need some advice please :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TOMMYCHONG89

Reaction score
hey guys just got home from the family's and noticed i have 2 plants both with the same symptoms, not sure if this is a sign of lockout or a deficiency, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_1952[1].JPG

IMG_1953[1].JPG

Is the same plants that have been growing in MG soil? If they are still in that soil, I would transplant them into better soil (if possible). If not then I would say to flush the piss out of them (literally). I say that because on my last grow I had plants that were looking like that and the problem was toxic chemical build up. I flushed them well and started over with fresh nutrients and they got better.

However, that could also be a calcium deficiency that is coming from an imballance in nutes and or an imballance in soil PH. Are you able to check the PH in the soil?

I agree, flush it, then add balanced pH nutrients.

Keep an eye on those leaves to see if it gets worse; it shouldn't.

The new growth should look healthy. I'm sure they'll recover. :)

For future grows, I recommend mixing a custom soil of bat guanos, filler, and lime.

Goodluck!

the runoff of my last watering was around 6.2, i have already flushed these plants in the last week with r/o water, im currently using jobes organics for tomato plants 2-4-5 because the nutrients are water soluble and readily available for plants, will the spots on my leafs disappear if i correct the imbalance of nutrients?

and i cant transplant im already in 5 gal buckets :/ any bigger and i wouldnt be able to fit them all in my 3x7 room.

No, the spots will always be there, but don't worry they won't hold it against ya ;)

I'd recommend a nutrient closer to 1-1-1, but if you go easy, that might work too (not sure). The nutrient ratio may have been the original problem; it's meant for flowering.

While the N-P-K isn't bad for flowering mj, I wouldn't be using Job's for tomatoes unless I was growing tomatoes. Is there a reason that you are not using nutes formulated for MJ?

yeah i don't have the cash to buy nutes for mj, and also i am in flower now, half way through, so would these nutrients suffice? sorry i started this grow before i realized there was this much info online. my leafs are beginning to turn yellow now and are dying off? i think im going to restart :/ i think my biggest problem is my soil isnt draining properly causing my ph to constantly be low, which i think is causing nutrient lockout, but i may be wrong?

TOMMYCHONG89 said:
im currently using jobes organics for tomato plants 2-4-5 because the nutrients are water soluble and readily available for plants, will the spots on my leafs disappear if i correct the imbalance of nutrients?

Does that Jobes contain calcium? if not thats your problem.

Your spotted leaves will not recover but the new growth will look good.

Wheres your water supplied from - city? bottled? etc.?

yes there is calcium in the nutrients, and my water is r/o from walmart, tested at roughly 7 ph 20 ppm alkalinity.

I mentioned the water because that looks close to chemical burn in my experience - chlorine or chloromite in the city water and/or pH buffers etc. Regardless - that kind of response appears indicative of toxicity of some sort - like HushPuppy mentioned.

I've surely been incorrect before however and in this case if I am - your issue is likely calcium as Growdude implied. When we flush plants for what-ever reason, one of the first nutrients to wash away is calcium. As we know, water consists of 2 hydrogen ions and one oxygen molecule (H2O). Hydrogen naturally will replace some important minerals such as magnesium, calcium, phosphorus and potassium. In the majority of standard mediums, water molecules combine with the available carbon dioxide forming a weak acid, known as Carbonic acid (H2CO3). This weak acid reacts to it’s environment by ionizing or slowly separating and binding with other elements of the medium. When carbonic acid (H2CO3) contacts calcium it releases it’s secondary hydrogen ion and carbon ion. This hydrogen replaces the calcium particles in the medium first. The now released calcium binds with the carbon to form calcium carbonate. Calcium carbonate is soluble and leaches from the medium. All of these reactions slowly acidify the medium. After calcium, alkaline elements like magnesium become soluble and can leach as well.

After flushing midway through a cycle its important to replace minerals that could (and will) be washed out. A mild dose of (chelated) cal/mag may help. Those spots are permanent, but production should not be too effected.

Good luck

Hmm, given that he has already flushed the medium, and this spotting looks fairly recent, it very well could be the loss of calcium. If the spots had started before the flush then I would bet toxicity.

TC; not knocking dude, I know its tough starting out trying to get a grow going with low cash flow(I know too well), but the problem is all of the prenuted and fert sticks and pretty much anything that is sold at walmart, lowes, HD, for the flower beds is not good for MJ(as you are now figuring out). You will have to muddle through to the end and then hold off starting another one until you can get all your ducks walking straight.

If the spots started after you flushed then go to the garden store and get some garden lime (dolomite lime) and mix 2tsp in 1 gallon of water for the next time you water. If the problem is calcium loss that will correct it and will buffer the PH of the soil. If you have the money then also get some Espoma's Garden Tone, yank the tomato spikes, and sprinkle a couple good handfulls of garden tone on the top of the soil and water it in each time you water.

If you want some really great soil for growing in that is the easiest on the pocket then it is best to go organic and make your own soil so that you don't have to buy nutrients. You can also make nutrient teas that will help the plants along without having to spend a lot of money. :)

Latest posts

Back