Question on lights

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muad'dib

Reaction score
Hi... I posted this in the Lights Forum with no replies. Do you guys and gals have any thoughts??
OK... i have been reading all i can lay my hands on, including lots of forums, but i am still as little confused about something.

Lights..... Specifically, I have read that you can use either but MH/veg and HPS/flowering is best. I have also read that i can mix HPS into the veg and add a MH to flowering for faster results with better and more compact budz.

My plan is to have a couple of 65/500W 4U CFL floods for cloning, etc; 600W MH for veggin and a 1000W HPS for flowering. (EDIT: its now 400W MH Veg and 600W HPS flowering)

I have read about ' more is better ' etc. So.. my questions are.

1 - What would be the bonus of adding two 150W HPS 'sidelights' to the veggin setup??? Would i get faster growing plants? These would probably be situated either at the left and right of the plants on the wall, or, hung higher and shining down at a 45 degree angle.

2 - What would be the bonus, if any, of adding a 400W MH to the HPS for blooming?

Would the additional lights make any difference?? Would the plants grow faster/bigger/stronger???

Thanks for all advice.
M

Well, more lights means bigger buds. Usually you can harvest more according to the amount of lumens you have. Space, size of pots, nutrients and CO2 are also a factor as well, I would say that it depends alot on your space. What I mean is that IMO you can have one square meter with 600watts and that would be sufficient. I say this mainly for the heat factor. If you have a whole room with great ventilation, then yeah....go for broke. For your 150 sidelight questions I would say; the bonus would be bigger branch buds and fuller colas (you would have to do some LST to make the branches stronger to hold the weight of the buds), No you wouldn´t have faster growing plants you would have better growing plants. And to question 2 I would say adding a MH to the HPS for blooming would give you more lumens and more of a blue spectrum for your plants. IMO HPS lights are the way to go for blooming. They have a better spectrum for the flowers, MH have a better spectrum for the veg stage, again keep in mind the heat and space you have available. Finally, the speed of your plants growth depends on many factors (genetics, fertilizer, frequency of watering, light distance, stress in the form of LST or cloning) all can affect your plants growth. Hope I have helped a little and please keep us updated on your grow it sounds interesting! *kindphriend*

Thanks.. yes that answered a lot.
I have started a grow journal on this one, which is here

Latest posts

Back