Question for the Pro's

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lax4wm

Reaction score
Quick question, I have been on the HUNT for CFL's... it is really hard to find a bulb that can be directly connected without a ballast for less than 20 dollars a bulb...thats if i go with the 65 watt which is about 2800 lumens and 6500k. However, it is not so difficult to find lower wattage bulbs like 23-32 watts in the 6500K temperature at local stores...I Have only 2 babies and the grow space is a closet...dimensions are about 21 inches deep (length?)....30 inches wide and about 65 inches tall. I have 3 sockets i can put CFL's in..I am trying give the babies as many lumens as possible. Would I be shorting them by going with 3 27 watt bulbs, at 6.97 dollars a peice and lumen output of approx. 1750 per bulb. How many lumens do you think are appropriate and do you think I should get them in the 5100K temperature full spectrum so that I can use them supplemental to my 250 watt hps i will be using for flowering?

obviously using the smaller bulbs is gonna"short" the plants compared to the larger ones. By almost 50%! When using flourescent lighting its hard to over do it. I`m gonna have to suggest using the best supplies you can afford to use. The three small bulbs should work, but why settle for less? In this world you only get what you give.

Thank you for that post exactly what i needed to hear. I was KIND'VE hoping you were gonna tell me eh you only need like 3k lumens don't bother going for the bigger/better. I'm gonna do what's best for my babies anyone got 3 CFL's for sale???

why not forget about the c fl`s and go all the way with your HPS? use cfl`s for only a couple of weeks(seedling stage) and then bang em under your "real" light for the rest.
that sounds like your best bet to me.
i don`t know about any cfl`s which don`t require a ballast dude,sorry.
BTW, the optimum lumens are 5000 per sq ft.

lax4wm said:
Thank you for that post exactly what i needed to hear. I was KIND'VE hoping you were gonna tell me eh you only need like 3k lumens don't bother going for the bigger/better. I'm gonna do what's best for my babies anyone got 3 CFL's for sale???

That size room needs 21,000 lumens for best results.

shuggy4105 said:
why not forget about the c fl`s and go all the way with your HPS? use cfl`s for only a couple of weeks(seedling stage) and then bang em under your "real" light for the rest.
That's kinda the plan...I'd like to veg for long enough to get at least one top in...maybe 2...I have to harvest this by like early May so as you can see I am kinda forced to only veg for a few weeks.

What do you think about using bulbs in the 5000K range that way they will dbl as supplemental lumens during flowering as well?
Also, do you think I should supplement CFL's with the HPS during veg?
Thanks

you could always get a MH conversion bulb for best results. Or even just use the hps if you can keep it cool enough.

for the size of your grow space the HPS will do great-but remember, you can never have "too" much light.

Okay I found my purchase(i had been to the 1k bulbs before but thanks!)...a word to the wise i realized i can power 6 lights from my 3 sockets because I have these splitter type things that allow 2 bulbs per socket..and the sockets are 150watt max so i'm fine in that sense. The great thing is the price on the light bulbs @ 1k bulbs doubles after 30 watts. from about 4 dollars p/u to about 9 dollars p/u... so I stopped looking for higher watts and just decided to get 6 30 watts......2k lumen's per bulb 12k over all....thats the most I am going to be able to afford unfortunately.....The decision I am at now is do I buy the:
6500K or 5000K

I am thinking 5k simply because I believe thats the color temp if you want to use 1 light from Seed-Harvest thats 12K extra Lumen's during flowering!

If you think that going for the 6500K will make a big difference or would advise otherwise please let me know hopefully I can buy these bad boys tonight and give my guys a little treat 8)

EDIT: Site says that the 6500K bulbs are Full Spectrum...I know what that means like a textbook definition but i can't use that info to help make my decision maybe it will effect your opinions.

just calm down, your looking into the right things. But overworrying on one subject usually leads to neglect of another. So chill :bong2: , you`ll do fine.

lol, thank you gangalama. worryin too much is true but the time is nigh and I think I got everything else under control...this is my first dwc in this spot but not my first grow...I have learned some from the first attempt...but way more from this forum.
Thank you!:D

lax4wm said:
Quick question, I have been on the HUNT for CFL's... it is really hard to find a bulb that can be directly connected without a ballast for less than 20 dollars a bulb...thats if i go with the 65 watt which is about 2800 lumens and 6500k. However, it is not so difficult to find lower wattage bulbs like 23-32 watts in the 6500K temperature at local stores...I Have only 2 babies and the grow space is a closet...dimensions are about 21 inches deep (length?)....30 inches wide and about 65 inches tall. I have 3 sockets i can put CFL's in..I am trying give the babies as many lumens as possible. Would I be shorting them by going with 3 27 watt bulbs, at 6.97 dollars a peice and lumen output of approx. 1750 per bulb. How many lumens do you think are appropriate and do you think I should get them in the 5100K temperature full spectrum so that I can use them supplemental to my 250 watt hps i will be using for flowering?

I found a set of 6 25 watt 1800 lumen each at ebay, take a peak, you might find what you need.
they're regular spirals, work like a charm :p

good advice there man, stick to the plants basic needs n` you`ll be fine.

Hey lax...if you have the option, why not mix the two... 5k and 65k?..also..have you considered LST?..I really think to maximize a CFL light system Low Stress Training is necessary.....LST and CFL's go together like peas and carrots...good luck! :ccc:

For sure definitely intend to lst, I practiced some on my last run. I might just mix them like you said its a good idea. Thanks man.

Thanks everyone.

Peace

Latest posts

Back