my seedlings all died .....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeepRoots

Reaction score
can some one help me with the abc's of growing? i've been looking for months now and every thing i've trird i never got past the seedling. i think i'm missing something, I know you've heard this before but help!

:48:

I've had that happen when my soil has been too "hot"---i.e., too many nutrients for the young plants to handle. Miracle Gro and many other soils can cause this problem. So can bad water (too many dissolved solids, bad pH either direction...etc). Light, temperature, humidity are places i'd investigate next if it's not the soil or the water...

I agree with the other posts here that it is really hard to offer a diagnosis without more information, like: soil type, lights, temp, watering.

But from my experience the most frequent cause of SIDS [sudden infant death syndrome] for mj seedlings is what is euphemistically referred to as "damping off" diseases. These are actually a collection of nasty parasitic fungi that go after seedlings [and cuttings, even established plants], in particular, pythium and rhizoctonia.

There are a couple of good preventive measures that you can take.

First, use sterile media for the soil for seedlings, like vermiculite, perlite, or a mixture of these. When the first true leaves show, you can start on mild nutrients, then when second or third set shows, you can move your seedlings to an organic soil. If you plant the seedlings in soil to start, you can drench the soil with a 10% clorox solution for 20 minutes, then drench a couple of times with clean water, then plant.

Second, these damping off fungi thrive in cool moist environments and often take hold as a result of over-watering. So, make sure the grow area stays around 70 degF, and make sure you only water just when the surface of the soil starts to dry.

Finally, you could keep the soil slightly at the low pH side, like around 5.5 to 6.0. These fungi do not like even slightly acidic soil. Know the pH of your tap water. But in the case of seedlings, why not splurge on distilled water. You can then add about 1 tbsp of vinegar to the gallon, thereby knowing that you are maintaining a low pH during that critical first few weeks.

Also, keep the grow area very clean. Don't enter wearing shoes that have been outside, keep pets and kids, and adults for that matter out of the grow area as much as possible...they are all fungal disease vectors.

And of course...pray.

VF

DeepRoots said:
can some one help me with the abc's of growing? i've been looking for months now and every thing i've trird i never got past the seedling. i think i'm missing something, I know you've heard this before but help!

If using soil, get one that is nute free. Start a very mild feeding after 2-3 weeks as long as the plant is progressing well. I have never fed a plant before 2 weeks in soil.

i agree with most of whats been said.use some good soil,like ffof and give no nutes for 2-3 weeks after putting into soil.water only and keep them a good distance from HID lights.i prefer cfls for my babies until i flip the switch

Well for starts I did alot of reading up and the info i got only ever got me skinny little twig-like sprouts. i did more reading here and found out that I have an ULTRA-green thumb. apparently of the 12 seeds I started only one didn't greminate. Secondly the soil I used was fertalized and enriched, I think it was scotts 5-10-5 potting soil. and when it came to watering, I had them growing in a 2 liter green 7-up bottle with a removable top so it was a mini green house.

I guess after reading THESE threads I was killing them from the very start of their little sprout, I was a bad green house man. It was amazing that they all stayed alive for 6 weeks, but as a sprout.

I hope with the amount of info here I can be fruitful with my new little darlings. I also thank you on the replys, your help is a joy.

Thank you, and if you think there are any other good threads to look at that would help me or are just good reads for info then send them to me.

thank you
:48: :48:

Latest posts

Back