr. Emery said. The legal compromise includes a commitment to drop charges against associates Greg Williams and Michelle Rainey, who are also facing charges in the U.S.

"That's the only reason I took it ... to save my two co-accused," Mr. Emery explained. "Michelle has Crohn's disease and her lawyer said she might have died in jail. I didn't want that on my conscience."

Emily Langlie, spokeswoman for the U.S. Attorney's Office in Seattle, declined comment yesterday on the proposed plea bargain.

"I don't think it is appropriate to say anything about what Mr. Emery is saying. We have submitted an extradition package [to Canada] and we are patiently waiting for the process to play itself out," Ms. Langlie said.

The U.S. charges against Mr. Emery and his co-accused provide sentences ranging from at least 10 years in prison to a maximum of life.

Mr. Greenberg's letter said extradition proceedings would be dropped if Mr. Emery accepted a 10-year sentence in Canada, while agreeing to waive his right to seek an early release for at least five years.

"It's a pretty severe deal for a non-violent first offender," Mr. Emery acknowledged. "There's been no crime, merely a law that's been broken. In Canada, it might be a $200 fine."

But lawyers have told him that almost no one escapes extradition from Canada to the U.S. on an appropriate warrant, no matter how different drug laws are in the United States.

As he held court for reporters in the basement of his Cannabis Culture headquarters on a seedy downtown street, while acolytes in the next room weighed out leaves from a high-inducing Peruvian cactus, Mr. Emery said that prison holds no fear for him.

But he was bitter about Canada's co-operation with U.S. anti-drug authorities.

"We are basically licking the bootstraps of the Bush administration and the DEA, and outsourcing Canada's justice system to the United States," Mr. Emery said. "I'm not concerned about me, but this is a terrible travesty of justice and a violation of our sovereignty. Canada is selling its people out."

He said he expects details of the prison deal to be completed before the extradition hearing for the three accused goes ahead next week.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20080115.BCEMERY15/TPStory/National

Shame on the USA for policing the world once again. Is pot really that important? We have bigger fish to fry than this, it's total **. And shame on Canada for not protecting one of it's citizens...SHAME!!!!!

poor mr emery.
hes a great guy, i love his Mag. and his seeds.
10,000 " Free Emery" t-shirts comeing right up.......

Once again people with too much say so doing that doesnt need to be done and making yet another innocent 3 lives worse off. lets get the signs out and start chanting FREE EMERY

He really is a Prince...
This is a hell of a curveball ~ Emery tells it like it is! Goddamn if it ain't just another honest man going to jail. But a brave one at that. I wonder what effect this will have on other Canadian seedbanks. They are giving him what sounds like an illegally long sentence, to influence other Canadians to stop their activities by implying a similar threat. Neither the U.S. or the Canadian authorities are operating within the law. But they sure will use it to screw you if they can. They're having it both ways, the bastards.
I'll take an honest rogue like Emery over any half-wit politician any damned day of the week!
They want a scapegoat, now they've made themselves an even stronger figurehead, and unlike themselves, Emery appears to be wise enough to avoid the head trip of EITHER of those labels!
Emery will continue to write and be who he is. They will not stomp this out because this **** be DANK and WE ARE THE * WEED!!!
I apologize if anyone is offended by an appropriate use of the old profanity filters. (Actually the filter didn't catch the oedipal fornication word and I've edited it myself)
This board and others like it, and even more so the Canadians and Dutch, are proof that we are Overgrowing them, from within, and there's nothing they can do to stop it from happening, slowly but surely. They're only comfort is locking a good man in jail for a few years and ensuring that they themselves don't live to see the day, but others will. We will grow and overgrow, share and be peaceful, teach our children wisely and appropriately. and all these political zealots and judges and district attorneys will do is continue to draw from the bottom as they always have.

If we buy from him doesn't that make us not terrorists? :rolleyes: Ugh...

Up With Skirts, Down With Pants
Up With Skirts, Down With Pants
Get Naked
Get Real
Get Back
Get Down
Get Stoned Get High Get Free
Free Emery
Free Mandela
Free Jesus
Free The Buddha
Recieve The Moon
Grow The Sacred Herb
Grow Grow Grow Grow
The Voices Of Light Are Saying
Grow Be Free
Free Emery
Free Your ***
Free Your Penis
Free Your Vagina
Free Your Soul Simply There
Simply Here
Letters
Snowflakes
No End In Sight
Gravestones
Dead Bands
Weeds
Sprouting In The Mind Of The Universe
**** From The Light! **** From The Light!
We're Ok We're Here
Don't Kill Anyone
Or We Can't Take You With Us
I Mean, Unless
The Ocean
You Rolling?
Ok Let's Go
It Keeps Expanding
They'll Be Ok
Tomorrow
Star Children
We Made Out Of Love
It Goes On
Gets Better
Keeps Expanding/imploding
Amazing
We've Seen If Before
Keep Going
We're Doing All Right
Gotta Love That Stuff Eh?
All There Is

I want the t-shirt. What a stand up guy to agree to this to save his friends. They'll make a movie of it someday, so don't worry...he'll be set in royalties.

that just burns my a__... when a convicted criminal that commits a violent/viscous (rape for example) crime gets served a sentence of only a few years, and here the "authorities" r pushing for a life sentence with no chance of early parol because Emmery sold SEEDS, for heaven's sakes.... and... didn't he do all this legally? I'm sure he had a business licence....

well it is one way to appease the USA. It's better than life in a US jail. In 3 months he could be out when everything cools down and no one is really paying too much attention. He will never sell seeds again regardless.

It's just a plant....I wish they were this tough on violent crime. This is a travesty nothing else.... You know not to be confrontational but us stoners need to band together, it's ashame cause we could make the gov't look silly if we were organized....we need to fight fire with fire, I myself have decided to grow more plants....LOL. Everytime they try to stop the WEED we need to show them that their efforts are not making a dent or even worse making things worse for themselves. I have also decided to teach as many people as I can how to grow, fire with fire my friends. Get pissed and let everyone know you are pissed, throw seeds everywhere next May...EVERYWHERE!!!! Anything you can do to support the cause. Just don't do something stupid to get in trouble. But throw those seeds everywhere and don't relent....LOL. I feel better now

Sorry for the rant but injustice makes me sick, especially since we should be worrying about the real stuff...not some plants.

here's an idea... let's find out where all these anit-weed politicians live and go do some commando missions and completely saturate their lawns and gardens with MJ seeds ... and phone and report THEM once they start to grow. lol.

u know... wouldn't that be something if people in their OWN family develop some ailment that only MJ can combat without the harmful side effects that some of modern drugs/therapies induce. I wonder just how anti-pot they remain... that's usually how it happens... a staunch anti-weed person changes their position when it involves them....

actully that idea has been around for awhile.
If we just plant MJ everywhere and everywhere and it becomes a wild, well know herb, it could overtake wherever it grows. Like huge huge outdoor crops, but dont tend to em. plant it at parks, cop stations,law offices, lawns w/e.....
there used to be a web site ( by word of mouth) that would send like 100-1000 seeds for you to plant anywhere outside....dont know if its still around.

yeah , I think its dank that there gonna sentance someone so harsh for something as stupid as selling seeds when there are rapists, murderers,and child molesters with not even a quarter of the sentance hes facing ... whats worse is the prisons let the violent offenders go early and live next to our schools, homes, and towns cause of over crouding in prisons ... yet someone does something as simple as selling seeds (which is harmless) and they get a full sentance without possability of early parole .... just shows yah how free we (as americans) really are ....pathetic ...

EDIT EDIT EDIT.. :(

This is the kind of stuff that embarrasses me as an American. I love what this country is supposed to be, but I loathe what it has become. If there is a hell, there is a special place there for people like the and their ilk.

IT'S A FREAKIN' HARMLESS (yet helpful) PLANT!!! HELLO?!?!?! McFLY!!!

Chuck E. Cheeba said:
yeah , I think its dank that there gonna sentance someone so harsh for something as stupid as selling seeds when there are rapists, murderers,and child molesters with not even a quarter of the sentance hes facing ... whats worse is the prisons let the violent offenders go early and live next to our schools, homes, and towns cause of over crouding in prisons ... yet someone does something as simple as selling seeds (which is harmless) and they get a full sentance without possability of early parole .... just shows yah how free we (as americans) really are ....pathetic ...

and it's not even an American citizen that is facing the American government's stupidity....:eek:

That crazy vancouver guy said:
and it's not even an American citizen that is facing the American government's stupidity....:eek:
nope. It's a Canadian citizen, stupid enough to flaunt and dare the US government to do something.
IMHO.. he got exactly what he asked for/wanted.. "martyr" status.
DON'T get me wrong here, "I" don't think anyone should be sent to prison for marijuanna, not for a second. BUT.. he wished to be in the "lime" light, "spotlight", crusading for legalization, and literally dareing anyone to do anything about it. He had fair warning far in advance, he knew it was coming, he got what he wished for.
That doesn't mean that I think it was/is right, only that it could have been avoided.
Prior said the minister's discretion is limited during the early stages of an extradition. The only real issue for the Canadian government when the request came in from the Americans was whether Emery's alleged conduct in the United States would be a crime in Canada as well, he said. "We're not looking at whether or not it's something we would prosecute in Canada. It's whether it's an offence in Canada," said Prior....
..marijuana seeds are most definitely banned under the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act and to think otherwise would be a "misreading" of the law, said Young.
The courts affirmed as much nearly 40 years ago. An Alberta man caught with a jar of hemp seeds argued they weren't illegal, since they have none of the mood-altering compounds found in marijuana leaves. In a 1968 ruling, the Alberta Court of Appeal split 2-1 on the issue.
The dissenting judge said the law was never intended to criminalize the possession of a plant part that had no narcotic properties. Marijuana seeds often show up in bird food, the court was told. But the court majority concluded the criminal prohibition on marijuana was meant to include the small black seeds that give rise to the intoxicating plant.

But Assistant U.S. Attorney Jeff Sullivan, the person in charge of the U.S. justice department's criminal operation in Seattle, said Emery's arrest "has nothing to do with his politics or Canada's approach to marijuana.
"It has to do with the fact that, by his own admission, through his own web site, he was selling millions of seeds and making millions of dollars," Sullivan said. "It has to do with the fact his products showed up in a number of marijuana grow operations in the United States."

Prime Minister Stephen Harper and his “Conservative” government are leading Canada, yet again in a direction it would rather not go.
Conservative Prime Minister Stephen Harper is calling for a cultural shift with Bill C-26, to be enforced by what his political opponents are calling an American-style war on drugs. He has introduced legislation that would set mandatory minimum jail sentences for marijuana growers and traffickers, and he is seeking more money for enforcement and prosecution.
The goal of enforcement and prosecution is to once again criminalize the small producer of marijuana, as well as the small time user.
.. Written by terry.wrist on Jan 8th, 2008

http://www.marijuanamilitia.com/?p=30

from the content of this article, I don't see canada heading in a more receptive direction.
DEA influenced?? I would imagine so. But at least we have our individual state governments enforcing the medical allowances against the fed's.

I myself prefer the person in pain calling out in public areas pushing medical advocacy and challenging our govt. standpoint on it than some dude sittin on an internet show pulling bong rips and slamming the US.
Plus, his seeds sure weren't "affordable" for med peeps...probably why he could afford all the legal fees. :rolleyes:
Just my 2:bits

Latest posts

Back