Marijuana-shaped candy alarms parents, officials

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Roddy said:
Glad you jumped in Ston, but what makes you think I haven't already had several talks with my kids? I wouldn't need a bag of candy to break the ice, I'm much more proactive than that!

Tell me this, did you listen to your parents? Never tried any drugs, never drank?

I wasn't attacking you by the way, just posting my thoughts and questions.

Glad you have talked to them then. (*edit-pending what you said, haha*) I don't see what the point of all this is then. What negatives will a package with mj leaves on them have with those children then?

And to answer your question, My parents were the "DONT DONT DONT, this is wrong, that is wrong, DONT DONT DONT" I sure as hell did everything and anything under the sun. That's the difference. I will talk to my girls in a few years once they're old enough and tell them my true feeling on all of that. AND WHY! Not just "DONT, IT'S WRONG", but what can happen with things, what's happend to me with things growing up. And for one, I don't think mj is wrong. I don't want my young child smoking it, but once they hit an age that my opinion doesn't matter. They will atleast know my take, and have as much guidance as I could give them before they make that decision.

Roddy, I applaud you. While I don't feel as strongly as you do, nor am I as passionate as you are, good for you for sticking up for something you believe so strongly in.
--
This candy sounds like more of a novelty item- one that would be sold up by the register along with the fake roses, female arousel pills, and cheap sunglasses inside inner city convinience stores and dirty gas stations. The kind of places I prefer not to bring my kids into unless I really have to. Mainly because I don't feel much like answering a million questions about what those things are for. Thank goodness for Pay At The Pump!!

I don't see how a candy has anything to do with marijuana awareness at all. To me, unless its chocolate or breath mints, every other sugary concoction in a wrapper really is geared towards kids. Especially one with a cartoon on the front.

Sure, I had candy cigarettes too as a kid. Were cigarettes illegal? Nope. But yes, I was indeed under age. I also enjoyed IBC Rootbeer like many kids, it looks like drinking the real thing. And Big League Chew, the grape kind...mm mmm mmm. None of those I remember causing a stir. I did end up partaking in all of the real equivilents as a teenager though. Even the chew- yuck!

I don't understand how poor parenting comes into the equasion at all...??? Anyone hear of mass media? It's media that influences kids the most these days, regardless of what the parent tries to do, or not do.

Now I havent taken the time to fully read this thread- there's a ballgame on that has my attention. My reply is written in haste and I may have to come back to clarify later. But I'm not big on this candy if sold at stores where children frequent. I would find it cool in adult novelty stores however and would probably buy it as a gag gift.

SmokinMom said:
But I'm not big on this candy if sold at stores where children frequent. I would find it cool in adult novelty stores however and would probably buy it as a gag gift.

I believe you and I think much alike! :)

ston-loc said:
I wasn't attacking you by the way, just posting my thoughts and questions.

Glad you have talked to them then. (*edit-pending what you said, haha*) I don't see what the point of all this is then. What negatives will a package with mj leaves on them have with those children then?

And to answer your question, My parents were the "DONT DONT DONT, this is wrong, that is wrong, DONT DONT DONT" I sure as hell did everything and anything under the sun. That's the difference. I will talk to my girls in a few years once they're old enough and tell them my true feeling on all of that. AND WHY! Not just "DONT, IT'S WRONG", but what can happen with things, what's happend to me with things growing up. And for one, I don't think mj is wrong. I don't want my young child smoking it, but once they hit an age that my opinion doesn't matter. They will atleast know my take, and have as much guidance as I could give them before they make that decision.

I know you weren't, my friend, sorry if I came across harshly!

Ok, I skimmed the original post and the name of the candy is The "Pothead Ring Pots," or "Pothead Lollipops".

Do you think many folks will take the name Pothead seriously? This will have no effect on the legalization of marijuana and could end up being very counterproductive in the cause. I, personally, don't appreciate being labeled a "pothead" by society.

SmokinMom said:
Ok, I skimmed the original post and the name of the candy is The "Pothead Ring Pots," or "Pothead Lollipops".

Do you think many folks will take the name Pothead seriously? This will have no effect on the legalization of marijuana and could end up being very counterproductive in the cause. I, personally, don't appreciate being labeled a "pothead" by society.

And that's your right......just don't go asking the government to ban them because you don't like being labeled a pot head. That is the whole point to all of this....individual rights.

For the record I cld care less if this helps or hurts " the cause". I do care and I served my country for the rights of individuals to decide things for themselves without the will of others being imposed on them through the government.
If you don't like or approve of the candy don't buy it or let your kids buy it...yes, you as the parent have that power. That's your choice...don't make mine for me....I got it and I will make it myself thanks.:rolleyes:

SmokinMom said:

You are absolutely right on that, even the name of the candy is offensive!

No, the legalize is merely a marketing ploy, and a good one. Some people will try to make a buck off anything, I still remember the 9/11 tribute items people tried to pass off. Worse yet, some actually buy in.

Yes, I agree hammy. But I still don't have to like it. Am I going to boycott, or take away the rights of others to be able to buy this product? Of course not.

Luckily, I see this candy as a fad that will quickly phase out and be forgotten after the hoopla wears off...or wind up strictly in those adult novelty stores. I'll buy a pack then.

I am curious though, if anyone finds the name pothead derogatory, or if it's just me. When it comes to legalization, I think we'd have better luck with words that shed a more positive light...

Roddy said:
Imagine your 13 or so child (let's say a girl for this case) is with friends, they see a bag of this candy and think it's funny so they buy. As they're sharing, a kid comes up and says he has the real mccoy, why play with the kid stuff. Kid pressure pushes and it leads to.....

I was the 13 year old kid with the weed....no really.
Started puffin' tough then, that was bad?

NorCalHal said:
I was the 13 year old kid with the weed....no really.
Started puffin' tough then, that was bad?

Oh, you're one of "those guys" are you?

I actually didn't like to smoke MJ much when I was younger....tried it a cpl times around 14 and it didn't fit my lifestyle at the time...the stuff i tried back then made me sleepy and lethargic and I was either on a baseball field, basketball court or hockey ring for most of my youth.:) I wld play basketball from 8 am till curfew on the weekendsin the late summer early fall. I made a choice that MJ didn't fit my life at that time....and I wld like to think that my parents helped me make that choice by being a parent to me and not waiting for someone or something else to do it for them.

I think that's great that you enjoyed athletics HL, you seemed to be a pretty good kid who did a little experimenting. Was it all necessarily good parenting?
I'd like to think my dad did a good job with me as well, even if I followed a different path.

One thing I will say, if my kids follow my path, they won't get away with it as easily as I already know all the tricks. :giggle:

Roddy said:
Well Hammy, guess you can't read, really thought you were more capable than that. Sad, really sad...

:eek: Is this your type sarcasm arriving to the thread, Roddy?

:eek: Dang better remove all those lighters they have at convenient stores and gas stations too and have that talk with the kids about playing with fire and doing drugs because they can be used for many purposes.

pcduck said:
:eek: Dang better remove all those lighters they have at convenient stores and gas stations too and have that talk with the kids about playing with fire and doing drugs because they can be used for many purposes.

Around here, they don't sell lighters to kids...not sure the age they start selling to them though.

SmokinMom said:
I think that's great that you enjoyed athletics HL, you seemed to be a pretty good kid who did a little experimenting. Was it all necessarily good parenting?
I'd like to think my dad did a good job with me as well, even if I followed a different path.

One thing I will say, if my kids follow my path, they won't get away with it as easily as I already know all the tricks. :giggle:

That's a fact, mine can't figure out how I know what's going on all the time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back