Marijuana growers worsening California drought

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FruityBud

Reaction score
Large marijuana plots hidden deep in California’s public lands have illegally diverted hundreds of millions of gallons of water, compounding shortages caused by the state’s ongoing drought.

Public officials in Mendocino County, a region on California’s north coast known for its lush redwood forests and potent cannabis, have witnessed rivers and creeks drained by the large-scale drug operations.

“They’re using a whole lot of water.” said Lt. Rusty Noe of the Mendocino County sheriff’s office in a telephone interview with the Bright Green Blog.

Lt. Noe noted that police have seized more than 500,000 pot plants this season in Mendocino County alone. Each plant requires about one gallon of water per day. California is entering the fourth year of a severe drought, with residents in some areas facing the first mandatory water restrictions in two decades and farms laying of thousands of workers.

“It’s really affecting our water supply,” said Noe of the illicit growing sites.

Noe also cited other environmental damage caused by the plantations, including the dumping of toxic chemicals (a subject we covered a year ago) and erosion of soil and underbrush.”These camps are just unbelievable,” said Noe, who noted that the problem is getting steadily worse each year.

“It is making a huge resource impact,” Dennis Slota, a hydrologist with the Mendocino County Water Agency, told the Bright Green Blog over the phone. Mr. Slota said that he knew personally of two steelhead trout streams that are now dead from illegal water diversion.

Slota suggested that most of the environmental destruction is caused not by Mendocino’s local pot growers, who have long taken advantage of the county’s mild climate and tolerant views toward the drug, but by mostly Mexican crime syndicates that, in the 1990s, began planting large plots deep in the woods, which they would abandon after the October-November harvest.

His views are echoed by Ron Pugh, a US Forest Service special agent, who was quoted in the spring issue of Terrain, a Northern California environmental magazine:

Says Pugh about the sheer volume of grows, “This is not a hippie thing.” He’s come prepared with a list of comparisons between a “hippie” grow and a DTO site—one maintained by a drug trafficking organization. A traditional garden on public lands, Pugh says, has one or two growers and fewer than fifty plants. The gardener, who lives locally, hikes in every other day or so, carrying water for his plants. Firearms are uncommon, and locations are predictable. “They’re within a quarter mile of a road,” Pugh explains, “and they’re rarely uphill. White guys are lazy.”

The DTO sites, on the other hand, are as remote as the growers can get, often three miles from the nearest road. They contain an average of 6,600 plants, tended by an average of seven growers who live in tents the entire season, from May to October. The growers are aided by scanners, radios, night-vision goggles, an arsenal of weapons, and truckloads of plastic pipe to divert area streams to their plants, sometimes from as far as a half-mile away. When they abandon the site in the fall, they leave behind mountains of trash, about as much trash as a small city dump.

Writing for Blue Living Ideas, a news website that covers water issues, Jennifer Lance notes that only 1 in 8 of those arrested in Mendocino this season for growing marijuana are from the county. She also notes that the county’s district attorney is investigating at least one recently seized grow operation for “environmental crimes” and “water diversion,” on top of drug crimes.

hxxp://tinyurl.com/yjx7wfu

Why the mexican cartels growing here now? And not in Mexico?

The gardener, who lives locally, hikes in every other day or so, carrying water for his plants. Firearms are uncommon, and locations are predictable. “They’re within a quarter mile of a road,” Pugh explains, “and they’re rarely uphill. White guys are lazy.”

what an ignorant comment...just anther reason in my mind to allow legal growing so people wont buy from cartels and water thieves and terrorists as they like to say....

Fine with me keep the heat on the cartel guys this lazy white boy will keep it indoors or my own property. Also wouldnt the fertelizers they use help the local vegetation? They act like its killing the forest.

xxdjbud420xx said:
Why the mexican cartels growing here now? And not in Mexico?

They lost too much trying to cross our borders, so they decided to just grow it here.

frertilizers are not natural to the environment and do cause harm to the waterways.

The Effen Gee said:
frertilizers are not natural to the environment and do cause harm to the waterways.

Wonder how they allow farmers to do it then. They spray fields with worse stuff I promise you.

^^^that's definitely true, pesticides are never good... on the other hand though, many growers don't use organic nutes and fertilizers, therefore harming the soil in which they plant marijuana. it will seep down to the ground water and mix in with the water system, which is a horrible thing. yeah..... i'm a hippy. i got a few spots planned out for next year which are coincidentally not more than a 1/4 mile from a road. lol but this is in a city, not the remote forest.

anyways, i got pissed when they said that each plant requires A GALLON EVERY DAY!!!!!!! are they serious? they obviously don't know what they are talking about. for one thing, plants in the ground need less water since they can access ground water, and if you gave a plant a gallon a day, it would drown, plain and simple.

i have a hatred for mexican cartels, but i have almost an equal hatred when people spew out ignorance as is exemplified in this article. jeeez they are just talking out of their rectums. :hairpull: :hairpull:

LOL I agree just get a little annoyed when people think we are distroying the wild live with nuts. I live on the water and have plants growing by the water. I love the water! and dont want it ruined im just saying most nuts for growing dont distroy the earth rather the idiots that leave there garbage in the woods or the indoor generator operated grows would be more accurate by my thoughts.

yeah definitely. like that one grow that they showed after it was dismantled in The Union or whatever it was called. they had 2 ginormous generators in underground freight cars that were running on diesel. those are the kind of people that grow purely for profit, and they're the kind of people who piss me off. if you hook up a friend or two with some bud every now and again, that's one thing, but when your sole occupation is growing weed, and you start putting money before morals, that's when you need to really assess what you're doing.

captain1 said:
Wonder how they allow farmers to do it then. They spray fields with worse stuff I promise you.

well...

that is why we have zoned farmlands with proper(ish) drainage and some amount of regulation as to what you can use where.

coming from a long line of farmers here in california I can tell you with 100% certanty that just because the label says organic does not mean that it is much better for you or the environment.

wilderness and forest areas are not suitable to sustain mass farming. if you believe this to be true I invite you to spend some time looking into africa and south america and how well that is going for the forests there.

just because we all love to smoke pot does not mean mother nature needs to take one for the team just because we like to get high.

feel me?

weird thought...our water issues have worsened but our air is better...maybe because of all the plants?

“They’re within a quarter mile of a road,” Pugh explains, “and they’re rarely uphill. White guys are lazy.”
rofl-Man, they nailed it there. My plants(never more than 6) are 50 yards away and if i had to tend to and trim, hang, cure more than that, i'd hire someone!!!:D Amazes me these huge grows. Wife and i have plenty and thats giving away ALOT! Yup, this white-azz hippie has been profiled!!:hubba:

The Effen Gee said:
just because we all love to smoke pot does not mean mother nature needs to take one for the team just because we like to get high.

feel me?
True that. I am guilty too because I am still smoking the Mexican Swag. Not for long though. Mass Fertilizers are bad for our waterways. I doubt however that the Mexicans (please, I mean no offence to anybody here who is Hispanic) are using much fertilizer.

Latest posts

Back