MMJ and jobs...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
umbra said:
I don't want to start an argument in which you call me names because you do not agree with me. But while this may be the case in some instances, this is not why testing exists. It exists because the fed gov will with hold funding, contracts, or any business to a company that does not do drug testing. So most companies go with the flow, because the feds will impact your bottom line if you do not follow suit. This was referred to as the Drug - Free Workplace act of 1988. This act REQUIRES all federal contractors to prohibit the unlawful use, distribution, manufacture, dispensation and/or possession of controlled substances. The current court cases in Cali deal with just these issues of "unlawful use" and "controlled substances".
But I do agree it is much easier to avoid the problem than it is to butt heads.
I've never called anyone a name just because they didn't agree with me, umbra. I usually call people names after they've pissed me off for some reason.

I see what you're saying and agree with you in that both, what you've said and what I've said are true. Both reasons are major factors in why drug testing exists in the workplace.

In some cases, it makes sense. I really don't want *anyone* who has been drinking, smoking or sniffing anything to be driving my grandchildren to school. If no controls were in place at all, then I'm sure there would be tragic examples of why those controls should have been in place.

Sure, the gubmint uses it's full weight to require drug testing within those entities that come within it's purview. That's what gubmints do.

Even the "Dam" itself is now considering changes to it's up-to-now, lenient policies. Many affluent members of the senior Amsterdam lawmakers are considering a tougher stance against MJ.

The Bible belt of MJ has laws in place to restrict growing, far below what is considered to be the way of life in the Dam. How many plants, when and where they can be grown. How much weight of MJ can be on hand at any given moment within a tavern....

Sadly, the world as a whole is far behind where it should be in how it views marijuana usage. We have TWENTY THOUSAND members on this site that disagree mostly with those outdated views.

Slowly, but surely, we are changing public opinion of our Lady MJ.

We all *do* know that the gubmints will be the last to give in.

I am speaking for Cali, as I only know Cali laws well enough to input.

MMJ is not an exemption under California law for Emplee drug testing. Unfortunatly, thats it, end of story.

I forget the actual case, but it was an employee of AT&T and fought to save his job, and lost. That case set precedence in MMJ cases regarding employment.

I had a close friend who had to test after an accident at work, and had to test, regardless of his MMJ reccomendation. He lost his job after refusing a treatment program, impatient for a month!

I do not forsee MMJ making ANY headway into being exempt from Drug testing until it is reclassified Federally.

As Stoney said, the best way is to just quit for a month or so, then take your test. Most employers only test if an accident occurs that you are involved in. If you are at a company that does random, then you are going to get caught, sooner or later, or at least I would, and it would be real soon!

StoneyBud said:
I've never called anyone a name just because they didn't agree with me, umbra. I usually call people names after they've pissed me off for some reason.

I see what you're saying and agree with you in that both, what you've said and what I've said are true. Both reasons are major factors in why drug testing exists in the workplace.

In some cases, it makes sense. I really don't want *anyone* who has been drinking, smoking or sniffing anything to be driving my grandchildren to school. If no controls were in place at all, then I'm sure there would be tragic examples of why those controls should have been in place.

Sure, the gubmint uses it's full weight to require drug testing within those entities that come within it's purview. That's what gubmints do.

Even the "Dam" itself is now considering changes to it's up-to-now, lenient policies. Many affluent members of the senior Amsterdam lawmakers are considering a tougher stance against MJ.

The Bible belt of MJ has laws in place to restrict growing, far below what is considered to be the way of life in the Dam. How many plants, when and where they can be grown. How much weight of MJ can be on hand at any given moment within a tavern....

Sadly, the world as a whole is far behind where it should be in how it views marijuana usage. We have TWENTY THOUSAND members on this site that disagree mostly with those outdated views.

Slowly, but surely, we are changing public opinion of our Lady MJ.

We all *do* know that the gubmints will be the last to give in.

Once again Stoney Bud, I couldn't have said it better myself ! :D

I drove for a living until I retired...a company with gov. contracts as well as others. I guess my boss wasn't too smart, or trusted my judgement. We were required to take a pre-employment test (I was already working there when it came about) and every year after that. Boss told me the same thing every time..."let me know when you can pass it". This was a requirement by the gov. agency we were contracted with. As far as insurance goes...if we didn't crash they didn't test us, but those that did wreck were bottled immediately.

I doubt he was a dummy, good help is hard to find and some times you have to do the right thing for your employee as a person even if it does mean pulling the shades down a bit ! Good to hear that you didnt get fired for some bull **** like smoking a lill grass !

Latest posts

Back