Sick maybe? I'm not sure

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sparda

Reaction score
Hey there, so this is my first grow it's about 2 weeks old just got the one plant right now, until the other day we decided to just go ahead and plant the other seeds which we had.

Anyways, I went to check on them the other day and I noticed that the leaves had a few specs of white on them in some places more than others. I then softly sprayed them with some plain water which has since got rid of them but I'm still curious as to what it was in the first place.

My friend thinks it was just some water particals that had stayed on the leaves but I'm not so sure so thought I'd come on here and ask.

Just to note, we left the plant under the much smaller light for too long which made it stretch quite badly =\ I'm hoping that isnt going to affect it's growth too much. But when I look at the other plants on here at 2/3 weeks they look so much bigger than this one which I guess could just be down to the strain of plant.

Untitled-1.jpg

Untitled-2.jpg

If that's residue from water drops, you've got some super hard water. Looks more like nute splash. Are you nuting them yet? Have you been foliar feeding?

Honestly, they don't look bad at all for a couple of weeks old.

PencilHead said:
If that's residue from water drops, you've got some super hard water. Looks more like nute splash. Are you nuting them yet? Have you been foliar feeding?

Honestly, they don't look bad at all for a couple of weeks old.

Yeah I'm nuting them 1/4 strength, but I haven't been foliar feeding. will just need to be more careful for it not to splash back up as I'm feeding them if that's what it was.

Glad to know that they don't look bad, I was worried that since it was quite badly stretched when we transplanted it that it might mess things up.

Thanks a lot :bongin:

As THG said, don't feed them when they're so young.

Oh right, ok. It only had one feeding of the nutes so good job I found that out. It's the last thing I need to figure out now, how much nutes to give them and how often.

I've been reading through things trying to find out how often to feed them and stuff all of it pretty much says feed them when the soil is dry and some people alternate feeding them nutes and then next just normal water then next time nutes again. You think thats a good way of doing it, or is there a better way to know?

I had read that nutes should start being used after around 2-3 weeks which is why I had given it a feed of 1/4 strength nutes.

A lot of people feed every other watering, and some feed every watering. If you feed every watering, use about half as much. No matter which you choose, go easy on the fertilizers. It is easier to fix an underfed plant than it is to nurse an overfed, sickly one, back to health.

What kind of fertilizer do you think you might use? If you're going to use an inorganic fertilizer as opposed to an organic one, then yes, it is probably a good idea to start with 1/4 strength. Now, on the other hand, the organic fertilizers tend to be milder than the inorganic ones. Earth Juice, for example, I use a full dose every time with no problems.

Continue to read and ask questions. You'll learn a lot that way, and in a couple of weeks you should have a good idea of what you want to do.

Alistair said:
A lot of people feed every other watering, and some feed every watering. If you feed every watering, use about half as much. No matter which you choose, go easy on the fertilizers. It is easier to fix an underfed plant than it is to nurse an overfed, sickly one, back to health.

What kind of fertilizer do you think you might use? If you're going to use an inorganic fertilizer as opposed to an organic one, then yes, it is probably a good idea to start with 1/4 strength. Now, on the other hand, the organic fertilizers tend to be milder than the inorganic ones. Earth Juice, for example, I use a full dose every time with no problems.

Continue to read and ask questions. You'll learn a lot that way, and in a couple of weeks you should have a good idea of what you want to do.

Yeah I'll leave it for another week with just giving it water then I'll start with the nutes at 1/4 strength then if it starts lacking in any of the nutes up the dosage little by little until I get the correct amount which it needs.

Yeah I'm using an inorganic fertilizer, but I'll go into the hydro store (I'm lucky enough to have one 10 mins away from where I live) and see if they have Earth Juice and check it out. I think we need to get a different fertilizer anyways, the one I have is at an N-P-K of 4-2-5 which I think is going to make it tricky to get the correct dosage, right?

Actually, a fertilizer for the vegetative phase of growth might look something like this : 30 10 15, for example. Notice how much more nitrogen there is than either phosphorus or potassium. At this point there is more nitrogen and potassium than phosphorus, and that is what you want.

If you get Earth Juice and use a good potting soil, such as Fox Farm Ocean Forest soil, plus add a bit of dolomite lime, then you should experience excellent results without pH problems. It is great stuff, in my opinion.

A 4-2-2 would be more like it. Yours is way K heavy for veg.

Your babies are fine. Pearlite dust from the soil mix...

Sparda said:
Hey there, so this is my first grow it's about 2 weeks old just got the one plant right now, until the other day we decided to just go ahead and plant the other seeds which we had.

Anyways, I went to check on them the other day and I noticed that the leaves had a few specs of white on them in some places more than others. I then softly sprayed them with some plain water which has since got rid of them but I'm still curious as to what it was in the first place.

My friend thinks it was just some water particals that had stayed on the leaves but I'm not so sure so thought I'd come on here and ask.

Just to note, we left the plant under the much smaller light for too long which made it stretch quite badly =\ I'm hoping that isnt going to affect it's growth too much. But when I look at the other plants on here at 2/3 weeks they look so much bigger than this one which I guess could just be down to the strain of plant.

It's crazy what just a few days does! Baby is now 3 weeks old and looking much bigger and growing up quickly!

I've now started feeding it nutes, gave it a dose of 1/4 strength yesterday for it's 3rd week birthday lol.

I have noticed however (something which I noticed before giving it nutes) a few of the leaves are starting to curl.

It might be nothing but it could be something so figured I'd update this thread with some new pictures and see what you guys think.

I really should just make a growing journal haha, I think I'll do that later :p

IMAG0083.jpg

IMAG0084.jpg

In my opinion, it is still too little to feed. Also, fill your pots to the top with dirt. The plant looks pretty good, though.

Latest posts

Back