Rain Water

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

New_2_Chronic

Gone Baby Gone
Reaction score
I have heard Rain water is the most beneficial you can get, so today was watering day anyway so i set them out in the rain....any benefit to doing this?

When my BF used to grow, we caught all the rain water in 50 gal food grade plastic barrels and that was always his favorite water to use. I am in a different place now and cannot do that, but if rainwater was a possibility I would use it.

I've always heard good things about rain water.

I like to collect it and mist with it.

canibanol cannonball said:
just keep an eye out for industry stacks letting out there pollutants, they build em tall so wind will carry there garbage 2 towns over

One of the things I love about living in the mountains...it is quite pristine where I live. We get wildfires most years that give us a smoky atmosphere, but that is as bad as it gets.

sounds beut' we get lake fires and smog warnings, i live close to an industry and one time there stack got plugged and the air was orange all day, smelly stuff. If i could use rain water i would but...

yeah where i live we get ALOT of rain,,,, even hurricanes(im praying that doesnt happen, my grow is not hurricane proofed). I could get them out in the rain literally once a week...

Over the next two months if it rains and it is watering day ill throw em out in it....

It just alot of work to move around a dozen plants in 3 gal pots...especially if they have been in the rain

New_2_Chronic said:
yeah where i live we get ALOT of rain,,,, even hurricanes(im praying that doesnt happen, my grow is not hurricane proofed). I could get them out in the rain literally once a week...

Over the next two months if it rains and it is watering day ill throw em out in it....

It just alot of work to move around a dozen plants in 3 gal pots...especially if they have been in the rain

We collected rain water from rain gutters and downspouts that emptied into 50 gal barrells. We used a submersible pump to pump from there into the plant room into another 50 gal barrell. Moving the plants in and out is a lot of work.

gutters and downspouts?

were you not worried about contamination of the water by going through a gutter or downspout? I would think that would be an issue.

New_2_Chronic said:
gutters and downspouts?

were you not worried about contamination of the water by going through a gutter or downspout? I would think that would be an issue.

No--not at all. What kind of contamination do you get from your gutters and downspouts?

Well roofing material that is wasked down into the gutter....all the decaying matter up there if you havent cleaned them in awhile...I would of thought runoff water would be full of harmful things.... But what do i Know....:hubba:

The Hemp Goddess said:
No--not at all. What kind of contamination do you get from your gutters and downspouts?

Im sorry hemp Goddess...I have to some what dis agree:eek: ...some roof top material Has some chemicals I cant even begin to mention that kill vegitation...Thats why they Have run off ponds...dry wells....I collect Rain water for outside as well as inside...I am a strong believer of rainwater/distilled...and snow...but we dont get much here...Rain YES!! Lots...I Put 55 gallon drums out and they fill quik.. I then pump it into Gallon Milk jubs I been saving from Kids breakfast...wow they Grow fast..:holysheep: ...no diss HempGod.. just wonder...whats on his room top?..also be sure to seal containers...algea and Moskitos(SP)..lol..yuk

New_2_Chronic said:
Well roofing material that is wasked down into the gutter....all the decaying matter up there if you havent cleaned them in awhile...I would of thought runoff water would be full of harmful things.... But what do i Know....:hubba:
the top cap of roofing sometimes has "zinc strip / moss boss. Its a lead like metal strip, when rain hits it, it washes chems down the roof to kill moss.

New_2_Chronic said:
gutters and downspouts?

Ive use rain water from the roof, small asphalt pieces get washed down but I filter them out and have no problems using it.

4u2sm0ke said:
Im sorry hemp Goddess...I have to some what dis agree:eek: ...some roof top material Has some chemicals I cant even begin to mention that kill vegitation...Thats why they Have run off ponds...dry wells....I collect Rain water for outside as well as inside...I am a strong believer of rainwater/distilled...and snow...but we dont get much here...Rain YES!! Lots...I Put 55 gallon drums out and they fill quik.. I then pump it into Gallon Milk jubs I been saving from Kids breakfast...wow they Grow fast..:holysheep: ...no diss HempGod.. just wonder...whats on his room top?..also be sure to seal containers...algea and Moskitos(SP)..lol..yuk

You are absolutely correct that not all rainwater is safe to use. Our ability to use rainwater depends somewhat on our individual circumstances and location. We do not have run off ponds and dry wells where I live. There are no seperate rain water systems. Rainwater helps fill the canals and rivers that water the crops. There is virtually no pollution of any kind unless we have a wildfire near. We all have steel roofs with a steep pitch so the snow will slide off--we get lots of snow. The worst things that get in my gutters are pine needles and pine cones. I forget sometimes how nasty things can be in the cities. I sure love my little piece of heaven...

so wats soem you think if i got shingled roof wit them shingles that like thick tar paper and them tiny speck rocks coatin top of shingles. the roof job itself is well over 6 years old maybe more like 8 years since done last. i'm thinkin that if any chemicals in my roof they'd be leached out by now after that many years of rain an snow. i went an cleaned my gutters real spotless just 2 days ago to try catch rainwater as well. so gitters were clean an free of debris.
i went out this afternoon and filled a five gallon water jug with the gutter water. only its a dirty cloudy when in the jug.
PH tested an it reads 7.8 is this high for rain water? or does that mean there all sorts goofy chemicals in there raisin Ph so high?
my girls are all thirsty right now an thought i would spoil them wit some mother nature goodness but now after readi some i'm unsure wether it safe to use or not.
i mean im sure theres always a risk usin roof water but in all actuallity have any of you who use rain water ever experience any deprivation or harm to ya girls ever from any rain water? if so i'm all ears.
ya always hear the possibilities but seldom hear actual stories from experience regardin them precautions..

dont do it just for the fact its 7.8! that water will cause lockout if used enough. yeah rain water is typically 6.2-6.8

rainwater is good but be careful of collecting h2o from a roof that isnt metal. its tempting to sit a bucket under the downspout and watch it fill fast but i just cant see chancing it when you have an asphalt shingle roof.

get some visqueen and stretch it across a couple of saw horses, put you bucket under the visq. and poke some holes above the bucket. not as fast as collecting off the roof but i dont have a Clay Tile or Metal roof.

the rainy season is almost here. got rain for the first time in 6 wks or so.

if you have bargin trader magazine available you can pick up 55 gal plastic drums pretty cheap.

Latest posts

Back