Question 4 the masses!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

min

Reaction score
hey, I have got twenty plants, all of which seem to be GIRLS, yay!, this is my first grow eva, and am doing it indoors, under a 500w bulb and ballast with a fan on speed "2" to circulate the air abit, my question is how much will they stretch or grow when I put them over to 12-12? today be sunday and I plan to change the lights over on tuesday, my girls are about a good foot tall, this is about week 61/2 of veggin, so it seems to be the right time to swap the lights over to 12-12? I am hopin it will take another 7 weeks of flowerin and then they will be done, fingers crossed they will yeild well... I will get some pix up for you all to look at, I think they are just the sexiest lil gurls out there, for a first time grower! :hubba: :D

How much they stretch is largely dependent on the strain...a foot tall now will probably hve you lookin at 3 feet or more...and plan on 8 weeks or more for flowering.....

20 1' tall plants under 500 watts? I dunno man. Can't 'see' what's up, but in my mind I would just go ahead and pull off half or more of them now. Are they in individual containers? Hydro (I'm guessing no way)? Not sure what space a 500 watt is rated for but I can't imagine it would be more than what?... I dunno, maybe 3x4? 3x3? Less??? I think you are going to end up with a couple plants doing well and a whole bunch just takin' up space. And Lewis is right, no way to even take an ill-informed guess without at least knowing what type of strain it is. I would take most out and use them to refine your mother-keeping, veg nuting, training and cloning skills. In the long run this should totally inhance your experience and prove your new found hobby much more fulfilling than one botched flip. Serious man, you got yourself a golden opportunity here to get on the fast track of learning how to be self reliant. I wouldn't pass it by.....;)

StoneyBud said:
What type of light is this "500" watt bulb?

lol, it did say that. I was thinking 250x2? Maybe it's a 430 bulb with a 400 ballast???? Maybe he even meant a 600? Must be a 400 or 600... Or he is growing in Russia or China or something.

Just teasing Min..;)

min said:
hey, I have got twenty plants, all of which seem to be GIRLS, yay!, this is my first grow eva, and am doing it indoors, under a 500w bulb and ballast with a fan on speed "2" to circulate the air abit, my question is how much will they stretch or grow when I put them over to 12-12? today be sunday and I plan to change the lights over on tuesday, my girls are about a good foot tall, this is about week 61/2 of veggin, so it seems to be the right time to swap the lights over to 12-12? I am hopin it will take another 7 weeks of flowerin and then they will be done, fingers crossed they will yeild well... I will get some pix up for you all to look at, I think they are just the sexiest lil gurls out there, for a first time grower! :hubba: :D

hello and thanks for shareing with us..cant wait to see pics..whats the size room..and i hate to say but read up on hermies...so far everyone that says has all females..welll...sorry...im gonna go smoke my Bong now..loks like ya gots lot good help..take care and be safe

If you grew these from bagseed and ended up with all females, you almost certainly have hermie seeds. You would be well advised to keep a very close eye out for nanners.

I also agree that 20 plants seem like too many for a 500W light (I have never heard of a 500W HPS or MH--this isn't a halogen is it?). I have a 1000W in a 6.5 x 3' space and never put more than 8 plants in there at a time.

Plants can double or triple in size after put into 12/12 and as already mentioned, you are probably looking at 8 or more weeks for flowering.

wicked info guys. They are from bagseed, I am growing in the southern hemisphere, they are in individual bags, in soil, no hydos, feeding them grozilla at the mo and water I have 2 pallets in my room, with two 500 w bulbs and ballasts, with 20 under one light and a few babies under the other, so I can spread them out if need be, i have topped them and some i have done the LST thing on them, will post some pix l8a, and I am a dudet, not a dude, I kinda wondered bout the hermie side of things... will do some reading bout them. cheers, have a mean day all. mite have a chuff as well. ka kite.

min said:
two 500 w bulbs and ballasts...
Most lights are either 400 watt or 600 watt.

What brand and model are yours? I'd love to see 500 watt lights. It might be better than the 400's or 600's.

Good to hear you're a dudette. This place is top heavy with guys.

I'm very curious about your lights. I've just never heard of 500's.

Btw, welcome to MP. You're gonna love this place.

you havn't heard of them coz I was having a blonde moment (no offence to the blondes of this site!) the lights are 500 V, 1500 WATTS, 4Kw, not 500 watts! does that make better sense? I tried to take pix, but the lights cause a photo to be taken with black lines floating all thru it, will have to wait till my son gets home and will ask him what he reckons about the photos, he good with that sort of thing! Ka kite!

min said:
you havn't heard of them coz I was having a blonde moment (no offence to the blondes of this site!) the lights are 500 V, 1500 WATTS, 4Kw, not 500 watts! does that make better sense? I tried to take pix, but the lights cause a photo to be taken with black lines floating all thru it, will have to wait till my son gets home and will ask him what he reckons about the photos, he good with that sort of thing! Ka kite!
I'm guessing that you're not an electrician....hehehe, just kidding with you.

The lights have a manufacturer like Sylvania or Westinghouse

They also have a lamp wattage.

What you've given is 1500 watts (which is H-U-G-E)

And you've also said 4,000 watts (4Kw), (which is REALLY H-U-G-E)

The light bulb itself should have the number of watts it produces, printed right on the bulb.

We here on MP can't really help you very much until we figure out what equipment you're using.

It's cool though, there is no rush.

When you switch your light to 12/12, *that* is when the flowering timing starts. It generally takes 8 to 12 weeks to flower from the time you turn your lights to 12/12.

Hang in there. We all started at some point. No one is born knowing how to grow weed.

yip, 1500 watts is what is written on the side of the bulb, long bulb that screws into the ballast, do you think that is enuff for the 20 plants or is my power bill just gonna be freaking H U G E, the chap at the s.o.g shop recommended these lights and ballasts, maybe he thought I was gonna grow a garrage full or something! will go have another look and get back to you, cheers stoney, LOL, no i not an electrician, just a 1st timer, starting to freek out a lil, but totally enjoying this and learnin from all you guys and gals!

min said:
yip, 1500 watts is what is written on the side of the bulb, long bulb that screws into the ballast, do you think that is enuff for the 20 plants or is my power bill just gonna be freaking H U G E, the chap at the s.o.g shop recommended these lights and ballasts, maybe he thought I was gonna grow a garrage full or something! will go have another look and get back to you, cheers stoney, LOL, no i not an electrician, just a 1st timer, starting to freek out a lil, but totally enjoying this and learnin from all you guys and gals!
I've found a Satco S4837-SAT Metal Halide 1500 Watt Light Bulb, so maybe this is what the guy sold you. I wonder, because this bulb has a great big round part in the middle of the bulb. When you say "Long bulb" I have the impression you're looking at an HPS bulb, not a halide. Do you have the box the bulb came in?

I also found a 1,500 Watt High Pressure Sodium Quad Voltage 120/208/240/277 bulb too, so I'm not sure what you have.

If it's one of these two, yes, it'll pull the same electric (basically) as 15, 100 watt bulbs.

Not real bad. There are plenty of growers that use multiple 1000 watt grows.

I'd love to see your grow room setup where you'll be using this light.

I don't know if the guy told you or not, but make sure you wipe this bulb off very well with gloved hands, prior to turning it on. Skin oils can cause high output bulbs to burst when turned on.

I'm looking forward to learning more about your grow area.

Reactions: min
min said:
cheers, have a mean day all. mite have a chuff as well. ka kite.

I have no idea what you said but it sounds awesome and I'm going to try to mix it in with my vocabulary soon.

I get "have a mean day all". But what does "mite have a chuff as well" and "ka kite" mean?

LOL!" mite have a chuff too - gonna have a joint or a bong or spliff or whateva turns your wheels, Ka kite - means c ya in the maori language.

The Māori (commonly pronounced /ˈmɑːɔri/ or /ˈmaʊri/) are the indigenous Polynesian people of New Zealand (Aotearoa). The group probably arrived in southwestern Polynesia in several waves at some time before 1300.[6] The Māori settled the islands and developed a distinct culture.

Europeans came to New Zealand in increasing numbers from the late 18th century and the weapon technologies and diseases they brought with them destabilised Māori society. After 1840, Māori lost much of their land and went into a cultural and numerical decline, but their population began to increase again from the late 19th century, and a cultural revival began in the 1960s.

i think pics are in order, wouldn't you all say? i'm real curious as to how this set up looks.

Latest posts

Back