Should Medical Marijuana Be Used to Treat Kids With Autism?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FruityBud

Reaction score
With more and more children being diagnosed with autism, a search for a treatment is moving past traditional medicines. Now one focus is whether medical marijuana can be effective in curbing, easing or even reversing some of the by-products of autism.

In some instances, autism can make children violent and aggressive. "Sam" is one of those children. The 10-year-old boy from Northern California would lash out with no provocation.

"He got to the point where he was hurting other children, when he was in school, or in public places," his mother told KTLA News. "We'd be in line at the store, and he'd just bolt and hit another child in the face without any warning at all."

Working with doctors, Sam was put on traditional medications such as Risperdal, which has massive weight gain as a side effect. Sam was still violent, but now 20 pounds heavier and stronger.

After speaking with a medical cannabis doctor, the family decided to give marijuana a try. Sam's father grows it in the backyard, making the concentrated form commonly referred to as hash. Sam eats a speck of it hidden in a piece of fruit.

"The first time we did it, we wanted to see if it would work at all," the father recalled. "It was an amazing experience, I'll never forget it, as we watched what happened, it was like 'He's back!' It was like all this anguish, pent-up rage and aggressiveness went away -- it just calmed him down."

This is not the only success story. Marie Myung-Ok Lee of Rhode Island gives her autistic son cannabis tea and cookies made with marijuana-infused oil. Her 9-year-old son has aggression issues, stomach pain, and "pica," which means he eats non-edible items. But after taking his daily doses of medical marijuana, it all goes away. She writes on the website DoubleX.com:

"Next, we started seeing changes in J.’s school reports. His curriculum is based on a therapy called Applied Behavioral Analysis, which involves, as the name implies, meticulous analysis of data. At one parent meeting in August (J. is on an extended school year), his teacher excitedly presented his June-July “aggression” chart. An aggression is defined as any attempt or instance of hitting, kicking, biting, or pinching another person. For the past year, he’d consistently had 30 to 50 aggressions in a school day, with a one-time high of 300. The charts for June through July, by contrast, showed he was actually having days—sometimes one after another—with zero aggressions."

There are similar stories from many parents. But the big question remains: Is it really safe to give medical marijuana to children? Los Angeles-area pediatrician Chris Tolcher said we just don't know enough yet to give an answer.

"I think for all the parents out there whose children may have autism," Tolcher says, "The message here is that this is intriguing information that needs more research before we can confidently say that marijuana is a safe and effective treatment for autism complications."

But consider this from Dr. Bernard Rimland of the Autism Research Institute in San Diego:

"I stress that I am strongly opposed to drugs in general, and consider them a last resort to be employed only when safer and more efficacious treatments fail. But while I am not 'pro-drug,' I am very much 'pro-safe and effective treatment,' especially in cases where an autistic individual’s behaviors are dangerous or destructive. Early evidence suggests that in such cases, medical marijuana may be a beneficial treatment, as well as being less harmful than the drugs that doctors routinely prescribe."

hxxp://tinyurl.com/ye7quwu

Eating it or mmj pills, how can anyone have a problem with it as long as it is working, or atleast helping.

its not like they are gonna let a kid roll up a joint and smoke it.

but you have to think is it helping the child or is it just sedating the child

sedating the child is helping everybody, but mostly the other people he would normally randomly attack

tester said:
but you have to think is it helping the child or is it just sedating the child
a lortab for pain for instance has more side effects than smokin a join, or drinking the tea....

i'm really stuck on the fence here all. i've seen mmj work on children with aggression. but , it was a quick fix for now. we have a mentally disabled daughter. this subject has been an issue in our home for 10 years. i talk to my lady about it all the time. i show her articles. i explained, if we give her a cup of tea, or perhaps cider spiked, could our little girl carry out just one sentence with me without signing(talking with hand sign language)...

i had to stop writing for a few, and am back. this subject tears this grown man to my foundation. my lady suggests i not talk about it now. so, my anguish is now turning to a defensive side, and i can see it leading nowhere, but i don't want to NOT talk about it now. so the question that always arises, "honey, when is a good time for you to talk about this to me"?...and then, the silence. and it may last for days. and thats as bad, if not worse...

i have never given our daughter anything mj related, nor would i without my lady's full approval. what always stops me from pushing her further into convo on this, is the law aspect of it, and the morals that go with being a good parent. my daughter is 23, with the mental capacity of a 6 year old...

i could rant for hours on this, and get nowhere, so i'll listen to the missus, and end rant...:confused: ...

i say if it helps/workss then why teh hek not. especially if and when all other pharmaceuticals(sp?) aint measuring up to wat they worth..

IRISH said:
i'm really stuck on the fence here all. i've seen mmj work on children with aggression. but , it was a quick fix for now. we have a mentally disabled daughter. this subject has been an issue in our home for 10 years. i talk to my lady about it all the time. i show her articles. i explained, if we give her a cup of tea, or perhaps cider spiked, could our little girl carry out just one sentence with me without signing(talking with hand sign language)...

i had to stop writing for a few, and am back. this subject tears this grown man to my foundation. my lady suggests i not talk about it now. so, my anguish is now turning to a defensive side, and i can see it leading nowhere, but i don't want to NOT talk about it now. so the question that always arises, "honey, when is a good time for you to talk about this to me"?...and then, the silence. and it may last for days. and thats as bad, if not worse...

i have never given our daughter anything mj related, nor would i without my lady's full approval. what always stops me from pushing her further into convo on this, is the law aspect of it, and the morals that go with being a good parent. my daughter is 23, with the mental capacity of a 6 year old...

i could rant for hours on this, and get nowhere, so i'll listen to the missus, and end rant...:confused: ...

Hey bro, it's gotta be tough man, fighting a system that has villianized a possible windfall medication and maintained, for some 70 odd years, the status quo of social unacceptability related to it. It is pityful the brainwashing we have been forced to endure, all the while being subjected to the whims and cultural trenches of the big businesses that anti-marijuana laws were originally built to protect. Anything from big pharmaceuticles to chemical/tobacco/food/fuel companies that have polluted our gene pool with their wears and degraded the human existance to the point we can no longer stand for ourselves. Meanwhile, atrocious afflictions such as obesity, autism, and a number of other avoidable disorders continue to plague our species at dizzying rates. We admittedly took a wrong turn in history, and now the decisions that were killing us are the decisions we fight to reconsile. It is very saddening that the same perplexing social stigmas that have put us on this road of self delusion and self destruction, who's sole purpose was to mire a natural industry built of cannabis, are the same ones that inhibit us from fixing those problems with that very same source.

Had it not been for a few that sought to arrest the competition and further their own financial gain, then this would not even exist as a topic. There would be no socially distorted issues of moral to compete with.

IRISH bro, you and Mrs IRISH will do what's right by your daughter. If , in your heart, she is benefitted by cannabis, then to hell with the governor, so to speak. I know no decent parent alive would allow their child to suffer needlessly because treatment and medical moral values were established for the purpose of someone else's pocket book 3/4 of a century ago. You and Mrs IRISH will do what's right.

I have seen for myself what the drugs and treatments offered by our government pushers do to people. Things like tardive dyskinesia/dystonia, liver failure, and dementia. Horrible things. This is the same government that asks us to trust them, the same government that is right now pushing a bill to oversee all our health care needs. This is the government that will structure our perceptions on what treatments we should be giving our obese, autism ridden children. The same government that got paid handsomely to create these problems in the first place!

Wanna see how our government views and deals with these problems? See if you can find a documentary called "Finding Molly".

I read both parts of that story on whatever web page that was on...then i was talking to my mother about it...

If MMJ is the miracle treatment for autism....that is GREAT!!! if it will benefit other autistic children like it did to "J" who's going to complain about helping out a child when they can't help themselves with the addictive pills that barely even work?

This is an amazing breakthrough for dealing with autism.

IRISH said:

I feel your pain, and can understand were you are coming from, specialy from a parents point of view.
I to am a father 1 boy and 1 girl my kids do not have what your daughter has. Try to educate your wife on the true medicinal values of mj dont force her, ease into it, this situation is has hard on your wife has it is on you and she may have her ways of dealing with it, like "shuting you down".

Do your own research on the matter, try to contact some Asian, Indian, or African doctors that specialize in herbal medicine they are the best in the World, no American doctors.
If you have a printer print some studies of the matter and just put it someplace were your wife will see it without you personaly giving it to her, when she is ready she will look at it, and with time she will become educated on this matter, once your wife acepts the fact that mj will help your daughter ask her to go with you and your daughter to the doctor you found that is willing to hep your family.

Has a father I want what is best for my kids, and I am sure you do to, so I would give mj has medicine to my kids in the form of tea only, mj is not the devil it is a herb, a natural healer that has been used has medicine for thousands of years for a reason.

I am a legal medical patient, and a legal medical careviver I have personaly experianced the medicinal benefits of mj, I have seen with my own eyes what mj can do when used has medicine on others, and to see a simple smille on someones face that has not smilled in a long time due to their health is priceless.
God bless you and your family and I hope you find the help you need from the right people, stay strong and be patient, better days will come.

I suffer from frontal lobe impact sysdrone it's the worst of the worst you have this out of control nut case and he doesn't even know he's doing it violent anger uncontrollable rage and it happens at the worst time you get where you don't want to be around any one as when it happens it could be your best friends that you are trying to kill it's not pretty by any means I have tryed all of the drugs risperdal paxil proszac and tons of others I went to having a bleeding stomach from my meds to coughing up blood to craping out blood it was pure hell and now that i am a medical patient I am doing so much better all of the side effects from the other drugs are gone and it has decreased my medical bill by a 100,000.00 a year on meds and now I can be around people safely that is the most important to me I can now trust my self around people it's been a long road but thanks to cannibus it has literally saved my life

What compelling stories, here. I'm trying hard not to weep my way through them. It's very hard to go against the grain, to seek answers outside the box.

In my case, I'm a MM user for pain reasons. But members of my family see no benefits, because their politics/church/neighbors consider it evil. So when they see me, they don't see someone who now finds relief from a gentle herb, they just see me as now having an excuse to smoke pot.

Strangely enough, they had no problem with Limbaugh abusing Oxycontins, because, after all, they are LEGAL drugs, so they must be good. Their reasoning then boils down to, 'if it was good enough for Rush, why aren't they good enough for you? Instead, you use that "horrible hippie stuff."

I attempt to explain that the heavy pain killers like Oxycontin leave me feeling like a Zombie the next day, and on them, I have no life--I can't think, I can't reason, I don't care to try.

But they come back with, "Well, RUSH functioned just fine on them, and you could too if you wanted to, but you'd rather smoke that horrible hippie stuff."

I love my family, but we will likely never find common ground on the topic of medical marijuana. Unless it's FDA approved, those who love me most will always see me as a weak-willed hippie, just out for a good buzz.

Fortunately, I have a terrific hubby who sees first hand how beneficial it has been to me, and loves to see find any way to handle the intractable pain I live with.

And you have hit the nail right on the head. Here is something to think on...

Wether we care to admit it or not, we have been raised to believe that stepping out of the box is WRONG because this is what we have been told.

At some point we must recognize who, then, is stuck in the box, and whom is doing the telling;)

viper1951 said:
I suffer from frontal lobe impact sysdrone it's the worst of the worst you have this out of control nut case and he doesn't even know he's doing it violent anger uncontrollable rage and it happens at the worst time you get where you don't want to be around any one as when it happens it could be your best friends that you are trying to kill it's not pretty by any means I have tryed all of the drugs risperdal paxil proszac and tons of others I went to having a bleeding stomach from my meds to coughing up blood to craping out blood it was pure hell and now that i am a medical patient I am doing so much better all of the side effects from the other drugs are gone and it has decreased my medical bill by a 100,000.00 a year on meds and now I can be around people safely that is the most important to me I can now trust my self around people it's been a long road but thanks to cannibus it has literally saved my life

wow. thats some strong testimony. i think we spoke of this some time back ago viper. i feel you brother. whats terrible about these illnesses, is finding a competant dr to properly diagnose them. the roads they take you down, are mere guess work. trial, and error...

my little girl is prone to the extravagant behavior you speak of. it's uncontrollable. when it happens, it goes down pretty quick. you never see it coming. i've never once noticed a warning indicator. then it's over, just as fast...

these outbursts are what keep me talking to my lady, on trying my way. man, i would love nothing more to take this big dam pile of meds shes on, and pitch every last one in the trash, and give my baby some weed to eat, drink, or smoke. i could'nt keep my mouth shut. i told the dr's of my thoughts. i was told, i would be locked down, and our girl taken from us if she tested mj positive. wth?...

i have'nt come this far in the mmj circles by ducking each time i was challenged. and i don't bow to no man. if, and better yet, WHEN, i get my lady to stand by me on this, it is on brothers. i don't hug the fence. it will be all, or nothing...

Irish, sending you and your family all my prayers and support! I've no doubt you will do whatever needs to be done for the betterment of your daughter, and your family.

It's time that the US takes off the blinders and take a good look around. MJ is close to the perfect all around medication. Just look at the NEWS. Mj cures Cancer of the brain,lungs,and skin. MJ helps ease pain. There is so many uses, maybe someone will help finish the list here. I hope so. I absolutely think that it is just find to use MJ on children if it works for them. MJ is a whole lot less toxic on the child then the man made drugs that are used today. Just make darn sure that there is a Dr.s prescription for the MJ for the child. Cause if your busted giving MJ to a child I sure won't feel sorry for what happens to you. Peace out

Anything that will help someone live a better happier life I am all for. I believe that if there is a god that he gave us weed...so I will use it and be thankful. Irish your daughter is very lucky to have been born to you...good daddy maybe ask the wife about a compromise to just try it for a month? if she doesnt like it u will stop it..If there is a chance it will help i think its worth trying..maybe talk to a dr about it with the wifey?

Latest posts

Back