Paper Sack Pollination

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YYZ Skinhead

RIP Neil Peart 9/12/1952 -- 1/7/2020
Reaction score
Do you know to what I am referring? Shake the pollen out into a closed uncoated paper sack, tie it around the branch you want to pollinate, shake to pollinate, then water spray the sack so it won't spread the pollen. Would this risk introducing too much moisture into the pollinated bud?

ADDENDUM: I shan't delete this thread after all because I already have gotten some good advice. Keep it coming, MP.

uh oh here come the thread deletion nazi's ...lol....:bolt:

:peace:

My original reply to 7ge was quite cruel, because I didn't know the context (that people were complaining about their threads being deleted). Sorry for jumping to conclusions, 7ge. I hope we meet someday so I can pass you a fat, purple, STINKY indica apology bud. :smoke1: :vap_bong__emoticon:

no I just meant the whole kufuffle with everyone else not you YYZ, and them b i t c h i n g about thread deletion

Much love YYZ. I'm here lurkin and takin your idea in for pollination...

YYZ, I used a zip lock bag and put it on a female branch once. It worked. I got it a little more places then just the one branch, but it wasn't terrible.

start and delete away my dear.

7greeneyes said:
no I just meant the whole kufuffle with everyone else not you YYZ, and them b i t c h i n g about thread deletion

Much love YYZ. I'm here lurkin and takin your idea in for pollination...
I am so sorry for assuming that you were referring to me and for sending you that whiney PM about it. You know my respect for you is in the stratosphere, especially because we have benzos and debilitating disabiities (I couldn't find a non-alliterative phrase) in common. I didn't even know people were kvetching about deleted threads. :confused2:

Again, apologies to you for jumping to conclusions. I hate humans as a species, but you and a lot of the folks on this site are pretty damn cool. :48:

what Rose said.

:yeahthat:

thats the technique I've heard that's the most successful for controlled pollination.

you know me YYZ, the consumate weisenheimer :p

Not sure if you would need to spray the bag y.

I would just bend the branch over and slide the bag off after turning the fans off.

Delete all you want..lol.

Haven't heard of the technique, I'll be watching this thread. :D

Rosebud said:
YYZ, I used a zip lock bag and put it on a female branch once. It worked. I got it a little more places then just the one branch, but it wasn't terrible.

start and delete away my dear.
That was another of the things about which I was worried because individual Cannabis pollen grains are nearly microscopic. What scares me is sneezing or tripping or something and seeing a big yellow cloud explode out of the sack.

I have read about this fer years but have never actually met anyone who has pollinated this way. It seems slightly "if it works, hooray! if something goes awry, POOF! pollen explosion" to me.

pcduck said:
Not sure if you would need to spray the bag y.

I would just bend the branch over and slide the bag off after turning the fans off.
That is sort of what I used to do with the paintbrush (at least I think it was a paintbrush), isolate the branch and paint into the bud. Now I can't remember in which books I read about the "sack the branch" method. :doh:

Well, I have a few Satori vegging (still small), but I have decided that I am going to have a go at Satori seeds. I think Rosebud is planning on making Satori seeds, too. She had such a success with her Nurse Larry. I may be just for sticking a male and a female together and letting them do their thing, but I am looking at all breeding methods.

I don't know if this will fit into anyones plans or space or what what, but it works VERY well for a small amount of seeds, like 25-40. Doesn't interfere with any smoke either.

What I do is pollinate the pre flowers on 5-10 small clones (5-7" tall). You get 2 good seeds/pre flower. I get next to zero white or immature seeds with pre flowers.

The beautiful thing is, the seeds will mature quite well no matter the light cycle or source. I just do them now in the veg area under T-5's, 18/6. I have also done in with the clones under T-12's and outside in full sun. I noticed no difference in seed quality.

I do pollinate outside. The clones are usually in party cups and the male in something larger. When he's ready to pop, I just cluster the party cups around the male and leave them for a day or 2. If the male is spewing, an hour will do the trick. The pistils will start to wither in less than an hour after fertilization and is easy to check. The male is then chopped and the clones brought back inside.

I'll cut the clones 5 weeks later and let dry in a paper bag for a couple of weeks to really dry and then separate the seeds out. Then in a small airtight bottle and a little dry rice in the veg crisper of the fridge for a month or longer, till I'm ready to pop them.

This works really well for the cubing project I have going on since right now all I look for is male plants to cross back to clones of the same mother plant.

I'm drying the F3 cross right now and MIGHT be able to get the F4 cross done before it freezes. If not, next spring. Need to get some clones going.

Wet

Whoa, WD. That there is pure genius. I had no idea that seeds would grow regardless of photoperiod (aside from auto seeds, which I have never grown/produced).

P.S. Green mojo.

YYZ Skinhead said:
Whoa, WD. That there is pure genius. I had no idea that seeds would grow regardless of photoperiod (aside from auto seeds, which I have never grown/produced).

P.S. Green mojo.

I didn't either. Was sort of an experiment in response to a question AFA both photoperiod and light intensity on seed development.

It was in Sept, so the photoperiod was right and I had extra clones. So, I left 1/2 outside in full sun and +-12/12 and brought the others in under my cloning lights. T-12's @ 18/6. I didn't have the T-5's yet.

I was amazed that the ones under the weak T-12's and 18/6 were identical to the ones outside with full sun and 12/12, AFA development, size, germination and so on. Of course, the germination was checked later, but the two batches were kept separate to check any differences. There was none that I could spot.

It was an eye opener to be sure.

Wet

I just gotta smack you with a pebble wetdog, thats very interesting regarding the photoperiods and seed production.

7greeneyes said:
I just gotta smack you with a pebble wetdog, thats very interesting regarding the photoperiods and seed production.
I'd give WD double green mojo if I could. 20-odd years of reading grow books and never before read of that process. :cool2:

7greeneyes said:

Thanks! All this time I've been calling them CHICLETS :hubba:

I'd never heard of the process either. It was more like that guy in ancient Egypt that left a bowl of barley outside that got rained on and turned into beer.:holysheep:

It wasn't a total accident, but the indoor results were a total surprise. I didn't expect any viable seeds from the T-12's and 18/6.

Now, the only hassle (as it were), is the 12/12 to get the males to produce.;)

Wet

Latest posts

Back