Medical Marijuana Supporters Aiming For Raleigh

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FruityBud

Reaction score
"It's not about getting high whatsoever," says Rocky Hoveland of his previous medical marijuana use. He and other members of the North Carolina Cannabis Patients Network are gaining steam behind their efforts.

The group now counts more than 150 people who currently use or would benefit from medical marijuana in the Tar Heel State.

"I'm not saying sit down and just get smoked up, obliterated," Hoveland clarifies. "I'm saying you know, it's... for me being on an even keel or a plateau where I could just tolerate the pain and still function and still have all my wits about me."

Hoveland is a tree cutter who suffers from arthritis, joint pain, and broken bones. He says legal painkiller drugs are often too strong for him, or cause adverse reactions in his body.

He got in trouble for growing his own marijuana several years ago. But if he could afford the drug right now, he'd use it to feel better. "If you had the choice an opportunity to use and subside that pain and that's your only choice, wouldn't you choose that?" Hoveland asks. "Instead of suffering all the time?"

But addiction counselors like Rebecca Austin aren't convinced. She helps teens and adults break drug habits at the Ringer Center in Greensboro.

"I don't buy it," says Austin of medical marijuana use. "While it may alleviate symptoms, it also compromises the immune system. So while we may have a short term treatment, we may have long-term effects."

Austin also worries about disregarding marijuana's addiction risk. "The message that that gives to teens and others is that marijuana is safe in all instances and I think that's a very dangerous message to send."

Hoveland other medical marijuana supporters aim to send a message to state legislators to allow safe and legal access to the drug.

The NCCPN is seeking a bill that would allow patients and doctors to do marijuana research. Members claim they're teaming up with local state representative Earl Jones, who has supported similar legislation in the past.

Jones did not return phone calls from WFMY News 2.

hxxp://tinyurl.com/7mjblo

I think it falls under the catogory of inhalation of any smoke is harmful to your health...

its simple...if that's one of their biggest rebuttals

vape or cook :) done

FruityBud said:

Austin also worries about disregarding marijuana's addiction risk. "The message that that gives to teens and others is that marijuana is safe in all instances and I think that's a very dangerous message to send."

this makes me so angry.how about the dangerous false information there sending...anyone that has sense knows its not 100% safe and its not addictive.and because its available for medical use does not send a message to anybody about how safe it is in any instance.is fentynal safe because we use it to treat pain?hell no and just because it works so well nooone walks away at the end of the day telling anyone how safe it is nor does anyone get that idea.these anti people treat everyone like dirt,they treat people like that have no sense at all,and the sad thing about it is its true.yes alot of "they" and "them" talk haha.

Latest posts

Back