Planning a new rose garden? Any Advice.........

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wardeworth

Reaction score
I am going to venture into the world of rose gardening in the spring and I was hoping for some advice. The first thing I'm going to do is get my soil tested and put a lot of work/money into it, as a vegetable and fruit gardener I am a firm believer in working the dirt.
I've been waffling a bit on the exact roses that I will plant and I was hoping for advice from people who have actually grown them. I will be planting one climber, six shrubs, and six standard trees, with a sunset color theme.
Here are the roses I've chosen, please tell me if you think they are good or if you think I should plant something else instead.
Climber: Autumn Sunset
Shrubs: Midas Touch, Joseph's Coat (I know it's a climber but I must have it and I'm willing to prune/train,) Strike it Rich, Fragrant Cloud, Chris Evert, Legends.
Trees: Julia Child, Radiant Perfume (I've read lots of bad news about this one, is there a good replacement?) Just Joey, Sunstruck, Dream Come True, Bella'roma.

I did not look up the choices. Without knowing the growing zone and humidity conditions, there is no way to give advise.

Humidity causes black spot and fungus. Cold weather requires special treatment in winter unless you get the correct roses.

Where ever you live, get roses on their own root stock. If they do not specify they are on their own root stock you don't want them. That is a good place to start.

You don't want repeat bloom, you want continuous bloom if you have a small city type yard.

You want to check websites for other persons input on blackspot for the rose you choose. Everyone advertises black spot resistant...that does not mean it is so and again, it is contingent on your growing conditions.

My favorites? Theresa Bugnet, Morden Blush, any of the Fairy polyenthura's, and a beautiful yellow rugosa bush I have to look up as I forgot the name...it's a zone 4 I believe.

Because I live in the cold I go a minimum of 1 zone colder than my growing zone so I don't have to protect them in winter. Rose Trees and Climbers in the north should be half dug up, laid over and covered in dirt if they are not zoned properly.

Also test the ground to see how it holds water. Soil must drain properly ...they absolutely do not like soggy roots .

I've pretty much given up on roses because of Black Spot. But I wish you the best of luck. Growing roses can become addictive.

A few black spot proof roses (based on experience) but in Northern Climates...do not know how they would do in Florida or like where it is very very humid.

The Fairy, Lovely Fairy or any of the Fairy line (Polyantha). Continual bloom from June through first freeze with masses of blooms all season. No smell though.

Rugosa Topaz Jewel. Yellow repeat blooming bush good to fair fragrance.

John Cabot and William Baffin climbers (these are ramblers...I call them Audrey 1 and Audrey 2).

Quadra and New Dawn climbers. Fragrant, not ramblers so controllable. New Dawn is single petal flower, Quadra is New Dawn bred with double petal flowers.

ive been growing 2 miniatures, and a perfume. i was planning on veging them hard for spring, but im keeping in a planter and inside.

here is a good link for roses, and any, plants.

Fall is the best time to make plans and prepare the area for rose garden. First dig up the soils in the proposed area with a shovel and go at least eighteen inches deep. After one week you can move on with preparation rose bed.

I have a Fragrant Cloud now, and have had Joseph's Coat and Just Joey before. All are pretty easy to deal with, and we enjoyed / are enjoying all of them. Fragrant Cloud is one of my wife's favorites.

Black spot is not just caused by humidity - it's also exacerbated by a lack of air flow. Just make sure you have picked a spot where enough air can circulate in between and through the plants, just like dope plants - and don't water in the evening so the leaves won't be wet at night. Try not to get the leaves wet at all when you water. I live down south where it's very humid, and a little black spot just goes with the territory around here.

Mardi Gras, Brandy, Mr. Lincoln,and Paprika are some of my favorites.

Dig the holes BIG, and don't skimp on soil amendment, or clay cutter, as we call it down south. Milorganite is our silver bullet - it works great, and the roses love it.

Peace,

:icon_smile: key :icon_smile:

I dug a hole three times the rootmass chucked in some FFOF, sprinkled some great white, placed the plant, filled it in with more ffof. It's survived one winter so far. Course it was far from a cold winter here in the PNW.

Latest posts

Back