My 2023 crop,

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garybo667

Reaction score
Is it because I'm stoned, or has this thread been not been used since may of 2005....anyway here are my babies.

Attachments

• 1 - Copy.jpg
    1 - Copy.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 2 - Copy.jpg
    2 - Copy.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 6 - Copy.jpg
    6 - Copy.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 8 - Copy.jpg
    8 - Copy.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 0
  • closeup.jpg
    closeup.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 0
For those of you that don't know this, grow a few marigolds as a companion plant along with your herb plants. This will keep various pests away from your growing ladies.

The following data was cut from the internet and pasted here.

"Glasshouse whiteflies can decimate a crop. The greenhouse pests transmit viruses and snack on the plants’ leaves, resulting in secretions that hinder photosynthesis. It’s lore among gardeners that planting marigolds alongside tomatoes protects the plants from glasshouse whiteflies, but until now, no one knew how the flowers worked their magic. In search of the answer, Niall J. A. Conboy and researchers at Newcastle University studied the volatile compounds given off by marigolds. Among those is (+)-limonene, a terpene that the pests find repugnant (PLOS One 2019, DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0213071). The researchers placed air-freshener-like dispensers loaded with (+)-limonene among tomato plants and found that these deterred glasshouse whiteflies more effectively than marigolds. Inexpensive (+)-limonene is a major component of citrus peels, so it could be a green option for pest control. “Most pesticides are sprayed onto the crops,” Conboy explains. “This doesn’t only kill the pest that is targeted, it kills absolutely everything, including the natural enemies of the pest.” Next, the team plans to explore plants that deter two other tomato pests, spider mites and thrips."

Besides the above, marigolds will keep worms off your plants as well.

marigold.jpg

Happy growing and don't forget to all sometime.

Latest posts

Back