My Growbox has been Built YaY !!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

Kupunakane

Hello my friends, and a particular howdy to Stoney, RatherBBurnin, The StickyIcky, and Mutt not to mention bombbudpuffa: Thanks guys for the encouragement and the thoughts that I needed to complete my growbox. I think I just built a free standing walk in closet. Ha- Ha man this thing is huge.
But then the size begins to make sense, and now I can see why I am glad I listened to ya all. You guys would have to know my situation medically if you really want to understand my motivation in this, anyways check this puppy out:View attachment RES01035.JPGView attachment RES01040.JPGView attachment RES01041.JPG

Now the question is do I white paint, use mirrored mylar or use foil ??? would love you guy's opinions and anyone elses for that matter.

smoke in peace
KingKahuuna

As far as I'm concerned, foil is a no no unless you're a trailer park boy.
Between paint/mylar, I'd chose mylar.. partially because I'm messy when I paint, mostly because it's the best reflect material you can get. Where I'm from, you can only buy mylar in 25 or 50 foot rolls, so if you decide on mylar, see if you can talk the clerk into letting you buy only what you'll use.

Can't wait to see what kind of door handles you pick! ;)

Oh man! That thing is perfect. You did a great job from start to finish! Most people tend to go with the Mylar. But, I think it wouldn't be a problem to go with white paint and you could also paint the outside. Yeah, thats exactly what I was talking about with the doors. I'd like to have me one of those. :D

Yeppers, I'm glad to be over the major work part of it cause for a few in there all I was thinking was this thing is just gonna make me hump-hump and hump. The dimentions are true, and yeah Bubby, the handles need to reflect in some small degree what I'm doing. I'm sure to come up with something. Hey StickyIcky you wouldn't believe the amount of room this thing takes up though, I'm almost thinking of moving into it and sell the house Ha-Ha. The double doors are going to be nice, but believe it or not I came that close to using a single door, bad move potential. Glad I listened to your comment about a good box. I'm thinking try the white paint, and worse case scenario is I lay the mylar over it. but still open on the idea. I'm gonna see what others think too.
Yo Runby, thanks for the compliment my friend, but really credit needs to go out to some of the guys who listened to my ideas and then gave their thoughts based on experience, glad I listened. Gives me the idea when I start my grow I'm gonna follow the old adage, "twice the listening, and once the talking ya know ?
smoke in peace
KingKahuuna

Man, you need to take credit for that. That is a sure enough nice piece of craftsmanship. It looks like you did things the right way and you are definitely good with your hands. Wanna come over and help me out? :D Yeah, your right about the paint, if you paint and dont like the results just mylar over it. Good luck with whatever you decide, bro.

Sometimes,
It's nice to hear a compliment, thanks guys !!!, today I paint my brains out, decided to use a outdoor latex instead of an oil base, I don't need fumes around my plants, and speaking of plants soon- real soon.
smoke in peace
KingKahuuna

Looks great KK. Can't wait to see the final product filled with frosty ladies. ;)

Forget the Paint...

Just buy the mylar.. paint is only marginally cheaper then the mylar..and the mylar is well worth the money... you already went to the trouble to make a sick looking grow box.. dont cheap out now...

Do you have intake and exhaust fans????? intake cold air at the bottom.. exhaust near the top... you can use just normal bathroom fans.. or you can get inline duct fans, all this stuff you can get at home depot...

How about locks? Are you gonna put a padlock on her? Just in case you have nosy company... :angrywife:

A Lock doth not a barrier make, or that's for honest people. I am going to lock it cause I have a daughter that doesn't need to go in there, and though she is very intelligent, and curious, I don't want her having a big looming question mark in her head, The world is rough enough for her to learn about, and I would still like to protect her as long as I can you know ? At this point the box is for all my expensive tools, even the electrical only says light to see to her.
smoke in peace
KingKahuuna

It's looking great KingK. White paint works almost as well as mylar for reflectivity and is way easier to replace/repair if you whack a spot.

The paint needs to be FLAT white. I use BEHR Premium Plus "Ultra Pure White" No#1050.

My plants actually grow taller next to the walls because of the additional light reflection.

The difference between Mylar and paint is negligible in terms of reflectivity. The actual numbers are here on the site. I know I posted them at least once.

The DIY hydro system will work awesome in that grow space man.

Great job!!!

I recommend going with mylar. Instead of buying the rolls from hydro shops for a lot of money, I suggest buying some space/emergency blankets. They cost like $2 and are pretty big. Get yourself like 5 of those and you should be able to completely cover the inside from top to bottom with the blankets. They reflect around 90-95% of the light too which is great.

What kind of ventilation is that baby going to have? Have you thought about the types of fans and odor control?

Looks really damn nice dude. Big kudos on your handy work.

THIS POST IS NOW A "STICKY" IN THE "GROWROOM SETUP AND DESIGN" AREA. Please refer to it when needed.

HOW MUCH REFLECTIVITY DO DIFFERENT MATERIALS HAVE?

If you consider the total amount of light that hits your walls during a grow, it represents between 50% and 10% of available light, depending on plant height and the reflector used.

Of that reflected light, this is a chart showing what percentage of light is reflected by different materials.

If a flat white, high quality pure white paint is used, you can get as much as 93% reflectivity. The manufacturer can tell you the exact number for any given paint with one email.

Mylar that is undamaged and pristine will reflect at best, 95%. This 2% difference is negligible in plant applications.

Of course, this makes sense only if you use the proper white paint.

The advantage of paint is it's ease of replacement, and ease of use and care.

Keep in mind that all Mylars are not the same. Some Mylar, as shown by the below chart only reflect 90%. In that case, white paint would be superior.

Mylar vs White Paint.JPG

NICE BOX! I would go with Mylar, just because whjen you open that beautiful box up with your girls inside they would look amazing! But white paint would be good as well!

Very nice, I had to say that twice!

what was the approx cost in lumber to build that beauty anyway...

Hey Thanks Heaps Guys,
All the materials, wood, (1/2" cdx plywood + 2x4x8) hinges, and nails came out around $125.00 cheap for the years of turn around that I can get.
But I must admit that cutting the sheets of cdx that measured 4' x 8' x 1/2"
was a huge pain in the can, if you catch my drift.
After listening , studying and using a bit of common sense, my decision is to begin painting today. Here is why, I talked to a company rep that sells this reflective mylar in both 1mil, and 2 mil, all the way up to 6 mil. I Read the reflectivity charts on both. I already have 20 gallons of flat white latex so that talked to me, and the rep said that you really have to hang the mylar neatly to get the best reflectivity from it, and it allows heat to pass through it to be caught in the sandwiched section between wood and mylar. Now if you are restrained by budget then LaserKitten has it correct, The cost differences for the mirrored mylar verses space blankets is huge , but it's pretty much the same stuff ? go figuere. The space blankets are far more attainable and you wouldn't believe the winks I got when all I said was I wanted to build a solarium for my tomatoes, which I have done before. I tried looking at both home depot and menards and some nurseries/garden centers and you would think that no-one there had an education above the third grade, at least the ones I talked to. never heard of reflective , or mirrored mylar. So there it is, SIMPLE usually always works best.
As for odor control and fan, this is what I picked up, A bathroom fan that is a whisper model and rated at 50 cfm, got it for $13.00 and will adjust with comp fans as needed. My place is a quad lvl so I chose to vent on north side of the house from the second floor, I have watched many a cold morning to see which way the breeze is the most predominate, and who keeps their places all buttoned up through out the summer, (you know running their a/c all the time. I am comfy with the venting decisions and have even figuered out light timing as far as on and off times. I think for odor, I'm lost, I have no idea as to control of hot air that smells pungent. So suggestions will be more than welcome.
I am getting close to start up and man am I in a sweat, really can't wait to start dialing it all in, even got my water meter probe Yayyyyy

smoke in peace
KingKahuuna

get two of those fans... or maybe three... im thinking of adding a third one to just blow air at my bulb.. to try and get the bulb as close as possible without burning.. but one intake.. one exhaust minimum..

Latest posts

Back