Montana Marijuana Invades Idaho

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FruityBud

Reaction score
Keeping the community drug-free has become more of a challenge lately in the Upper Valley.

Law enforcement officers said they are seeing an increase in marijuana possession during routine traffic stops and say much of it stems from Montana.

While pot is legal for medical purposes in Montana, once it crosses into Idaho it's illegal with or without a Montana medical marijuana card.

Fremont County patrol supervisor Vince Kaaiakamanu said marijuana use is more common than ever, and the legalization of medical marijuana in bordering states may be to blame.

"Where our county borders the Montana line, we're getting people coming in all the time,” Kaaiakamanu said.

In the last month the county has made 15 narcotic arrests. Last year there were 47 during the entire year.

And it's not just Fremont County.

Last Thursday, Idaho State Police arrested a Montana couple when they found more than $2,000 worth of pot in their car.

Rexburg Police Capt. Randy Lewis said over the last two years they, too, have seen a dramatic increase during routine traffic stops.

"It's the same thing, it;s chronic toe pain, chronic back pain, and I'm talking 20-year-old's,” Lewis said, “It's obvious it's just a portal for people taking drugs."

The 25-year-old Rexburg man police arrested last weekend in a domestic dispute was also charged with possession of marijuana.

While he is a resident of Idaho, Montana issued him a medical marijuana card.

"How's this going to stop? Montana is going to have to do something, they are causing a drug epidemic whether they know it or not,” Lewis said.

Lewis also said they are seeing it all over Idaho counties that border Montana.

"I don't know why, but the Montana cars we are stopping are producing marijuana,” Lewis said. “It's affecting our youth and us police departments and county offices are not going to put up with it, we will continue to arrest them."

Officers said they don't mean to target Montana drivers, but said it's fairly common to find marijuana when they pull one over for a traffic violation.

The state of Montana is cracking down on the issue. The state legislature just passed a bill last week to limit who qualifies for medical cannabis. The law is effective July 1.

hxxp://tinyurl.com/3tkxw8u

FruityBud Fremont County patrol supervisor Vince Kaaiakamanu said marijuana use is more common than ever said:
hxxp://tinyurl.com/3tkxw8u[/B]

I have to say that I really dislike cops with attitudes like this. Who is he that thinks he can decide whether someone is in need of mmj. Would he have said anything if they had oxycotin or some other heavy narcotic? You do not hear this complaint from the panhandle of Idaho (a more progressive part of the state)--a narrow strip of land between Montana and Washington, it has to be worse there. Rexburg is a just very small religious community with very conservative ideas.

Maybe it is time Idaho looked at their archaic laws and got in with the 21th century.

When me and my Mrs. got our Medical cards they told us that they have lawyers to help with any legal problems that might arise, but if we get busted in Idaho, Don't call.

SKAGITMAGIC said:
When me and my Mrs. got our Medical cards they told us that they have lawyers to help with any legal problems that might arise, but if we get busted in Idaho, Don't call.

LOL--I am not surprised.....

Abuses like the guy from Idaho getting a Montana card surely can't help.....

When I go into parts of Idaho and see the confederate flag and hear the theme song from diliverence in my head, it is a scary place. It is our version of some hollars in the south. Get through it as fast as ya can.

Rosebud said:
When I go into parts of Idaho and see the confederate flag and hear the theme song from diliverence in my head, it is a scary place. It is our version of some hollars in the south. Get through it as fast as ya can.

What were those guys in deliverance growing? HAHAHA
Every holler in the south has weed growing in it LOL
I missed the correlation to being "anti-pot: LOL

The 25-year-old Rexburg man police arrested last weekend in a domestic dispute was also charged with possession of marijuana.
OMG no mention if he was drunk too.

but the Montana cars we are stopping are producing marijuana
Rolling "pot" lab? :confused:
While he is a resident of Idaho, Montana issued him a medical marijuana card
Well that just made Montana look dumb.

Roddy said:
Abuses like the guy from Idaho getting a Montana card surely can't help.....

I'm not sure I would call that abuse. I just think that Fremont County has "little Barney Fifes" for cops....

Mutt said:
What were those guys in deliverance growing? HAHAHA
Every holler in the south has weed growing in it LOL
I missed the correlation to being "anti-pot: LOL

Shoot, I wish I knew that about the hollars. I would not have sped through them. You know, i should not have said that. I just feel the same in both of those places, I want to leave quickly. Thanks for the heads up Mutt. I do apologize.

Rosebud said:
I would not have sped through them.
I am not saying its a good idea to stop and look at the scenery :rofl:. Was cruising backroads with my late wife one day and ran up on a Klan Rally. needless to say we just turned around and left....I'm white and knew I wanted the heck outa there :eek:

You're welcome to chill in my holler anytime. We'll slap some ribs on the smoker and twist a "tater" up. While sippin some good bourbon. ;)

You one of those southern US farmers Mutt? Done some work in Montana/Wyoming/Dakotas . I miss working up there.

Latest posts

Back