mr kitty and his marijuana adventure

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Mishter Keety has been rescued from the pound a month or so ago. He was a borderline feral stray, extremely emaciated and wounded from a fight. We've since nursed him back to health

I was recently went out (or in maybe?) of my mind with a few friends and we weren't exactly paying much attention to anything for very long and the extremely potent, coma-potent, brownies were left upon the stovetop with only plastic covering. Being the curious little bastardo that he is, mishter keety (thats how i say it), helped himself to some chocolately goodness. Little did he know what he was in for. The effects upon him were EXTREMELY apparent. Lost all coordination. Missed the chair he jumps on to get by his bowl. He has bright green eyes and they were CASSSSHED, kinda drippy and half rolled into his head. He still purred but this overly active energizer bunny of a kitty was quite stationary and sleepy. When I noticed it he was sitting perfectly still with his eyes closed and ears twitching in the middle of the kitchen floor.

He spent the next two days munching and meditating for hours upon end. It's been exactly one week and he's still not quite back to normal. But then again, normal was antagonizing the patrons of my home, climbing walls and being pretty much an all out a-hole.

He's still either a still a bit stoned or changed permanently (for the better imo).. It's been a week and he's much more calm but not abnormally calm. He still plays alot but he hasnt jumped and attacked my face once. He now comes to purr, sit and be pet rather than attack you and run away over and over. He's still inquisitive and understands my tone of voice with a HEY or a NO. Frankly, I was worried that I broke the cat. I no longer fear that. I havent seen him sit still for longer than 5 minutes until I got back from vacation today. He was layin on the ground for a nap over 20 minutes ago and he's still snoozin and purring in his sleep. He can finally relax around us.

Long story short. Mishter Keety was changed for the better by good ol' mary jane. If it wears off in a few weeks and he becomes an antagonistic a-hole again I may feed him some more IDK. All I know is he ate more than enough of the brownies to get 4 full grown men high and he didnt puke, piss on the floor or die.

(i checked the rules, sometimes this topic is taboo but apparently we're cool with it here and it's interesting to me at least)

Hey, I think when the animal finds our stash by accident it is completely different and safe to talk about then if we are forcing something upon a unwilling critter.

If he does become an *** again, leave a brownie on the counter. :p

LOL, well I've been somewhat at odds this cat since we got him. Not my cat. Today is the first day he's been tolerable, even cute and fun. He's acting like my cousins' adorable cuddly kitty instead of a feral a-hole. He likes to be the center of attention.

Maybe he appreciates you smokin him up:D
My friends cat got stoned one night while myself and my mate were havin a smoke in his shed and I swear to jebus we could see the cat smiling back, it was pretty surreal,after that night now the cat walks around as if it was people and even sits with us while we smoke up maybe waiting for the joint to be passed to him:D

Veterinary Q & A: Chocolate Toxicity

From Janet Tobiassen Crosby, DVM,
Your Guide to Veterinary Medicine.

Chocolate can be toxic, and sometimes even fatal, for animals. Dogs are most commonly affected, due to their ability to find it and the common 'sweet tooth' they seem to have.

It is important to remember that cats and other species are susceptible to the toxic effects of chocolate, too.

What makes chocolate toxic, anyway?

Chocolate is made from the fruit (beans) of the cacao tree. Theobromine, a component of chocolate, is the toxic compound in chocolate. (Caffeine is also present in chocolate, but in much smaller amounts than Theobromine.)

Quick Guide for Theobromine levels in different types of chocolate:
From The Merck Veterinary Manual, 8th ed :

Unsweetened (Baker's) chocolate = 390-450 mg Theobromine per oz chocolate
Milk chocolate = 44-60 mg Theobromine per oz chocolate

Semi-sweet is a bit less than half of the Theobromine content as Baker's chocolate.

How much is too much?

The toxic dose of Theobromine (and caffeine) for pets is 100-200mg/kg. (1 kiliogram = 2.2 pounds). However, various reports by the ASPCA (American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals) have noted problems at doses much lower than this - i.e. 20mg/kg.

Folks, please remember that chocolate is a POISON to animals.

"Is it ok if I just give them a little?
Think of it in another way; "Is it ok if I poison my pet just a little?"
NO, it is not ok.

Your pet trusts you to NOT poison them at all. Just as a child, YOU have to make sure that your pet doesn't get into things that are not good for them.

If poison bathroom cleaner tasted good to a child, would you give them "just a little" so they could enjoy it?

Of course not. Love your pets. Don't give them poison.

What effects does marijuana have on cats?

Cats will hardly ever ingest the plant (Marijuana) of their own accord, however they are very susceptible to the effects of marijuana smoke, something which can be quite noticeable.

Effects on the cat are lethargy, and uncordinated movement, occasionally coupled with wide bright eyes. They are extremely relaxed, often rolling onto their backs, and sprawling out.

They are usually very quiet when under the effects. They are never panicked or upset, yet smoke close to them especially in their face can be too much for the cat.

Toxicity is low, it takes over a gram of marijuana per pound of body weight for it to be fatal; however, cats ingesting marijuana or THC will become very lethargic.

Some hallucinate, or are noticeably uncoordinated; they may shake or stumble. Most vomit, sometimes for forty-eight hours or more, although the cat will stop vomiting after twenty-four hours.

This can happen intermittently or consistently until the effects wear off, especially lethargy. While cats sleep often, if lifted up, an affected cat may not resist; its body might hang limp. This could happen even after the cat has begun to walk around or jump and play a bit, too.

If your cat does ingest marijuana, watch it for at least forty-eight hours (especially check for vomiting), because it can breathe in the vomit which can cause death.

If your cat is not eating, drinking, licking (if even just a little bit), purging, if its eyes will not open, if you think it is experiencing pain, if it is whining, or if it does not respond well within twenty-four hours, contact your vet.

While marijuana alone is not highly toxic, the symptoms themselves can cause serious illness, injury, or death.
n.b. it is interesting to note that catnip, and types of marijuana are quite closely related plants. Yet each plant has different chemicals acting upon the user.

However, although the cat seems to express a lot of the symptoms usually associated with the effects of marijuana on humans, we must remember they are not humans. Marijuana could have unknown, unseen detrimental effects to the animal, and as such, cats should not be subjected to the use of it.

EVER

Edward F. Domino (1971)
NEUROPSYCHOPHARMACOLOGIC STUDIES OF MARIJUANA: SOME SYNTHETIC AND NATURAL THC DERIVATIVES IN ANIMALS

Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences 191 (1), 166-191

I would definitely be careful with the brownies. Chocolate isn't good for animals. As for the mj, if it ate all that mj and had no ill effects, I wouldn't worry about that. Mj affects everyone differently so I'm sure it affects all animals differenty also. Just my thoughts. Take care and be safe.

:ignore: :ignore: :ignore: :ignore: :ignore:
Edward F. Domino (1971)
NEUROPSYCHOPHARMACOLOGIC STUDIES OF MARIJUANA: SOME SYNTHETIC AND NATURAL THC DERIVATIVES IN ANIMALS

27 years ago I'm sure they had a real in depth study. I know the chocolate thing but this cat is a stray and rips open our trash to eat anything and everything he can - this isnt your average pet store cat.

yea chocolate is bad for animals. alot of pets even will puke it back up. i know from experience my animals love to get high. can't smoke around them. however cats love marijuana for what ever reasons. 2 friends of mine had cats and one would drink the bong water out of the gravity bong. the other one would come out of nowhere (outside cat) and try to inhale the smoke, he would jump from person to person until we gave him a a little dose

He didn't feed it to the cat, he just told us the (hilariously) funny story.
I would never feed it to my cat, but if an accident happened and it turned out like this I'd probably tell it too.:yay:

Beer_Guy said:
He didn't feed it to the cat, he just told us the (hilariously) funny story.
I would never feed it to my cat, but if an accident happened and it turned out like this I'd probably tell it too.:yay:

Yes, exactly.

The semi-wild cat got onto the counter and retreived the brownies himself. Normally cats don't get on the counter, so it was thought to be a safe place to keep food items.

I could understand folks being upset if the brownies were purposely given. The original poster is aware of the dangers of chocolate and animals, and will probably stop leaving anything edible on his counters anymore....:p

Carry on guys.

Latest posts

Back