PROTECT STUDENTS FROM STRIP SEARCHES Imagine an America in which school officials

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

seattle420

PROTECT STUDENTS FROM STRIP SEARCHES

Imagine an America in which school officials could strip search every
student in their school based on the unsubstantiated tip that one of
them might have a joint. Congress is voting on a bill Tuesday or
Wednesday that could make these police state tactics more common.

We can stop Congress in its tracks, though. Call your representative
RIGHT NOW and tell them to vote against this dangerous bill.

If you don't know who your House representative is, simply call the
Capitol Switchboard at (202) 224-3121 and give them your address.
They'll connect you directly with your representative's office. When
you get a staffer on the phone, politely say something like:

"My name is [your name] and I live in [your city]. I'm calling to
urge [the congressman/the congresswoman] to vote against the Student
and Teacher Safety Act (HR 5295) when it comes to the floor this
week. This bill would allow schools and police to invasively search
large groups of innocent students based on the mere suspicion that
just one of them has drugs. It strips Americans of their 4th
Amendment rights. Please let me know how [the congressman/the
congresswoman] votes."

MORE INFORMATION

The Student Teacher Safety Act of 2006 (HR 5295) is a sloppily
written bill that would require any school receiving federal funding
(essentially every public school) to adopt policies allowing teachers
and school officials to conduct random, warrantless searches of every
student, at any time, for essentially any reason they want. All they
would have to do is say they suspect one of their students might be
carrying drugs, and then they could conduct a wide scale search of
every student in the building. These searches could be pat-downs, bag
searches, or strip searches depending on how far school
administrators wanted to go. Although courts would have the power to
overturn policies that went "too far", it could take years - possibly
decades - to safeguard the rights of students in every school.

Disconnecting searches from individualized suspicion is what led to
the Goose Creek scandal in 2003. That South Carolina city sent a
machine-gun toting SWAT team into a high school because the principal
suspected one of the students might be selling marijuana. 150
terrified students were handcuffed and forced to the floor at
gunpoint as drug dogs tore through their book bags. No drugs or guns
were ever found.

Searching students without individualized suspicion that they have
done something wrong fosters mistrust between adolescents and the
adults they should feel comfortable turning to when they do have
substance abuse problems. Treating groups of students as if they're
guilty until proven innocent sends them the wrong message about what
it means to be American citizens, and makes them less likely to seek
help and guidance when they need it.

The legislation is supported by senior House Republicans and the
National Education Association (NEA). It's opposed by the Drug
Policy Alliance, Students for Sensible Drug Policy, the ACLU, the
American Association of School Administrators, and the National
School Boards Association.

The bill wasn't voted on in committee and is being fast-tracked to
the floor under a procedure that requires a 2/3 vote to pass. This
means there's a chance we can defeat it on the House floor.

The offending text of the legislation (which is not officially public
yet) is as follows:

(a) In General- Each local educational agency shall have in effect
throughout the jurisdiction of the agency policies that ensure that a
search described in subsection (b) is deemed reasonable and
permissible.

(b) Searches Covered- A search referred to in subsection (a) is a
search by a full-time teacher or school official, acting on any
reasonable suspicion based on professional experience and judgment,
of any minor student on the grounds of any public school, if the
search is conducted to ensure that classrooms, school buildings,
school property and students remain free from the threat of all
weapons, dangerous materials, or illegal narcotics. The measures
used to conduct any search must be reasonably related to the search's
objectives, without being excessively intrusive in light of the
student's age, sex, and the nature of the offense.

Sincerely,

Bill Piper
Director, Office of National Affairs
Drug Policy Alliance
http://actioncenter.drugpolicy.org/ctt.asp?u=1876&l=130226

Dont live in the states, but would help out there if I could. Thats terrible

I am aware of the last post date on this thread. I am just pointing out how EFFED UP the system has become. If anyone hears about anything like this recently, PLEASE pm me so I can try to help make a change!

Students are FORCED to go to school. So no matter what, if they are present, any old arse can play a joke on them and pretend like they seriously heard that they had drugs. The person can politely apologize and the authority won't even know it was a joke.

Now, this has brought bullying and humiliation to a new level, and made it MORE INTENSE and MORE EASY!

Now, you can ruin someones rep as fast as you snap your fingers! Yay! NOT!

just wrote my congressman about that. Thanks for the headsup
back in highschool my teacher took me to the vice principle because she smelled weed on me. They made me empty my pockets, did some stupid trick to see if I would follow their finger with my eyes, walk in a straight line (lol *** right) and let me go.
Idiot wasn't smart enough to look in my backpack where I had like 2 zips right on top of my calculus book :holysheep:

If it only pertains to public scools I have very little issue with it.

Nevermind...yikes thats an old post

lol...thats pretty much how I feel. As dumb as I was at tha age I was always smart enough to not bring crap to school that could get me into trouble. As a minor you do not get the same rights and protections as an adult, and as hypocritical as it may be, I do not want my kid smoking pot in high school, let alone some kid bringing a weapon to school and possibly shooting my wife.

Get rid of the "Get-rich-quick-gangster-mob-wannabees and the glamourous lifestyle that is unatainable to them and perhaps we can stem the flow of violence in the schools.

Kids look up to some loser degenerate gun toting ***-hat and thats what they want to be.

Violence and poor social skills start at the home and should end at the home too.

Strip searches in school? Whatever stops the shootings.

Well, not saying that I was any "model student" either, but I remember that I never brought mj to school. And I never did it on school grounds or in the building.
Hell, would've been biting white knuckles all day-lol

One time I borrowed 2.00 off this guy.Told him I would have it next day-and yes I did-in pennies.I had it all wrapped up-and he said "thats okay" so I hand them off. English teacher spotted us-trip to the office-empty my pockets and explain to the asst. principal.

My friend did'nt even get in trouble for his pocketknife.

MJ should not be brought to school.

Heck, I always did it on the way to school-get rid of the evidence-lol

Gb

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you've got it all wrong.

This is about strip searches on the count of having a JOINT!

A JOINT GUYS NOT A GUN!

If there is a gun involved, the LEO would OBVIOUSLY get involved.

I just think that someone who has a joint because they have anxiety problems shouldn't be strip searched and arrested.

That could have been me buddy, not cool.

the OP is over two years old, so I am guessing nothing became of this bill... Organix, your reps are going to have a puzzled look on their face when they open your letter! :)

canibanol cannonball said:
drugs shouldn't be at school anyway. Took me 7 years of highschool to figure that out....

Took the scenic route huh? LoL j/k

DomsChron said:
I just think that someone who has a joint because they have anxiety problems shouldn't be strip searched and arrested.

That could have been me buddy, not cool.

Some adult moving about society no...some minor moving about a tax funded instutution yes.

mojosat said:
Some adult moving about society no...some minor moving about a tax funded instutution yes.

Ok, I am sorry, but I don't think you have thought this idea through whatsoever. If you consider yourself an American, get a copy of the constitution and READ IT. I don't care if an institution is tax-funded, they have NO RIGHT to strip search people for drugs.... Can you imagine being in high school, and having a 40 year old man make you get naked just cause he heard you might have a joint? The catholic church cant even keep its hands off little boys, we cant even keep high school teachers from BANGING their students (yes, females are just as guilty) and now you would argue for them to have the right to strip search anyone, for basically any reason? That is unforgivable... Like I said, READ THE CONSTITUTION.... there is NO reasonable justification for this...

Domschorm, Did you read the bill? First off it does include weapons and last time I checked guns were weapons...sure they make great noisemakers and door prizes but I am pretty sure being a weapon is their primary objective. Fadeux,there is also nothing about "strip searches" if you read it you will see that it specifically states, "The measures
used to conduct any search must be reasonably related to the search's
objectives, without being excessively intrusive (I think making a minor get naked on speculation would fall into this category) in light of the
student's age, sex, and the nature of the offense.", so there is no risk of being strip searched or even being searched just beacuse Sally told the principal that she thinks Stevie has some marijuana or Anthrax. No administrator or teacher in their right mind is going to risk the safety of the child or their career for that matter by unlawfully searching a student on heresay or speculation. What it means is that when a teacher smells reefer on a kid coming into her class or the principal sees some kids smoking a joint or threatning someone with a weapon when he is getting out of his car in the morning that the student can be detained untill someone who is qualified to conduct a search can be summoned. How is Catholic priests molesting alter boys figure into your analogy? I am not sure. As far as teachers having sex with students this just strengthens my argument. Teachers are not even allowed to detain or restrain students that are fighting anymore without being certified in some kind of civil restraint course. Therefore any educator that touches a student in any manner, sexual or otherwise that is unlawful will be guaranteed a pink slip and then some, as recent years have show us. Priests, well thats another story, but again irrelevant.

And again, minors are not protected by the Constitution or the Bill of Rights because they are NOT citizens, they are wards of citizens.

what does the bill have to do with anything? The original post is over 2 years old! I am solely going off of the original post, and your saying its a good thing. I would dive into it further, but after reading

"minors are not protected by the Constitution or the Bill of Rights because they are NOT citizens, they are wards of citizens."

If that is your way of thinking, I'll never convince you of anything. I assume you are a pot smoker, you are on a Marijuana Growing Website, and you are advocating ILLEGAL search and seizure...
You obviously need to put down the pipe and study a little bit more. It never surprises me that the people who are quickest to take others rights away are the same people who don't understand what those rights actually mean.

I have an MA in U.S. history and a little over a year of law school under my belt, I can pretty much guarantee you that I know the Constitution and the rights that it grants better than I know my own junk. I hate to be snippy but don't acuse me of not knowing what I am talking about because you happen to disagree with me. I do not believe in illegal search and seizure as the bill of rights forbids it, but again I am ADULT. I am not a junior high or high school student.

This has gotten too political and a bit to mean spirited for my taste though...so you win, I'm an idiot.

It's never about winning with me, I just like serious conversation. Also, I do think that "Bad Typists, Untie!" is pretty hilarious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back