Republicans In Washington State, Colorado Endorse Legalization Of Marijuana

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

7greeneyes

MedicalNLovingIt!
Reaction score
url: hMPp://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/05/marijuana-legalization-gop_n_1941504.html

Republicans In Washington State, Colorado Endorse Legalization Of Marijuana
By Jonathan Kaminsky

Oct 4 (Reuters) - Ballot measures to legalize marijuana in Washington state and Colorado gained support this week from a pair of prominent Republicans - U.S. Senate candidate Michael Baumgartner and former Representative Tom Tancredo - who could help sway conservative voters.

No state has ever legalized marijuana for recreational use. The federal government considers it an illegal drug, but 17 states and the District of Columbia allow it as medicine.

Baumgartner, the Republican challenger to Washington state's Democratic Senator Maria Cantwell, said in a phone interview the state initiative, which would allow the sale of marijuana to people 21 and older at state-sanctioned stores, is a "thoughtful way forward."

"It checks a lot of boxes we want to see, in terms of children not being exposed, in terms of not increasing marijuana usage and not allowing it in public spaces," Baumgartner said.

Tancredo, who served five terms in the House of Representatives from 1999 to 2009, this week endorsed the legalization campaign in Colorado. He argued government should not interfere with people's choice to use pot.

In Oregon, a third state where voters this November will decide whether to allow recreational use of pot, the campaign has struggled to find big name Republican supporters.

Legalization opponent Kevin Sabet, a former adviser to the Obama administration's drug policy director, disputed the argument of many libertarians that government should not interfere in pot use by people.

"The libertarian argument is fundamentally flawed because drug use does not affect just the individual, it affects healthcare costs, criminal justice costs that we see with a legal drug like alcohol and costs to our highway safety," Sabet said. (Writing by Alex Dobuzinskis; editing by Mohammad Zargham)

"The libertarian argument is fundamentally flawed because drug use does not affect just the individual, it affects healthcare costs, criminal justice costs that we see with a legal drug like alcohol and costs to our highway safety," Sabet said.

Then they had better do away with ciggies, those definitely harm more people than pot. They'd better do away with prescription drugs and alcohol, phones and sports cars, surely they also contribute heavily to highway safety....better take teens out of the driver's seats as well, right?

:rolleyes: :ignore: ;)

Yes, and caffeine, sugar, what would the cops do if they couldn't get their donuts?

don't u take away my sugar, i'll become the next Jeffrey Dahmer

law enforcement sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, but Romney says he's abainst MJ and doesn't recognise it's usefullness for medical conditions. He's the republican leader and if he's elected for president it won't bode well for legalization efforts.

niteshft said:
Yeah, but Romney says he's abainst MJ and doesn't recognise it's usefullness for medical conditions. He's the republican leader and if he's elected for president it won't bode well for legalization efforts.

It won't bode well for the Country period. How anybody in their right mind could vote for someone who is such a shady, lying prick is beyond me. He is anti women's rights, anti union, anti equal rights and ant middle class. His wealth comes directly from sucking the life blood out of Middle Class jobs. Buy a company, saddle it with debt, and lay off Middle Class Americans whose jobs get shipped to China. Disgusting.... Niteshft is right...he will say whatever he has to at the time to get you to vote for him. I think it'c called Romnesia.:p

The photo of him and his buddy's holding up those hundred dollar bills tells you his whole story.

powerplanter said:
The photo of him and his buddy's holding up those hundred dollar bills tells you his whole story.

:yeahthat:

How much Faux News Kool Aid do you have to drink in order to not see this guy for what he is? Google Lyin for the lord...enough said.

Hamster Lewis said:
It won't bode well for the Country period. How anybody in their right mind could vote for someone who is such a shady, lying prick is beyond me. He is anti women's rights, anti union, anti equal rights and ant middle class. His wealth comes directly from sucking the life blood out of Middle Class jobs. Buy a company, saddle it with debt, and lay off Middle Class Americans whose jobs get shipped to China. Disgusting.... Niteshft is right...he will say whatever he has to at the time to get you to vote for him. I think it'c called Romnesia.:p

:goodposting:

I think this thread is a touch political so will only add WE'RE SCREWED EITHER WAY!!

This thread will be coming to an end soon.:D

Roddy said:
I think this thread is a touch political so will only add WE'RE SCREWED EITHER WAY!!

That's very untrue....there is a clear choice this year. You can hate Obama all you want but don't even try and say he is the same as Romney. Not even close. Unemployment lower then when he took office in spite of the disgusting GOP obstructionists in Congress who long ago decided they would not pass anything that would help the economy and thus help Obama. Only traitors would put party before Country and that is what the GOP has done. It's insane that Middle Class Americans will vote AGAINST their own best interests just to get Obama out of office.

Hamster Lewis said:
It's insane that Middle Class Americans will vote AGAINST their own best interests just to get Obama out of office.

AMEN Hammy!

Hamster,,yur my new Hero.:hubba: Good post.

and Obama has been waging a silent war against all MMJ. More so then anyone before him in his office. Not to mention the failure of the Democratically backed Housing Bailout, or the gun-walking scandal or his threat to defund the military therefore "mitigating" the ever increasing national debt which will not work but will effectively destroy small business precariously clutching to that meager business.

I can't stand unions, they come into where I work and bully eeryone around to the point we just wanna remove the union from our place all together. They charge more and more for the honor of representing the worker yet help them less and less.

But you go ahead and vote for someone that would see your medication (mj) taken away (along with any sellable assets you may possess) but yet remain silent on the matter.

*and thats the closure of this thread...lol...*

Yeah well I am a proud union member and if you think the Republicants will allow MMJ or legal MJ then you are exactly the type of voter Mittens and Lyin Ryan are looking for. Unions were and are the reason the Middle class gets a living wage. If it were not for my union UPS would crap all over me...and to say Obama has been the strictest president on MJ is ridiculous. It's common knowledge that the GOP is way harsher. So you go ahead and vote for the guy who tells lie after lie, who would do away with women's rights, unions, equal rights, who created out sourcing, who won't release his tax returns, who stashes his money off shore to avoid paying taxes, who is in favor of corporate welfare but detests the safety net programs that help poor people and not wealthy companies, who wants more tax breaks for the one percent even if it raises taxes on us middle class Americans and does away with deductions like home mortgage interest that we count on. I won't even get into the disgusting voter suppression that the GOP is waging. Oh and don't forget....47 percent of us are freeloading moochers. Yeah...I can see why people would vote for this pair of clown shoes. Not

I am proud to say that not only have I already cast my vote for Obama, but I am out on the street, knocking on doors and making sure people understand Mitt-believes policy even if he doesn't seem to know his own positions.

Latest posts

Back