Passive Hydro with Diatomite (Diatomaceous Earth) Questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

entropy82

Reaction score
Basically, lady that grows orchids taught me about a passive hydro system using Diatomaceous Earth (DE). Its similar to many of the "bucket" methods with a hole drilled in the bucket to make a rez. She says the DE allows much greater wicking than using soil, vermiculite, perlite, coir, etc. because of its properties and that it adds micro nutrients at a very slow rate and can be reused. The wicking is what's important though. It allows the plant to uptake nutrients at greater quantities, faster, consistently and constantly. Apparently this all makes a huge difference in the orchid world.

So this all sounds great and all and wondering why this can't be done for trees? Does anyone have experience with this?

The main issues I think would be nutrient levels and flushing. I would love to hear just about anybodies 2 cents on this one. :)

I really don't know about the system you are speaking about but DWC is easy to do. What is needed Rubbermaid or 5-Gallon Bucket, air stone, air pump, nutes and testers to check you water.

I've been doing dwc for about 3 yrs. the advantage over this method is that there is no need for air pumps. less electricity, less noise, less heat, less fluctuation of ph, less nutrient lock out i suppose.

look up hempy's buckets, krusty Bucket (kfb?), etc. they are all essentially 5 gal buckets with a hole drilled 3" from the bottom. this allows the bucket to have 3" of water always. u water from the top, some will flush out the hole in the bucket, while some will stay in it. the advantages are listed. just checked- missing three advantages: insecticide, fungicide and more forgiving if left unwatered (because there's a ton of moisture to be released). there. just ron popeil " set it and forget". i split my time at places 250 mi. apart, i need something that can last a week, possibly two.
what i don't understand about the bucket style is why there's a rez if the substrate is unable to wick water, as in the case of vermiculite, perlite, hydroton. the exception would be coir.

think hempy's bucket but all DE.

anyone do this?

Every time I let D E get wet it would set up concrete hard almost. How would you keep it from harding up and blocking air movement in the root zone?

i think the major advantage to DE is the massive amount of tiny,porous air pockets and also the larger ones from the basic shape that allow for a surprisingly high amount of air and water exchange. DE is so porous it floats until saturated with water. its claimed to absorb as much as 150% of its own weight's worth of water. in my personal experiments i've found it to absorb about 70% of its weights worth.

as for capillary action, yes soil has it to but there is far more hydraulic movement in DE due to larger pores, uniformity and lack of compaction, all of which are issues you have to deal with when using soil.

micronutes are def more available in soil but good organics take care of it. its not an issue like ph fluctuations-nute lockout etc which would hopefully not have to be dealt with the DE Bucket (bka DEB). yeah, i'm naming it DEB i've just decided. "she's a lady, oh oh oh"...

Anyone with experience using DEB? lol

i think your using powdered DE ozzy. I'm using DE that hasn't been crushed the whole way like yours. think 1/4" to 1" pieces of broken chalk. just like you used in school but not so white.

horticulture grade- it must be mined from fresh water, NOT salt water as it will prove deadly to your plants. Its mined all around the world, probably in your back yard. I get mine from an Australian company that appears to be imported into canadia now that i'm looking at the site. check it out.

hXXp://www.diatomitecanada.com/horticultural-diatomaceous-earth.htm

cheers.

yes ph neutral. i ive picked out some old seeds to test it on, maybe some clones later depending. 3 straw cough, 3 nyc diesel and 4 randoms seeds for now. i think this will turn into a journal.

Latest posts

Back