Marijuana decriminalization law goes into effect

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FruityBud

Reaction score
It's no longer a crime to have one ounce or less of pot. The state's new marijuana decriminalization law, approved by voters in a November referendum, goes into effect today.

Those who are caught with an ounce or less would get a ticket similar to a building code citation. They could appeal the civil infraction in court within 21 days or pay a $100 fine set in the law. Juvenile violators would have to pay the fine and attend a drug abuse counseling course, or have the fine increased to $1,000.

The state Executive Office of Public Safety and Security released guidelines Monday in response to questions about the law. The state noted that the new statute applied to all substances that contain THC, which includes hashish and hash oil. THC, or tetrahydrocannabinol, is the active ingredient in marijuana that gives users a high.

The state also asked communities to consider passing local ordinances criminalizing the use of marijuana in public, which today is only a civil offense if the smoker possesses an ounce or less.

hxxp://tinyurl.com/8cue88

yea just wondering is this in every state or only some bc i live in maryland and i really doubt they would pass something like that here

oh well arent you guys lucky lol well hopefully that law will be passed in all the states but until then we'll still get hassled by leo

Great post fruity,as for the site which the article is on is total ignorance at its finest.plz anyone who bothers reading this and is interested,make your way over to the link posted by fruity and read the horrible comments made by some of the users.it really is infuriating.one small step at a time for us on this topic,but once we get to the top we will be a permanent force.:)

SmokinMom said:
Wish it was Texas!!! :p

I was born and raised around Dallas most my life untill I moved to Florida 3 yrs ago. Laws a little better in Texas then here in Florida.:confused:

I am not sure if its still this way in the lone star, but when I lived there in 95 it was actually illegal to have purchased an adult movie that had a picture of ANYONE with ANYTHING in the butt :D so all the movies had parts cut out. of the box.

EDIT Damn I love smoking pot, the messed up winters in TX would have been much easier if I had smoked back then.

The winters are perfect Elven. It was 80 today.....may have snow next week. :p

SmokinMom said:
The winters are perfect Elven. It was 80 today.....may have snow next week. :p

Well I lived in this odd little town near the panhandle called Hell I mean Wichita Falls and besides the fact that there was a temp swing of like 90 degrees in one night made me believe that God hates Wichita Falls.

Elven said:
Well I lived in this odd little town near the panhandle called Hell I mean Wichita Falls and besides the fact that there was a temp swing of like 90 degrees in one night made me believe that God hates Wichita Falls.

I had kinfolk in Iowa Park, I think was the name of the town. Had alot of oil derrecks and rattlesnakes.

Nice Job Mass! This is the same in Cali. for non MMJ folks.

SmokinMom said:
Wish it was Texas!!! :p
Actually, do some research but I'm pretty sure I saw something where Texas is trying to make medical use an acceptable defense to a marijuana arrest. This would mean you would still be arrested, but if you could present a doctor's recommendation at your court date that's all you need. It's not quite as good as Cali's no-arrest system, but hell, it's better than nothing.

TommyBres said:
Actually, do some research but I'm pretty sure I saw something where Texas is trying to make medical use an acceptable defense to a marijuana arrest. This would mean you would still be arrested, but if you could present a doctor's recommendation at your court date that's all you need. It's not quite as good as Cali's no-arrest system, but hell, it's better than nothing.

That would be awesome! Although it would warp my sense of reality to the breaking point.

Latest posts

Back