Reflux columns for producing 190 proof ethanol

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been looking at those heater/controller setups, maybe eventually, but first it will be good old propane. Using propane, I understand requires a unit with very good adjustment, not just turkey fry heat. The one from same place has been out of stock, now I don't see it listed, do I need to figure out a good one with proper adjustment.

Any recommended heat sources ( besides the obvious cry once heater/controller) for heating?

I'm all ears!

Bubba

I ordererd a propane heater, wasn't sure about good ones, was just told to get one that has good adjustability, some just want to run around turkey frying temperature. The mostest bestest was a little over 200, so I settle with this for less than half.. Reviews said it ran low well. This will work until the smoke clears a little more.

"Still" need to get column, stuffing and a few odd and end connectors. Getting closer.

Bubba

It's only a show, he is made to be the clumsy one on purpose LOL
That was where I was going next
Even the dog walked into a yellow jacket nest and got stung a crap load.
I read somewhere or the other that the show MOONSHINERS, not the 3 contestant one, that there was no actual booze being made. I mean really, either they have the dumbest law enforcement....Just follow the camera crew when they leave filming the cops to where they are filming the still....

I don't know about the three contestants one, some folks are involved with a legal distilling outfit, so maybe they are covered. These shows are likely just to promote home distillation.

I'm just after 190 alch, not for drinking.

Bubba

1641761301253.png

Get a digital control air still, two runs will get you 190 proof, on the kitchen counter. I make all my
ethanol for exacting with my still. Amazon has all kinds to choose from.

Yeah Moonshine Distillers is a lot better then the 1st show. And it is all legal.
The other one was probably for real the first yr but after that no fking way could they get by with that bullshit.

View attachment 285920

Get a digital control air still, two runs will get you 190 proof, on the kitchen counter. I make all my
ethanol for exacting with my still. Amazon has all kinds to choose from.
I have researched these a lot and are you saying you have proofed the results coming from your using an alcohol hydrometer (tell percentage of alcohol in fluid)
and its comes out as 95% pure alcohol?\
I call no way, the still is not designed to make that kind of liquor .

Yeah Moonshine Distillers is a lot better then the 1st show. And it is all legal.
The other one was probably for real the first yr but after that no fking way could they get by with that bullshit.
It may have to do with the fact That someone on the set is a licensed distiller in that state and they operate under that persons license and responsibilities.

I have researched these a lot and are you saying you have proofed the results coming from your using an alcohol hydrometer (tell percentage of alcohol in fluid)
Looks a Little shy of 8 gal boiler I'm using....

Bubba

I start with 12% mash,10lbs sugar,1/2 cup bakers yeast in 5 gal water.
The first run I get the percentage
to 60%. The 2nd run I get between 180 to 190% proof. By the way pure alcohol is 100%, you'll
need a meter to measure your progress. There is no head to discard from sugar mash, named mountain dew. A digital air still is acuate and you can set it for different evaporation points for different fluids. Five gallons makes 2 1/2 quarts at that high of proof.

100% alcohol won't be for long. I've bought "reagent grade 100%iso" but once it was opened, it begins to absorb moisture from the air, stabilizing around 95%. I would think ethanol would act similarly.

Bubba

100% alcohol won't be for long. I've bought "reagent grade 100%iso" but once it was opened, it begins to absorb moisture from the air, stabilizing around 95%. I would think ethanol would act similarly.

Bubba
The only way I've reached 200 proof/100%, was to use mol sieve to remove the last 5% water.

I start with 12% mash,10lbs sugar,1/2 cup bakers yeast in 5 gal water.
The first run I get the percentage
to 60%. The 2nd run I get between 180 to 190% proof. By the way pure alcohol is 100%, you'll
need a meter to measure your progress. There is no head to discard from sugar mash, named mountain dew. A digital air still is acuate and you can set it for different evaporation points for different fluids. Five gallons makes 2 1/2 quarts at that high of proof.
OK you are doing more than one run, but have you actually use a proof hydrometer
Like this to check final proof
1641816794142.png
also have you moded that distiller at all, most come with a pressure relief (small hole in tubing) built into the coil lines at top the heating unit that allows the loss of steam. It never allows it to reach high alcohol percentages due to the loss.
If you are actually getting those number I may reexamine one.
Are all tubing made from steel inside, and no rubber of plastic parts inside that the alcohol comes in contact with. The Chinese produce mass quantities of these units with plastic liners and hoses which leach PCBs into final product .

I recommend both a hydrometer and a graduated flask tall enough for it to sink all the way past the 200 proof mark. Note that the hydrometers work at a specific temperature and require adjustments above and below that.

Also a pH meter if you have any color blindness. I used litmus paper last time my meter batteries were dead and got half the yield from dropping too low.

If you are going for 190 proof, then I suggest looking at yeast strains that will allow up to 20% ABV. For 5 gallon runs, I use the original/classic Turbo Yeast with 17.5 lbs of corn sugar for that purpose and adjust pH using citric acid.

I recommend both a hydrometer and a graduated flask tall enough for it to sink all the way past the 200 proof mark. Note that the hydrometers work at a specific temperature and require adjustments above and below that.

Also a pH meter if you have any color blindness. I used litmus paper last time my meter batteries were dead and got half the yield from dropping too low.

If you are going for 190 proof, then I suggest looking at yeast strains that will allow up to 20% ABV. For 5 gallon runs, I use the original/classic Turbo Yeast with 17.5 lbs of corn sugar for that purpose and adjust pH using citric acid.
Would Turbo yeast actually allow one to make 190proof using a table top distiller ?

Would Turbo yeast actually allow one to make 190proof using a table top distiller ?

All the Turbo Yeast does is produce higher alcohol by volume before it goes dormant, so you distill less volume.

If you are talking about an table top air still, I think you would run out of liquid before you ran it enough cycles to approach 190 proof.

Latest posts

Back