PTSD & Our Troops.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SPEARCHUCKER

Leavin'ya Bowlegged
Reaction score
PTSD Therapy: Fantasy, Fiction & Fact

(Salem-News.com) - As many of my readers know, I have PTSD myself some 64 years after battle exposure in WWII. I am also a retired Medical School Professor of Physiology, Pharmacology and Toxicology.
Both backgrounds give me an avid interest in effective PTSD Therapy. I have also successfully treated maybe as many as 1000 PTSD Victim Veterans.
I was somewhat surprised when Vietnam Vets in my care told me that they found marijuana to be very effective against battle terrors and PTSD. Most were Infantry Veterans and they went through Hell before they got sent home.
I knew that very many of my WWII Vets had become alcoholics and many died of this. Back then it was considered sissified to complain about “battle fatigue” but it was OK to get drunk and pass out every night. The only Vets who had VA care were those in VA Psychiatric Hospitals and they were over medicated with barbiturates and powerful tranquilizers. Both turned them into mindless vegetables.
The Nam Vets seem to be the first to get presumed real PTSD treatment in large numbers. The powerful Chlorpromazines such as Thorazine were soon found to be unsatisfactory but the Valium-like anti-anxiety Benzodiazapine drugs were tried. They calmed and put patients to sleep but caused bad addictions.
This called for some new type of therapy. Some PTSD patients exhibit severe depression but this didn’t call for stimulating amphetamines which were also addictive. A new class of anti-depressants were presumed to work. The leading ones were Zoloft, Prozac, and Paxil followed by many others. I haven’t found or heard of anyone who felt they were satisfactory. The Tricyclics such as Elavil were tried. They also have bad adverse effects. Then came other newer anti-depressants and they were no better.
The anti-convulsants came next. Neurontin seems to be the most prominent. I took it myself for a few days. It was the WORST mind scrambling and stupefying event of my life.
Some thought anti-adrenaline drugs might work. They didn’t. Finally atypical anti-psychotics showed up. Who said PTSD victims were psychotic?
OA_show(1);
In the face of unsatisfactory pharmaceutical treatment several new therapies were dreamed up.
It seems that psychologists counseling and group therapy might work (not psychiatrists – they were too expensive). That didn’t work well either. PTSD Vets CANNOT talk about their demons. Cognitive Behavioral Therapy seems to be an offshoot of the above. It doesn’t seem to work either. Then came Virtual Reality Therapy exposing PTSD Victims to battle sounds, artillery, mortars, and heavy machine gun noises. Most of us PTSD Vets CANNOT tolerate that. Then came Art Therapy, Sculpture Therapy, Ecstasy Drug Therapy and Horse Riding Therapy – there are probably more.
As I said in the beginning my Nam PTSD Vets told me that cannabis/marijuana worked better than any pharmaceutical they were given. I have been given several of these medications myself and while taking themm I would NOT be able to write articles like this.
The Marijuana Clinic where I worked now has 65 thousand clients. I’ll bet at least 6 thousand, or 10%, are PTSD Battle Vets. I believe this because about one thousand of my 4 thousand patients were PTSD Vets.

Comment worth posting along with article.
From the article: The drug problem in Herrick's company was so intense that when Herrick tried to treat wounded soldiers in the wake of a firefight, he frequently found himself short of morphine. "The junkies in my company would raid my morphine whenever they couldn't get their heroin," Herrick explained. "No matter where I put itin my aid bag or in the front pocket of my fatigues or even if I tried to bury it in the bottom of the rucksackit'd always end up gone." Without morphine, Herrick says, he turned to marijuana to medicate the wounded. About a month after he arrived in Vietnam, Herrick's company was patrolling a rubber plantation outside Tay Ninh when it took small-arms fire from what turned out to be a band of Viet Cong. As the crackle of gunfire sounded in the distance, a soldier who had been in-country for only four days fell to the ground, shot through the shoulder. "This kid was 18 years old and scared s***less," said Herrick. "He was sobbing like a banshee. I had no morphine. So I went over to a guy I knew who had just scored and grabbed two joints and gave them to the kid. He fired one up." Herrick moved on to treat the other more badly wounded. Five minutes later, he returned to the kid, "and he was lying against a tree, joking like it was no big thing." Herrick said the firefight at Tay Ninh convinced him of marijuana's value as a painkiller and anxiety-suppressantat least in post-combat situations in which morphine was not available. "I made it a habit from that point on to always dispense marijuana," Herrick said. "I bought it with my own money. Whenever someone got shot, came out of shock and started to feel the pain, he'd usually start screaming. I would hand him a joint. Usually, he'd smoke it. If you got shot and weren't a smoker, you either became one or just shined it and lived with the pain."

Greetings,I have wanted to tell my doctors at the VA that "reefer" would be of great value in treating this condition. I also have shattered memories of certain times in the "suck", which I am sorry to say is a slang term for the valiant men and women of the United States Marine Corp. I have NOT been dx'ed with this condition. I do know that mj would help calm combative minds and let peeps work through this on their own terms. I have taken almost every drug you mentioned in your article and know they can be unpleasant. Keep fighting the good fight and THANK YOU for your efforts with veterans.

As it would happen, I got an appointment up at the VA in about 4 hours to see the shrink. I've been thru more than a few of the drugs mentioned, and can attest that MJ comes far closer to working than anything they've given me so far. And I don't have the withdrawal symptoms like I did on the Lorazepam.

Unfortunately, I live in a State that has not come out of the Dark Ages yet, as far as legalizing Medicinal MJ. I'm hoping that I can get my personal use of MJ entered into my medical records at the VA, with the results and comparisons to the pharmaceuticals documented. If I ever get busted, I might have some chance of beating it with a "medical necessity" defense.

Seems like the crap we put up with in the Nam, and the hassle we've gotten from the VA was just training for daily life these days. Wish me luck.

VERY TRUE, and I say that from personal experiance I to was used has a "lab rat" for MANY years, I have been given just about every med on the market for pain, anxiety, depression, and NOTHING worked for me, the only thing I got out of all the meds I was given by the doctor in 20 + years was VERY bad sides.

I am here, and alive today typing this because I tried mj and it WORKS for me, NO addiction, NO horrible sides, NO getting sick from the meds, THANK God for mj, I have a life again and NOBODY has the right to take that away from me. LEGALIZE MJ

To all our men/woman in uniform past and present, thank you, God Bless.

One Shot One Kill

Hopefully all states will realize that mj has legitimate medicinal uses and legalize it. It really does wonders for stress and anxiety. I don't have ptsd personally but I know first-hand people who have it from the sandbox and I'm certain that mj would help them cope with the stresses of battle. God bless your work with the veterans and to those who've served our great nation. Take care and be safe.

HUA!

Here is the link. Forgot to add it. hxxp://www.salem-news.com/articles/july102009/ptsd_therapy_7-10-09.php

I want to post so badly on this. Ive been tryin. And I just cant.
But good luck wm. And to the others. Thank you.

Dr. Leveque has written several articles and done a few videos on PTSD and cannabis. He's a good guy, incidentally- I've chatted with him on the phone. Bonnie and Tim, who run the Salem News are good folks too.

Granny

I want to post so badly on this. Ive been tryin. And I just cant.

Hey, Bro, just hang in there, man. We know. Some days I cannot bear to think about it, but can't help thinking about it. I don't talk about it, never have been able. Just trying to make it thru the day, ya know.

PS, just got back from the VA and the shrink wanted to restart me on the Lorazepam. I wish the forum rules would allow me to use the words I need to describe how I feel. But I know that ya'll know.

Peace, Love, and uh.... Lower taxes?

As a fellow disabled vet with 30% PTSD, I have taken all of the listed medication in your post, and none of them work like MMJ. I go to sleep, and stay asleep. calms me head and thoughts from running 1000mph. I have tried to ask for it through the VA and my shrink says MMJ is not the answer only causes anxiety. so I am hoping my current state puts a bill through, im praying for it. To all my fellow comrades currently present, and passed thank you and you paved the way for me while I was in for 10yrs. and god speed!!!

Criz

Latest posts

Back