Oxygenation

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vespasian

callawave
Reaction score
Hi all.
Looking around at on-line hydro shops, I notice they always offer air stones and a pump for aerating your nute tank. BUT!
I would recommend a small aquarium power-head rather than an air pump and here’s why.
Most air pumps wind up buzzing or rattling due to the dust and dirt being constantly sucked in. (mine sometimes walk across the shelf)
Also the bubbles produce very little oxygen themselves as they rise. Nearly all oxygen is obtained through the surface movement of the liquid. A power-head will move a lot more water more efficiently, they’ll also help cool your tank better in hot spells, keep your nutes well mixed as well as being silent.
This comes from a newbie grower, but a lifetime reefkeeper. :ciao:

I have found that most air pumps do not make mutch noise at all. When it comes to grow rooms most of the noise issues are from fans and exhaust.
I do agree with your points about air pumps and the ability of air stones to oxygenate water, however you do not need to put a jet engine on a pinto to make it go 30 miles per hour..... In other words your res doesn't need to be rolling like a hot tub, it just needs to keep water moving and the nutes suspended in the solution. Especially in a DWC system, most of the oxygen your roots need comes from what it absorbs above the water line. A $10 dual outlet air pump and two air stones get the job done just fine even in a res up to 15-20 gallons.

NYC_Diesel x Jack_Herer said:
A $10 dual outlet air pump and two air stones get the job done just fine even in a res up to 15-20 gallons.
ive allways wondered this
i have a single oulet either 15 or 30 gal at the start i was gonna use it in a 20 gal rez but didnt and swtiched to 5 gal buckets but now im reveggin a plant and am thinking of splitting the pump with 2 stones if its a30 gal air pump would this be enough oxygen in the 20 gals of water?
i wanna switch it so the roots have room to grow for the last 2-3 weeks of flower because thats where im at or is it to late? sorry for the ramble

Latest posts

Back