Solar Attic Fan ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sasnak

Reaction score
Got a question for Y'all.............

I'm thinking about installing a solar powered attic fan big enough to handle 1200 sf of low attic and was wondering if anybody here might have some input. Thanks in advance

stick with the old school hard wired thermostat controlled attic fan---the solar powered are a pos

orangesunshine said:
stick with the old school hard wired thermostat controlled attic fan---the solar powered are a pos

Why? Just curious.

supposedly the solar panels have a tendency to malfunction and require replacing the whole unit---that equals more roof work sealing, shingles, nailing etc---you can replace parts from the inside if need be for old faithful and you do not have to remove the whole unit from the roof top or gable to work on it if it malfunctions

Thanks for the replies, after doing some research on both types of fans I have issues both. Solar is too expenseve & elect. too noisy. Think I'll just duct my centrifical 424cfm thru the roof and save some money.

Your fan needs to be ultra-dependable. I would be very leery of a solar powered fan also. I would not duct through the roof though--think about going out through the end of the eaves. Every roof penetration you make is a place for rain to leak through. You need some kind of good roof flashing and the expertise to install it correctly to get a watertight seal when going through the roof.

Are you planning on growing in your attic? Attics present special problems--they get really hot in the summer and really cold in the winter.

Thanks for the reply TGH... What I've got going is a small grow in a 72 cf space with the exaust blowing into the attic, & exiting via the eaves. Problem is, I can hear the fan blowing when standing under the eave. You are right about cutting a hole in a perfectly good roof. There is also the option of exiting thru the gable where it would easier and maybe high enough not to be heard.

I exhausted mine out of the opening that was already thier for the exhaust fan.

Make you a duct muffler, not to hare,not expensive, somechicken wire and a couple of reducers and insulation, quite as a sleeping baby!

Yeah,,and ya can kill fan vibration and such by hanging the exhaust fan from bungie cords.

mikeydean said:
Make you a duct muffler, not to hare,not expensive, somechicken wire and a couple of reducers and insulation, quite as a sleeping baby!

Good idea, but whats the back pressure like?

WeedHopper said:
Yeah,,and ya can kill fan vibration and such by hanging the exhaust fan from bungie cords.

Right on WH, thats my first project when I get some down time.

When I made mine I went up in size...from 6in. to 8in then back to 6in to the roof vent. No noticeable back pressure! real quite, I even took the eggshell type foam and wrapped the fan its self no vibration at all.:hubba:

Sounds good, is there a DIY anywhere? Does this muffler look like a carbon filter, only in reverse? Thanks.........

Lots of ideas on that there you tubey thing:hubba:

Here is what I use and they work great. If you aint the best at DIY or don't have time, these are worth every penny :) hxxp://www.plantlightinghydroponics.com/phresh-duct-silencers-c-76_990_992.html

Thanks HP for the link, but I'm a DIY kinda guy and I have found plans for a simple muffler that looks like it should work great.

just use 5' to 10' flex duct on the exhaust side of the fan. Hang the fan with NON-RIDGID materials. Should eliminate all motor noise. If your duct is properly sized you will not hear the noise generated by the friction of the air.

For that fan to actually move close to the 400 cfm its rated for, you will need at least 10" (300-350 cfm) and I would use 12" (350-400 cfm). Without properly sized duct that fan will not operate at 100% and you will hear friction caused by the high velocity (air blowing).

Sheet Metal Worker, HVAC Journeyman

sasnak said:
Thanks HP for the link, but I'm a DIY kinda guy and I have found plans for a simple muffler that looks like it should work great.

Knowed that someday I would be help too someone!!!:clap: :headbang2: :rofl:

Thanks Y'all...I'm now on my way to a more stealthy operation.
Isolating vibration will be my first step. I'm thinking about hanging the fan between bungees. Any tips or ideas are welcome. Thanks

Latest posts

Back