Probably a silly question..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Icex420

Smokaturkey
Reaction score
How logical would it be to grow under a 50 100 150watt halogen lightbulb coming out of a droplight i have hanging down? I really dont know what wattage the lamp is, its just a short orange electrical cord with a grip, an extra plug-in and the bulb. Is this a very expensive way to grow ? I know it cant be as efficent as a hps or a flouro either. Im just wondering how much more compared to a flouro of any wattage??

I feel extremely dumb when it comes to lights...

:confused:

there are a ton of great articles here about lighting. check the resources tab at the top of the screen. research research research....then smoke...then research some more!!

halogens are no good. cfl's; flouro's; metal hilide; high pressure sodium those are pretty much your choices. good luck!

ps RESEARCH!! :bong2:

Well what if it said on the box it had all colors of the spectrum?
=D

thanks for the quick replys.

Just replaced all with 4 13 watt cfl bulbs and 1 10 watt cfl bulb. It will have to do till i can get to the store for some more powerful bulbs.

thx guys.:)

everyone seems to be on the CFL band wagon,...i prefer tube type floros...better light distribution.. a home made light board can be built for under $100.. and that is for 12 40w T12's....thats what i use and it ROCKS !!!!
i am currently vegging 9 plants under it but could easily fit 12 ...

what do you think about the "grow lights" they sell at home depot, lowes etc.

the grow lights suck too.the ones i've seen anyway.get them too close and they will melt your plants and anything else close by.

the best floro combo IMHO is the ott-light/coolwhite for vegging...this is my second grow with those lights but the results are a little better this time because i'm doing hydro(did dirt 1st time)..7-8 days after sprouting and they have 5 nodes within 3/4"...the ott-lights can be bought from homedepot for $10 as well as any regular cool white tube for a dollar...i would buy three 4 lamp ballasts and mount them to a 38"x50" piece of plywood and mount the sockets to the other side and hang with small chain....i'll prolly never use anything else to veg with...

unless they make a T5 ott-light...those things rock !

PUFF MONKEY said:
unless they make a T5 ott-light...those things rock !

Gotta admit that T5's are very good for vegging, never have tried to flower with one, one of these days I'll finish my perpetual grow, then I'll bring the t5 into the flower room...let you know how that works out...

Peace...j.b.

i have never seen a ballist at home depo but they do have the bulbs i think.

Latest posts

Back