Need advice on this potential grow space - too big? (sketch attached)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spuddzrmeandyou

Reaction score
I have an unused (unfinished) walk in shower that I want to convert to a grow box. This space measures 40" wide x 48" deep x 8'-10" height.
I am planning on a modest grow, perhaps 2 or 3 plants to start off with, NL X BB, using 400W MH/HPS.

My question is, can I just setup in this space, or is it too large and I should build a smaller box within this area? It seems with the higher ceiling the heat would have somewhere to go, could I possibly get by without a cool tube on the light? (besides perhaps just a small fan blowing on it)? The ambient temps in this area are around 65-68.

I thought I could build a simple panel/door and hinge it to the outside, cut a hole for air flow in and rig up an exhaust fan at the top of the door for exhaust (see diagram) for general air flow. Have to make sure its light tight. I haven't figured out what to do about smell. I am not concerned about "stealth" as this is a legal med grow. But I don't want the wife screaming at me about the stench!

I am prepared to build a box if I have to, but this shower just seemed so ready made, seems like there should be a way to make it work.

Thanks for any help!

IMG_0626.jpg

looks ok to me... is there such thing as too big??

if your concerned about height, just put your lights on a pulley system...

otherwise, just fill er up with plants... woo!

The space looks great..........................:aok:

You may wana think about using a 6oo / 1000 mh/hps

If you could mount your exhaust at or near ceiling height, that for sure will help with the temps.........

A carbon filter can be connected to this extractor and again will help with any unwanted scents.........

bud.uncle said:
The space looks great..........................:aok:

You may wana think about using a 6oo / 1000 mh/hps

If you could mount your exhaust at or near ceiling height, that for sure will help with the temps.........

A carbon filter can be connected to this extractor and again will help with any unwanted scents.........

Thanks BudUncle - Is light requirement driven by the space W x L, and not by the number of plants you grow? I was trying to keep the lighting to a minimum to reduce heat (although maybe a 600 wouldn't put out much more than a 1000?), and also to keep elec costs down. But I don't want to get into this and then down the road wished I had bought a larger light either!:cry:

spuddzrmeandyou said:
Thanks BudUncle - Is light requirement driven by the space W x L, and not by the number of plants you grow? I was trying to keep the lighting to a minimum to reduce heat (although maybe a 600 wouldn't put out much more than a 1000?), and also to keep elec costs down. But I don't want to get into this and then down the road wished I had bought a larger light either!:cry:

Lighting need are figured by the sq ft--number of plants has nothing to do with lighting. What you are striving for is 5000+ lumens per sq ft. You have 13.3 sq ft, so you are looking at 66500 lumens. A 400 puts out about 50000-55000 lumens, a 600W about 90000 lumens. A 1000W HPS will put out quite a bit more heat than a 600W. I would recommend going with the 600W. This is more than adequate for your space--you will get killer lumens. Then if you decide on a larger space, you have the light to go to about 18 sq ft.

I think you have a good working plan. Ventilation is almost a trial and error thing. I would say that in that space, you are going to want to consider a cool tube or other air cooled reflector. It just makes keeping your temps under sontrol so much easier.

The Hemp Goddess said:
Lighting need are figured by the sq ft--number of plants has nothing to do with lighting. What you are striving for is 5000+ lumens per sq ft. You have 13.3 sq ft, so you are looking at 66500 lumens. A 400 puts out about 50000-55000 lumens, a 600W about 90000 lumens. A 1000W HPS will put out quite a bit more heat than a 600W. I would recommend going with the 600W. This is more than adequate for your space--you will get killer lumens. Then if you decide on a larger space, you have the light to go to about 18 sq ft.

I think you have a good working plan. Ventilation is almost a trial and error thing. I would say that in that space, you are going to want to consider a cool tube or other air cooled reflector. It just makes keeping your temps under sontrol so much easier.

Hemp Goddess, that is great advice, thanks so much!

Latest posts

Back