Should I enclose outdoor plants now the weather is rainy and frost is possible?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kat

Reaction score
I have 3 plants (Gelato, White Banner, Cheese CBD) growing in pots outside that seem to need another couple weeks if not more (trichomes not even fully present let alone cloudy) but fall weather is here. They have a wire fence around them to keep out deer and I was gonna wrap that in plastic to make a cheapo greenhouse but then I got scared of mildew. The reduced airflow could encourage fungus, but being exposed to rain if I don't add the plastic will risk fungus too. Should I enclose or leave it?

Exactly why I grow outside in Fabric pots. Where I can move them onto the porch if it rains. Had to use fking umbrellas and a leaf blower last yr and it was a real pain in the ass.
Do not close them up or you will loose them to bud rot because of the moisture buildup in that plastic greenhouse.

1664120792324.png

Last edited:
If I was going to cover them, I'd cover the top only or slightly down the sides, and leave most of the sides open for air flow. Having a bamboo rod in the middle that would keep the plastic off the plant and allow moisture to gravitate away from the plant would be the best.

I have 3 plants (Gelato, White Banner, Cheese CBD) growing in pots outside that seem to need another couple weeks if not more (trichomes not even fully present let alone cloudy) but fall weather is here. They have a wire fence around them to keep out deer and I was gonna wrap that in plastic to make a cheapo greenhouse but then I got scared of mildew. The reduced airflow could encourage fungus, but being exposed to rain if I don't add the plastic will risk fungus too. Should I enclose or leave it?
Welcome. I grow in pots outdoors in central Virginia with big humidity and usually a rainy season going into harvest time. I keep a regular old household fan blowing on my plants 24/7. I've been known to drag them up under a 10 x 10 popup tent ahead of a deluge.

Welcome. I grow in pots outdoors in central Virginia with big humidity and usually a rainy season going into harvest time. I keep a regular old household fan blowing on my plants 24/7. I've been known to drag them up under a 10 x 10 popup tent ahead of a deluge.
What are your plans for this weekend's rain ? Mine are in the ground, so no moving.

What are your plans for this weekend's rain ? Mine are in the ground, so no moving.
Fortunately I'm harvested and curing already. Got lucky with an early finish this season. How far are you from ready to chop? How many plants?

The popup tent might do the trick 1) if the plants aren't too tall to fit under it and 2) you have some 12" stakes to anchor the tent. Otherwise, as soon as the rain stops, gently shake them, gently blow them with a leaf blower...take your time, then put a fan on them to keep the air moving.

It depends on how much effort you are willing to put into it. If you want to cover them while keeping the sides open, then it is possible with greenhouse plastic but you will need to be able to tighten its sides therefore probably will need poles and some construction. you also need it inclined enough to not hold water so it will require some effort. You don't want the cover falling onto your plants. you could also consider using a net which will not stop rain but will make its bombarding effect on the plant much less and is lighter and much easier to mount, and allows airflow while preventing strong winds from damaging the plant.
Just some thoughts. Good luck!

Greeting!

Greeting!

I store mine inside if I see that the night temperature will be below 15 degrees. Temperature is not as big a problem as humidity, care should be taken that the tops do not rot.
IMG_20220921_174141.jpg

Latest posts

Back